Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Ares Rebuff??

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » God & Item Ideas » Ares Rebuff?? 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by LeeRedPanda » May 26, 2015 12:43am | Report
Watching the SPL and playing a lot more SMITE has really been amazing. SMITE is an amazing game, I think we can all agree on that. The development team has done an amazing job of keeping this MOBA special to the genera. That said, this is my personal opinion on Ares and his kit.

I assume you know Ares' kit already... if you don't here is a link: https://www.smitefire.com/smite/god/ares-23

The main ability I want to focus on is his ultimate, No Escape :Ares throws chains out to all enemy gods in an area around him. All enemies hit by the chains are pulled to Ares after 2.5s, taking damage and are stunned plus additional time for each enemy god hit by the ability.

This powerful ultimate can be devastating to a team fight, having the potential to pull all five of the enemy team to Ares position with a quick charge time. In his charge, he is CC immune but can still take damage. Not only allowing an entire team to be in one small area they are stunned for 1 second for an additional .2 seconds for every god hit.

I love this ability, and I think it is what makes Ares unique as a character, there is so much set up potential but all of this can be ruined by one, three hundred gold item... Purification beads. It is so disappointing an Ares chaining all 5 of the enemy team and getting nothing but just a little bit of damage. This can also lead to wasted ultimates on the same team. That said I think I figured out a way to add more unpredictability to No escape.

The way I want to change his ultimate is simple... allow Ares to choose when to pull his chain for a fraction of the damage and stun duration. Ares will still be allowed to wait the 2.5 seconds but at any time between he can pull in his targeted enemies. For example: If the full charge up time for Ares' ult is 2.5 seconds, players can hit the 4 key at the 1.25 seconds into his charge up. If they choose to do this the stun will last half as long and the damage will also be cut in half. If they choose to pull at 2 seconds the stun will only last 80 percent of what it could be, same with the damage. I believe putting this simple mechanic into the game will make Ares a more volatile God, allowing his presence in the late game as well as the early game. The pull will be more unpredictable, and it won't be that purification beads are now worthless against Ares, they can still be used if timed correctly. It is just to much for a single item to cancel out an ultimate like Ares'.

Leave your comments down bellow:
Like the idea but think it needs touches feel free to comment. Maybe we can actually make this change happen.
The name is MarkNutt

LeeRedPanda

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 26, 2015 1:03am | Report
*laughing*

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wolfman5665 » May 26, 2015 1:51am | Report
You know most smart players activate Greater Purification as soon as the ult starts, right? So this is basically useless.

Wolfman5665

Remarkable (6)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » May 26, 2015 6:41am | Report
With that change, you will only have more chance to pull Xbalanque, Chang'e and Hel who are enough confident to not take beads.
Otherwise, yeah, it's useless.

Except in Conquest, Ares basically forces enemy players to get Greater Purification, meaning the whole 2.5 seconds ability is already fully covered.

Forcing all enemy players to spend 900g and an active slot, somewhat early in the game, is already more than enough by itself. I don't think they need to buff him more.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Diomedes232 » May 26, 2015 9:45am | Report
I have actually discussed this very same buff with my clan mates and I think it is an amazing idea, after all a max CDr ares has a shorter cooldown on his hot than beads even if it's not by much but there are many times my beads have come off cooldown while the chains are already attached and I just barely manage to pop them in time. With this buff I probably wouldn't have been so lucky. It would also help counter all those gods that don't buy beads cause they have cc immune ults that don last long like hercs Boulder throw lasts like 1 sec at most but he uses that to escape ares ult every time cause he knows exactly when the pulls coming.

Diomedes232

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 26, 2015 10:33am | Report
Yeah, make an overpowered ultimate even more uncounterable. Bad idea.

The fact is, the only reason why Ares' ultimate isn't completely broken is because it's easy to counter, relatively speaking. If it were less easy to counter, it would be broken.

Much like the other five billion AoE CC tank ults, you can't avoid being hit by it; ergo, beads because beads is totally counterplay, guys.

The only difference between this and other tank ults is the delay and the end effect being much more powerful than a simple knockup or stun.

If Ares had Athena's/Geb's/Ymir's basic kit but his current ultimate, he would be banned every game. That's how powerful the ult is.

Reworking the ultimate like that would be complete, utter, RNG-based ********. It wouldn't be skill-based. It would be luck-based. Since there is no delay between you recasting it early and it pulling people, that means you can just wait for the panic-beads/ult to expire, and then pull them into instant, unavoidable death. Or you just yank it instantly and they still die. There would be no warning - the other player has to just GUESS whether or not it's the right time, or they die.

And that's not mentioning how the 3 sec beads would render this useless anyway.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » May 26, 2015 12:05pm | Report
How about using this idea ( Ares can pull up his ult whenever he wants).
But the time window would be 5 seconds instead of 2.5 seconds.

However, because this would make him really too strong, Ares would be vulnerable during his ult and takes additional damage (thus, keeping his ult longer for beads come down may kill him instead).

Just an idea.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }