Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Intermediate player still struggling.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Intermediate player still struggling. 27 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Impytus » September 20, 2013 6:28am | Report

Maybe try to pair up with an ADC not mage? Good ADC can easily poke enemies while being out of their range with just basic attacks. I think pairing up mage tank (like Ares) with another mage (Ra) is bad idea. Ra deals damage mostly by using his abilities. When he uses them to clear waves he has only a little mana to poke enemy. Enemies can also counter item You.Most ADC's can also clear waves well and they can poke enemy from distance with their basic attacks. In that way You dont have to rely on skills and CD to kill enemy.

Ive never had a huge ammount of luck telling teammates what to play. Either way, while i understand what you are saying. the problem ive often found is that without somebody who can clear minions fast, and push. we soon get pinned back against towers. its only really magic users that can clear minions in this way.

Impytus

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » September 20, 2013 6:38am | Report
Impytus wrote:

Ive never had a huge ammount of luck telling teammates what to play. Either way, while i understand what you are saying. the problem ive often found is that without somebody who can clear minions fast, and push. we soon get pinned back against towers. its only really magic users that can clear minions in this way.

Not really. Most ADC ( Neith, Anhur, Apollo) have a good wave clearing (especially Neith Some assassins like Loki can kill a wave fast with lvl 4 decoy

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ShinjiEvangelio » September 21, 2013 12:38am | Report
Anhur clears a wave with single hit of his 2, Apollo does the same with 1 and Neith... well she is even better. The only problem occurs when Your teammate dont know how to play ADC ;). It also happens often in casual. Just try that, it may be good for You. I personally hate to lane with tank when I play magical god (except of Freya).

ShinjiEvangelio

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Impytus » September 24, 2013 4:53am | Report
I stand corrected.

Still having trouble though. Ive tried many of these sugggestions but i still fall behind so much. I just played a game as bastet and all the enemy were 20 while i was still 12. I just dont understand why this is happening to me only.

Watchers gift hasnt been helping at all (and even if it did why do i never see anybody else using it but managing fine?) Buying wards seem to just set me back even further. Why do nobody else seem to have these problems?

Impytus

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ryvvik » September 24, 2013 7:00am | Report
Impytus wrote:

I stand corrected.

Still having trouble though. Ive tried many of these sugggestions but i still fall behind so much. I just played a game as bastet and all the enemy were 20 while i was still 12. I just dont understand why this is happening to me only.

Watchers gift hasnt been helping at all (and even if it did why do i never see anybody else using it but managing fine?) Buying wards seem to just set me back even further. Why do nobody else seem to have these problems?

Are you familiar with the fact that you have to stay near minions to get xp? If you stand too far back or spend too much time running between lanes or reecalling you'll fall behind.

Gold wise, if the tower kills your minion you won't get gold...but you still will get xp.

Ryvvik

Remarkable (7)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Impytus » September 24, 2013 7:58am | Report
Ryvvik wrote:

Are you familiar with the fact that you have to stay near minions to get xp? If you stand too far back or spend too much time running between lanes or reecalling you'll fall behind.

Gold wise, if the tower kills your minion you won't get gold...but you still will get xp.

How close do you need to be roughly? I dont tend to run between lanes but i do sometimes have to recall as the enemy will often push me back to the tower and start harassing my health. But thats just the thing. Im aware of those times, but how do I avoid that from happening too?

Gold is not really an issue here. At this point im more concerned about falling behind in levels and then becoming an easy target (and more often than not at this point, insta-killable).

Impytus

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by KrispyKritter » September 25, 2013 11:29pm | Report
Dude, you don't sound like a bad player to me in terms for your skills. There can be a lot of reasons you lose games, some of which were mentioned in the other comments, such as the gods you and your lane partner are playing being a weak match up against the gods your opponents are playing.

What I would suggest to you is watching gameplay/commentary done by an experienced player, such as Drybear. I think he is ranked in the top two hundred or so. He does a good job explaining team and individual strategy, how to equip the god he is playing, what that gods strengths and weaknesses are, etc. Watch newer videos because Smite has and continues to change a lot, or at least keep in mind how old the vid you are watching is.

I honestly think that is all you need to do. By listening to Drybear, I think you will be able to recognize where you are weak and how you can improve. I will give you one example of what part of your trouble might be. You said you either have a great game with like 15 kills or you get shut down right away and never get back into the game. It sounded to me like you have the view that getting a lot of kills means you are doing well and not getting many or any means you are doing poorly. Though it could mean that, just the opposite could be true. It really depends on the god and the role you are playing with that god in the game. Ares for example is a tank, granted the most aggressive tank in the game but a tank nonetheless. Tanks are generally about initiating fights and setting up kills for teammates playing gods with lots of attack damage or protecting teammates from taking damage. In fact, a tank getting kills might be a bad thing if those kills could have gone to your attack damage lane partner. Zero kills and lots of assists, and taking lots of damage is a tanks ultimate goals.

Sometimes you could fall behind in lane because the two people you are playing are more experienced and better than you and your lane partner. Or they could have advantages you and your lane partner do not. They may know each other well and play together frequently. They could even be in verbal communication and, hence, able to coordinate their actions quickly.

Maybe there are things you do not yet understand about strategy or item building the god you are playing. Smite is similar to some other games in this respect but may differ significantly at points. I know for a fact that there are decent and experienced players that still labor under some misunderstanding about certain aspects of the game. Let me give you a short test. Soul Eater's aura states that it gives 10% physical lifesteal and 10% physical power to ALL allied gods within 30ft. Question: Do magical allied gods benefit from this? Here is another one: Focused Void Blade's passive gives +25 physical penetration. Titan's Bane's passive gives 33% physical penetration. Notice that Titan's Bane expresses the pen as a percentage and Focused Void Blade does not. Is this significant?

The point is that there is a ton to learn about this ever-changing game. Do not get discouraged if you get your butt kicked sometimes. It happens to everyone, even pros.

KrispyKritter

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Impytus » September 26, 2013 6:13am | Report

Dude, you don't sound like a bad player to me in terms for your skills.

Thanks. I dont really consider myself a bad player either though its amazing I can still stay this possitve from the comments I get daily. Im not an amazing player by any means and I really do feel I could do a lot better. Lately Ive been trying a lot of different gods to learn how they all work so at the moment the memory of doing well is pretty distant.

You said you either have a great game with like 15 kills or you get shut down right away and never get back into the game. It sounded to me like you have the view that getting a lot of kills means you are doing well and not getting many or any means you are doing poorly. Though it could mean that, just the opposite could be true. It really depends on the god and the role you are playing with that god in the game. Ares for example is a tank, granted the most aggressive tank in the game but a tank nonetheless. Tanks are generally about initiating fights and setting up kills for teammates playing gods with lots of attack damage or protecting teammates from taking damage. In fact, a tank getting kills might be a bad thing if those kills could have gone to your attack damage lane partner. Zero kills and lots of assists, and taking lots of damage is a tanks ultimate goals.

Generally if my lane is doing better than the enemies in my lane despite how many kills I have personally I feel pretty good about it. Either way I tend to consider how well im personally doing based on if im positive with kills and deaths. While I have no problems with the concept of zero kills, zero deaths and many ***its, It never seems to work that way for me. I seem to easily fall behind in levels and then I start to become an easy target. This is when I begin to rack up many deaths. I cant not stick it out in a lane because otherwise I'll fall even further behind. But at the same time by persisting there Im making it easier for the enemy to rack up kills. This is mainly the problem Ive been struggling with. Sometimes I even surprise myself with how behind I am....going as far as a whole 10 levels behind the enemy players, making me canon fodder and easy pickings whenever i show up on the enemies map.

Sometimes you could fall behind in lane because the two people you are playing are more experienced and better than you and your lane partner. Or they could have advantages you and your lane partner do not. They may know each other well and play together frequently. They could even be in verbal communication and, hence, able to coordinate their actions quickly.

I mostly play with a friend so we usually have the same advantage even if it doesnt work in our favor.

Maybe there are things you do not yet understand about strategy or item building the god you are playing. Smite is similar to some other games in this respect but may differ significantly at points. I know for a fact that there are decent and experienced players that still labor under some misunderstanding about certain aspects of the game.

This is probably acurate. Though I cant believe knowing these things at this point is going to make a world of difference. Based on the problem I have that I explained above Im pretty much talking about something Ive never seen worse players than me struggle with. I feel completely on my own with this one.

Let me give you a short test. Soul Eater's aura states that it gives 10% physical lifesteal and 10% physical power to ALL allied gods within 30ft. Question: Do magical allied gods benefit from this? Here is another one: Focused Void Blade's passive gives +25 physical penetration. Titan's Bane's passive gives 33% physical penetration. Notice that Titan's Bane expresses the pen as a percentage and Focused Void Blade does not. Is this significant?

I dont honestly know the answer to either of these. Based on intuition Id guess that soul eaters aura WOULD affect magical gods since they still do physical damage, however they dont do much so the physical lifesteal and power really isnt going to do much for them.
I think that the importance of the Titan's bane passive is that it would do better for gods that already have high penetration as the effect of the passive will be greater. I could be totally wrong on that but if its a simple question of math that would make sense.
Looking forward to hearing your response to these.

The point is that there is a ton to learn about this ever-changing game. Do not get discouraged if you get your butt kicked sometimes. It happens to everyone, even pros.

I just wish it wouldnt feel like its me holding back the team so much. Anyway, thanks for all the time and thought youve put into making this post. Its greatly appreciated

Impytus

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by KrispyKritter » September 26, 2013 10:43am | Report
You're entirely welcome.
Technically, Soul Eater's aura applies to ally magicals because the passive says "all" allies within 30ft, BUT the reality is that it does them no benefit at all. In Smite you cannot build physical power on a magical god or vice versa. My understanding is that there was a time when you could do so, but that changed. I recently asked this question in a thread under the help for beginners section to see if I confirm my own view. What I had concluded on my own was that since it was "physical" damage and lifesteal that the aura gave that it was of no value to magics. I got two responses. The first said it did benefit magics. The second said that it "applied" to magics be didn't benefit them. I believe this latter answer is right. If you cannot build physical power as a magic, then you cannot have any, and if you cannot have any, then lifesteal would do you zero good because it is a percentage of your damage output. To give an example for clarity, If you have 20% lifesteal and you do 200 damage then you get 40 health back. Test it out with your friend. Play a magical and let the other play a physical and build Soul Eater, then see if you suddenly have lifesteal. I'm confident you won't. See if your stats show that you now have +10 physical power. I think not! One thing for certain, the two conflicting answers I got from these nice people proves what I said to you in my first reply: even experienced players can be uncertain and even mistaken about how things really work, which is why a clear, comprehensive, definitive, official guide is badly needed. Are you listening HighRez?

Focused Void Blade's passive gives the owner +25 of what they call "straight" physical penetration. Say you are a physical god and an enemy has 50 physical protection. You would need more than 50 physical power to do any true damage. If you had Void Blade, you would do your enemy 25 damage because the passive's penetration pierces the protection for the first 25. Titan's Bane, on the other hand, would only do 16.5 damage in this situation because its passive pierces a percentage of the enemy's physical protection, namely 33%, and obviously 33% of 50 = 16.5. Does this mean Focus Void Blade gives more physical penetration all the time? No, not at all. It depends on how much physical protection the enemy god has. If he has 300 physical protection, Bane's passive will pierce through the first 99 for you, aka a truck load. Tip: if an enemy god has 300 physical protection and your god does physical damage, go around him and kill the squishy hiding behind him. Otherwise, ignore this tank or get help. Just kidding obviously.

These questions were not easy. I am not a good player yet... and stress the yet; in fact, I am sure you are much better than I am, but I am a fastidious thinker and a stickler for these kinds of details. Whoever wrote the blurb for Soul Eater's passive was a bit careless. It is misleading. Why say all allied gods within 30ft get the lifeteal and power when magic gods are not actually benefited? If they are why use the adjective "physical" before lifesteal and power? Why not just say all allied gods within 30ft get 10% lifesteal and +10 power? I am not sure, but maybe it is because formerly gods could build in the opposite power band, but if so, it is time to update the blurb.

KrispyKritter

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by KrispyKritter » September 26, 2013 11:05am | Report
Impytus, one thing I wanted but forgot to say: There are lots of questions of this sort, at least, many such have occurred to me. For example, I had to ask a question about auras and passives in general. I wondered if they stacked. For example, I had to wonder if all five people on a team built Sovereignty would they all benefit from the passive if they were within 70ft of each other, say, in a team fight? If you don't recall off the top of your head, the passive gives +20 physical and +20 magical protection to all allies withing 70ft, which means everyone would have an extra (!)80 of both phys and mag protection. Yeah, I didn't think so either, but I had to ask, and I had to ask because there is no f#%king reference guide.

Ok here is another one: You build both Reinforced Boots and Hide of Leviathan. Both passives give you 30% crowd control. Do you now have 60%? Nope, though you would if Leviathan's passive did not list the crowd control as a "unique" passive. Being unique means, you guessed it, it does not stack. Unique is a fine word to describe what is intended here, but I would not call it unambiguous. It has other meanings. How can someone new be expected to understand this? I'll answer that; they shouldn't be. They might not even know what "stacking" refers to. Maybe if there was something like...oh I don't know...a reference guide with a glossary of terms that one could turn to for help. I know, I know...I'm talking crazy. Anyway...

Since the development of Smite is and probably will remain (to some extent) a work in progress, stuff changes frequently, making it very hard for anyone new to get up to speed, which is why they need a what? A reference guide? That's a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing it with me.

KrispyKritter

Notable (1)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }