Help Support Our Growing Community

SmiteFire is a community that lives to help every Smite player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support SmiteFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account






Or

Vote received! Would you like to let the author know their guide helped you and leave them a message?

Banner for Medusa guides

Look At Me! - Medusa Critical Damage Build (S8 Patch 8.11 All Modes)

51 8 50,499
7.2
by Parallax Joker updated December 26, 2021

Smite God: Medusa

Build Guide Discussion 0 More Guides
Choose a Build: Basic Atk
Basic Atk Ability-Based
Tap Mouse over an item or ability icon for detailed info

Build Summary

Starter

Notes Since only mana sustain can be an issue early game with Hunters Cowl, I advise going for health and mana potions separately instead of multi potions. Alternatively, Deaths toll can also be used, yet due to atk speed and lifesteal differences, Id strongly advise against it for this build. Keep in mind that with Death's Toll, starting with boots rather than morning star for quick-finishing the first atk-speed item (Ninja Tabi) can be a game changing step, so keep that in mind.

Notes

Since only mana sustain can be an issue early game with Hunters Cowl, I advise going for health and mana potions separately instead of multi potions. Alternatively, Deaths toll can also be used, yet due to atk speed and lifesteal differences, Id strongly advise against it for this build. Keep in mind that with Death's Toll, starting with boots rather than morning star for quick-finishing the first atk-speed item (Ninja Tabi) can be a game changing step, so keep that in mind.

Build Item Leather Cowl Leather Cowl
Build Item Morningstar Morningstar
Build Item Healing Potion Healing Potion
2
Build Item Mana Potion Mana Potion
2

Full Build

Notes Hunter's Cowl sustain by itself with crit hits should be enough to hold up
Dominance is a good mana sustain item and the passive for pen on basic atk will help a lot
Rage + Deathbringer is the ultimate crit combination, as 70% crit chance + 30% crit dmg increase with each crit hit. Make sure to buy Rage first for stacking before full build (as it is also cheaper)

Notes

Hunter's Cowl sustain by itself with crit hits should be enough to hold up
Dominance is a good mana sustain item and the passive for pen on basic atk will help a lot
Rage + Deathbringer is the ultimate crit combination, as 70% crit chance + 30% crit dmg increase with each crit hit. Make sure to buy Rage first for stacking before full build (as it is also cheaper)

Build Item Hunter's Cowl Hunter's Cowl
Build Item Transcendence Transcendence
Build Item Asi Asi
Build Item Ichaival Ichaival
Build Item Rage Rage
Build Item Deathbringer Deathbringer

Medusa's Skill Order Notes Acid Spray 1st for lane clearing and poke damage
Viper Shot 2nd for single-target damage (with DoT)
Lacerate 3rd for engagement/escape with good damage, root and anti-heal
Petrify on-demand/availability, as one of the most useful ults which can combo with pretty much every other god, do lots of damage and even if doenst stun gazing opponents, it does slow them, aloowing for the kill.

Notes

Acid Spray 1st for lane clearing and poke damage
Viper Shot 2nd for single-target damage (with DoT)
Lacerate 3rd for engagement/escape with good damage, root and anti-heal
Petrify on-demand/availability, as one of the most useful ults which can combo with pretty much every other god, do lots of damage and even if doenst stun gazing opponents, it does slow them, aloowing for the kill.

Viper Shot

1 X Y
Viper Shot
2 8 11 12 14

Acid Spray

2 A B
Acid Spray
1 4 6 7 10

Lacerate

3 B A
Lacerate
3 15 16 18 19

Petrify

4 Y X
Petrify
5 9 13 17 20
Viper Shot
2 8 11 12 14

Viper Shot

1 X
Medusa gains increased attack speed and her basic attacks become augmented, shooting Vipers that poison the targets hit dealing damage over time.

Ability Type: Buff
Damage: 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 (+10% of your Physical Power) every 0.5s for 1.5s per charge
Attack Speed Increase: 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 / 80%
Viper Shots: 4
Cost: 50 / 55 / 60 / 65 / 70
Cooldown: 10s
Acid Spray
1 4 6 7 10

Acid Spray

2 A
Medusa hurls back and spits out acid that damages the first enemy hit and sprays out acid in a cone behind them. Enemies hit by Acid Spray will have their healing taken reduced. Acid spray will explode on statues Medusa has created.

Ability Type: Line
Damage: 90 / 140 / 190 / 240 / 290 (+80% of your Physical Power)
Healing Reduction: 50%
Healing Reduction Lifetime: 4s
Range: 45
Cost: 60 / 65 / 70 / 75 / 80
Cooldown: 14s
Lacerate
3 15 16 18 19

Lacerate

3 B
Medusa quickly slithers forward, damaging enemies she passes through. The first enemy god she encounters causes her to stop before she damages and roots the god hit.

Ability Type: Dash
Damage: 80 / 130 / 180 / 230 / 280 (+80% of your Physical Power)
Root Duration: 1s
Range: 55
Cost: 70
Cooldown: 15 / 14.5 / 14 / 13.5 / 13s
Petrify
5 9 13 17 20

Petrify

4 Y
Medusa removes her mask revealing her true face, delivering a powerful blast from her horrifying Gorgon gaze. Enemies take damage and are stunned if they are looking at Medusa. Enemies not looking at Medusa take 75% damage and are slowed. Enemy gods that are killed during Medusa's gaze will turn to a stone statue and remain behind as a reminder to others.

Ability Type: Cone
Damage: 300 / 400 / 500 / 600 / 700 (+100% of your Physical Power)
Stun Duration: 2s
Movement Speed Slow: 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40%
Slow Duration: 3s
Range: 70
Cost: 100
Cooldown: 90s

Medusa Threats

Tap each threat level to view Medusa’s threats

Max
2
Major
1
Even
2
Minor
1
Tiny
2

Medusa Synergies

Tap each synergy level to view Medusa’s synergies

Ideal
3
Strong
1
OK
1
Low
1
None
0

Extended Build

Mid Game (before 4th Item)

Notes This should be the initial core of your build. By then, mana and health sustain should be good for this game stage and you should start to focus on dmg output. If still struggling for survival, buying chalice of healing can come in handy to avoid too many fountain travels. And dont forget to get wards to avoid surprise ganks.
Dominance can be a good replacement to Transcendence if lacking pen

Notes

This should be the initial core of your build. By then, mana and health sustain should be good for this game stage and you should start to focus on dmg output. If still struggling for survival, buying chalice of healing can come in handy to avoid too many fountain travels. And dont forget to get wards to avoid surprise ganks.
Dominance can be a good replacement to Transcendence if lacking pen

Build Item Leather Cowl Leather Cowl
Build Item Transcendence Transcendence
Build Item Asi Asi

4th Item alternatives

Notes This 4th item should be the main atk speed item of the build.

Wind demon passive will proc 90% of the time on full build, rendering an extra atk speed buff constantly

Odysseus Bow is a wise choice for maximun base atk speed and passive will help a lot with poke dmg and lane clearance (particularly good for Joust matches) not to mention being the cheapest atk speed item.

Ichaival is a good counter atk speed item and the increased power gained should not be ignored, as it does increase damage, especially on critical hits, mauling enemy ADCs on 1v1's.

Toxic blade is a good option for early anti-heal (Shadowsteel Shuriken also works, yet will only proc on crit hits, rendering it stronger at late game). The movement speed increase is also important, as Medusa's passive does benefit a lot from it while strafing and backpedalling (easier to evade enemy strikes while raining hell on opponnents). Moreover, Toxic blade does have more atk speed increase than the shuriken counterpart, rendering it as a more viable anti-heal option for this build).

Notes

This 4th item should be the main atk speed item of the build.

Wind demon passive will proc 90% of the time on full build, rendering an extra atk speed buff constantly

Odysseus Bow is a wise choice for maximun base atk speed and passive will help a lot with poke dmg and lane clearance (particularly good for Joust matches) not to mention being the cheapest atk speed item.

Ichaival is a good counter atk speed item and the increased power gained should not be ignored, as it does increase damage, especially on critical hits, mauling enemy ADCs on 1v1's.

Toxic blade is a good option for early anti-heal (Shadowsteel Shuriken also works, yet will only proc on crit hits, rendering it stronger at late game). The movement speed increase is also important, as Medusa's passive does benefit a lot from it while strafing and backpedalling (easier to evade enemy strikes while raining hell on opponnents). Moreover, Toxic blade does have more atk speed increase than the shuriken counterpart, rendering it as a more viable anti-heal option for this build).

Build Item Odysseus' Bow Odysseus' Bow
Build Item Toxic Blade Toxic Blade
Build Item Wind Demon Wind Demon
Build Item Ichaival Ichaival

Useful itens

Notes Blood forge and Asi are superbs for sustain, while Fail-not, Qins, Poisoned Star and Crusher are great aggressive options.

Cooldowns on Medusa shouldn't be a major issue, but just in case, Jotunn's Wrath should solve this. Hydra's Lament can also help and provide a buff to BA after skills, favoring a hybrid playstyle well.

Malice would top the cap crit chance and does not help with ultimate refreshement, so it is a no-go for me.
Qin's Sais with its passive + critical from Rage and Deathbringer can melt down pretty much every tank on opposing team if you got a decent %crit going

Alternatively, as dmg output should already be optimal, Berserkers/ Shifter's Shield can be good choices for increased survivability. Devourer's Gauntlet and Winged Blade are good utility itens, for physical power and lifesteal increase + slow immunity and CC% reduction respectivelly, both ultimately favoring survivability.

Fail-not, increased critical chance (for whole team), cooldown and penetration looks good.

Notes

Blood forge and Asi are superbs for sustain, while Fail-not, Qins, Poisoned Star and Crusher are great aggressive options.

Cooldowns on Medusa shouldn't be a major issue, but just in case, Jotunn's Wrath should solve this. Hydra's Lament can also help and provide a buff to BA after skills, favoring a hybrid playstyle well.

Malice would top the cap crit chance and does not help with ultimate refreshement, so it is a no-go for me.
Qin's Sais with its passive + critical from Rage and Deathbringer can melt down pretty much every tank on opposing team if you got a decent %crit going

Alternatively, as dmg output should already be optimal, Berserkers/ Shifter's Shield can be good choices for increased survivability. Devourer's Gauntlet and Winged Blade are good utility itens, for physical power and lifesteal increase + slow immunity and CC% reduction respectivelly, both ultimately favoring survivability.

Fail-not, increased critical chance (for whole team), cooldown and penetration looks good.

Build Item Asi Asi
Build Item Bloodforge Bloodforge
Build Item Berserker's Shield Berserker's Shield
Build Item Shifter's Shield Shifter's Shield
Build Item Fail-Not Fail-Not
Build Item The Crusher The Crusher
Build Item The Executioner The Executioner
Build Item Poisoned Star Poisoned Star
Build Item Jotunn's Wrath Jotunn's Wrath
Build Item Brawler's Beat Stick Brawler's Beat Stick
Build Item Devourer's Gauntlet Devourer's Gauntlet
Build Item Hydra's Lament Hydra's Lament
Build Item Qin's Sais Qin's Sais
Build Item Winged Blade Winged Blade

Relics

Notes Relic depends mainly on the opponnents, but as usual for ADC, Beads and Aegis are good options.

Heavenly Wings relic semms more useful than Blink for me, so let this be a reminder that there are other relics that works fine for chasing/escaping enemies.

Sundering Spear is a must-have facing a Nike/Cu Chullain/Geb

Belt of Frenzy or Horrific Emblem are also viable options, specially for aggressive teams

Notes

Relic depends mainly on the opponnents, but as usual for ADC, Beads and Aegis are good options.

Heavenly Wings relic semms more useful than Blink for me, so let this be a reminder that there are other relics that works fine for chasing/escaping enemies.

Sundering Spear is a must-have facing a Nike/Cu Chullain/Geb

Belt of Frenzy or Horrific Emblem are also viable options, specially for aggressive teams

Build Item Purification Beads Purification Beads
Build Item Aegis Amulet Aegis Amulet
Build Item Heavenly Wings Heavenly Wings
Build Item Blink Rune Blink Rune
Build Item Belt of Frenzy Belt of Frenzy
Build Item Horrific Emblem Horrific Emblem
Build Item Sundering Spear Sundering Spear

Alt Meta-based build

Notes Devourer's Gauntlet + Fail Not are always favorite Medusa itens. Combo it with Deathbringer + Wind Demon and you have yourself and all-purpose killer.

Notes

Devourer's Gauntlet + Fail Not are always favorite Medusa itens. Combo it with Deathbringer + Wind Demon and you have yourself and all-purpose killer.

Build Item Hunter's Cowl Hunter's Cowl
Build Item Devourer's Gauntlet Devourer's Gauntlet
Build Item Dominance Dominance
Build Item Wind Demon Wind Demon
Build Item Fail-Not Fail-Not
Build Item Deathbringer Deathbringer

Crit Tank Shredder

Notes Crit + Pen + Good atk speed and passives from this build will do fine

Notes

Crit + Pen + Good atk speed and passives from this build will do fine

Build Item Hunter's Cowl Hunter's Cowl
Build Item Dominance Dominance
Build Item Asi Asi
Build Item Wind Demon Wind Demon
Build Item Rage Rage
Build Item Qin's Sais Qin's Sais

Hybrid Shredder

Notes The reduced cooldown from Jotunn's Wrath combos well with Hydra's Lament passive. Qin's Sais can be rushed earlier, if enemy team go for tankier builds overall

Notes

The reduced cooldown from Jotunn's Wrath combos well with Hydra's Lament passive. Qin's Sais can be rushed earlier, if enemy team go for tankier builds overall

Build Item Hunter's Cowl Hunter's Cowl
Build Item Hydra's Lament Hydra's Lament
Build Item Asi Asi
Build Item Ichaival Ichaival
Build Item Jotunn's Wrath Jotunn's Wrath
Build Item Qin's Sais Qin's Sais

W/ Death's Toll Starter

Notes Early game low-atk speed is an issue for me, therefore rushing Ninja Tabi or even another atk speed item (such as Odysseu's Bow)should adapt fine to your playstyle.

Notes

Early game low-atk speed is an issue for me, therefore rushing Ninja Tabi or even another atk speed item (such as Odysseu's Bow)should adapt fine to your playstyle.

Build Item Death's Embrace Death's Embrace
Build Item Asi Asi
Build Item Dominance Dominance
Build Item Odysseus' Bow Odysseus' Bow
Build Item Rage Rage
Build Item Deathbringer Deathbringer

Full Anti-heal Hybrid

Notes Starting with Morningstar from Hydra's lament helps with early sustain, yet rushing Toxic Blade before finishing Hydra's Lament can ease the proccess and proc antiheal first

Notes

Starting with Morningstar from Hydra's lament helps with early sustain, yet rushing Toxic Blade before finishing Hydra's Lament can ease the proccess and proc antiheal first

Build Item Hunter's Cowl Hunter's Cowl
Build Item Hydra's Lament Hydra's Lament
Build Item Asi Asi
Build Item Toxic Blade Toxic Blade
Build Item Brawler's Beat Stick Brawler's Beat Stick
Build Item The Crusher The Crusher

Full Antiheal Crit

Notes Basic atk-based build, stacking Toxic Blade's passive with Shadowsteel Shuriken's.

Notes

Basic atk-based build, stacking Toxic Blade's passive with Shadowsteel Shuriken's.

Build Item Hunter's Cowl Hunter's Cowl
Build Item Dominance Dominance
Build Item Asi Asi
Build Item Toxic Blade Toxic Blade
Build Item Rage Rage
Build Item Shadowsteel Shuriken Shadowsteel Shuriken

Intro

Hey there! Im a lvl 60 still-learning-my-way-on-ADC-role casual player. Medusa is by far my favorite hunter and first Diamond Rank X god that I got. After started playing on Ranked Joust matches as her, I decided to make my first guide about her and how incredibly aggressive a Med crit build can be.

I know that many itens are not meta-picks for her, but hey, I play for fun and garantee that you will enjoy this build on her.

I hope that you have a good time with this build or that at least I can bring some useful insights for your own medusa builds

Good luck on your next game <3

Skills

Upgrading Acid Spray 1st is a must for lane clearing and decent poking dmg. remember to correctly explore the cone damage for optimal usage of the skill. Procing first hit on statues/minions can help to finish off retreating enemies, specially since Lacerate can be blocked by minions/other gods in the path. Stealing buffs/scorpions/harpies while also poking enemy can be a useful asset, as well.

Viper Shot is extremely usefull for burst damage and if activated first, lacerate's root on hit will secure at least the first 2 strikes. This will be your main single target damaging/kill securing ability and should be upgraded second. Note that it does proc a poison DoT.

Lacerate is the escape/engaging ability for Medusa. Since it does root opponnent and provides a reduced healing debuff, it is a good engaging strike, followed by Viper Shot and finish with Acid Spray. By the time all other skills are on cooldown, it should be back up, so a 2nd use should serve as kill secure/escape skill.

Petrify should be upgraded ASAP, as damaging scale will come in handy, specially in teamfights. Although easily countered by quickturning/Purification Beads, the damage and slow applied are of utmost importance for kill secure on chases. Normally, Petrify can be used for engagement and stunned time is more than enough to kill or finish enemy team. It is also viable for procing beads.



**Please, keep in mind your passive penalty-reduced movement speed, as a moving Medusa can be a real challenge to bullseye.

Updates/Patches

As of early season 8, boots are no more. In this sense, speacial attention to movement speed itens can be a game changing choice, specially mid-game.

Acid Spray now has an anti-heal effect, on top of everything else. Medusa is now unstoppable

Leave a Comment

You need to log in before commenting.

Collapse All Comments

Loading Comments...
Load More Comments
League of Legends Build Guide Author Parallax Joker
Look At Me! - Medusa Critical Damage Build (S8 Patch 8.11 All Modes)
Table of Contents

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved