Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

A General Summary of my thoughts on Smite for a weeks play

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » A General Summary of my thoughts on Smite for a weeks play 2 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Solaris Draco » September 3, 2013 7:16am | Report
Hello Everyone, I am rather new to MOBA games and I've decided instead of just a introduction I'll give some general thoughts on Smite and ask for input of others. Expect Wall of Text but please bear with me.

Now just to start with, I use a xbox 360 controller to play near all my PC games due to 1st me being a console gamer for about 10 years before going into PC and 2nd my dad (who owns the comp) says I'm not allowed to overuse the keyboard as the last comps one broke (which is silly IMO but I have to abide said rule) and do well with it and I myself have tried other MOBAs being Awesomenauts and Super Monday Night Combat but did not like them as with Awesomenauts I found the joypad use did not work right (by personal experience you could only aim where you were running and could not fire backward) and in SMNC that FPS aiming in that with a joypad with SMNC's aiming type vs TF2's is just to far apart and also that I played the orignal Monday Night Combat and that too much had changed (Rules had Changed, QQ)

So a friend of mine (Nazokilla1) a while back sent me a referral link for Smite and said that you could use joypad so I decided to go look at some game footage (TotalBiscuit) and I liked the game so I accept the link, input controls (Powers on face buttons, actives and items on d-pad being the non default settings), have a bit of training as Ra and got a quick grip on the controls while being tutored on what to do by Nazokilla, then made a custom item build (with recommended and popular items) and liked the game a lot.

I'll start with detailing my Ra style of play and builds.
1st Build
Start with: Vampiric Shroud, Meditation LV 1 and 3 Health Pots (buying pots again when low)
Item buy in order: Shoes of the Magi, Gem of Isolation, Doom Orb, Void Stone, Rod of Tahuti
Buy Purification Beads depending on opposing god CC with CC power depending level if not Sprint instead, Potion of Magical Might when maxed all else out with nothing else to buy.
2nd build is the same but with Gem 3rd and Orb 4th with Winged Wand 2nd after Starting gear.
I play Ra as a speedy glass cannon mainly to annoy, support and help teammates escape while pushing down lanes with high lane clear power or sniping with Searing Pain while using Speed of Light to chase down or escape.

So on to some of my more notable matches.
1st Conquest Match : Click for full details
This being my first big match (I'd played a bit of Joust 3v3 before this) went really well for my team mainly due to the Hades on mid against me. I killed him 6 times as he tried to kill me while in tower range (Which IDK why he even thought it was a good idea). My only death was Ymir ganking me once of his five attempts and basicly it was just all flowing our way though there was the funny moment were the whole enemy team went mid to kill me and then both the friendly Hel and Chang'e showed up (with the Arachne popping in and out to gank at points) to defend mid with me while right got pushed by Nazo. The enemy lost all their ground on right and fell back and very slightly after surrendered we won.

I really enjoyed this match though I really did not like how idiotic the enemy Hades was though it was a nice enough play into my first proper game.

Conquest with Anubis the Cowardly Dog : Click for full details
My 2nd conquest match were I first began to witness players wanting to give up. Our Anubis (Who took right lane while I took mid) fed the enemy Artemis and then put out a surrender vote twice when we began to lose towers. Me and Nazo always rejected the votes and some time later, we began to pull back ground with the Anubis doing OK just not great and after winning a team fight with a full enemy wipe well pushed into the enemy base and won.

I myself really did not like how much some players just give up at the worst times and more often then not, that they just had a bad run at that time and they just to stick up and try again.

Arena with The Bringer of the End Times (Penta kill Loki) : Click for full details
This match went very quickly in my teams favor as we pushed ground on the arena and within 7 mins started to spawn lock the enemy and I witnessed just how deadly Loki is in the right hands (which with all Lokis I've been against thus far to date, none have been great, thankfully for me) with generaly good teamplay (Me and Guan Yu supporting, Yamana and Ymir tanking, basic role stuff) by my team while the enemy kept coming out only one or two at a time with everytime we did head back and they regained the field, they just lost it again when we all came back out.

In the Post-Game Lobby, the enemy team whined that Loki was OP which I myself think it does depend on who plays him and I've not really played MOBAs enough to know whats really OP.

The worst loss I've had to date, Joust 3v3 : Click for full details
The rest of the matches I've noted have been of the good times I've had in Smite though I felt the most annoying side of MOBAs when I first tried Sobek who I just brought with favor with this also being my most recent match, I'll note the build first.

Start with: Mark of the Vanguard, Meditation LV 1 and 3 health pots (refill pots when low)
Items: Plated Greaves, Breastplate of Valor, Wall of Absolution, Hide of the Leviathan, Stone of Gaia
Grab Sprint/Beads if needed based on enemy team, Elixir of Defense when all maxed
Protect teammates and pull foes when the chance arises, use ult to finish foes and/or regen mana, Sickening Strike as lane clear and health regen and Tail Whip as exrta damage or keepaway/escape.

Put bluntly, The Vamana was idle mostly and EVEN recalled after getting hit once and left after about 5 mins and during one my base returns, Ra dies once and blames me for not protecting him dispite me noting that I was returning and left too and while I tried my best (getting 2 kills by tower pulling and pulling the Loki who attacked me into the Minotaur along with all my kills and assists being due to me doing this) there was nothing I could do. Seeing as the two players with me were in a party, I felt like I put on the spot into a bad situation and the fact that they had the highest account levels (and therefore playtime) of anyone in the match annoyed me to no end.
I'm normally a nice guy and can be very forgiving of a teammates mistakes and just try my best, not to get annoyed by a loss and I've had it happen at least 5 times now. This match outright has changed my view on quitters in this game and MOBAs in general so with all quitters now I'll be reporting them if they leave and cause a loss or leave for too long then come back to be feeding.

This is basicly so far how I've experienced Smite and I really enjoy it. Its engaging, refreshing to come to after playing FPSes and RPGs and its controller use is near on par with K+M with just slightly less turn speed by what I've seen but with the major annoyances that can happen it can sometimes be hard to have fun, but I'd guess thats how MOBAs go though eh?

I only really have played Smite with Nazo so if you like me, you can add me, just ask.

I also was unsure were to put this forum wise so if I got it wrong, sorry about that.

Edit: Put up Sobek Build and extra paragraph
Edit 2: Fixed some typos

Solaris Draco

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Blissey1 » September 3, 2013 9:14am | Report
Anubis the Cowardly Dog is freakin hilarious. I'd watch that show.

also, that sobek build? you should totally try to fit a Bulwark of Hope in there somewhere. You're just not a tank if you don't have the Bulwark, imo. that and Ethereal Staff for the magic tanks like sobek

Blissey1

Remarkable (6)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }