Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Tank Discussion

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Tank Discussion 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheGenocideLord » April 16, 2014 3:38pm | Report
Not sure where this goes, but I'll put it here for now. Well, as a regular tank player, I would like to discuss some common strategies and builds with other reggies. So I would like to ask you, what build do you use? I find myself frequently usin MoV and Reinforced Greaves for the early tankiness. I'll give you reasons for why I pick it over Watcher's Gift and Midas.

1: Like I said, MoV and Reinforced Greaves give you more early tankiness than Watcher's and Midas.

2: I've noticed that if you stand like a foot or two away from your hunter when he last hits, you actually get last hit bonus also(plz try this out before calling me noob or ******ed.) Which would make Watcher's useless and you can spend those 800 gold coins on the tankiness MoV gives you.

3: Midas does not give you enough tankiness as Greaves does, and you can put the example that it boosts your gps up to 5. Yet, I can contradict that with two reasons; first, like I said before, you can get last hits from minions so it should keep your gold steady. Second, the extra tankiness lets you get waaaaay more assists in which you get a higher gold income.

So let me state this again, what do you think on this? I want to hear some answers please before starting another Discussion.
What my yearbook quote should be: "Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Ytrrium Oxygen Uranium Bismuth Technetium Einsteinium"

TheGenocideLord

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by KellyG » April 17, 2014 2:42pm | Report
Well,

I think it's important to note that as a tank who's supporting your hunter, you will also need to roam a bunch, ganking mid lane and securing mid camps. So, off the bat, the argument that the bonus from standing next to your hunter is somewhat flawed just by virtue of the fact that you will need to roam/rotate. I personally only go midas/watcher's gift whenever I play tanks that have decent escapes (athena). I know that the extra gold will benefit me and that I can escape when I'm at dangerously low health.

However, when I play really aggressive tanks like ymir and ares, I always go MoV + reinforced greaves because I'll be taking a lot of minion damage as well as trying to soak up damage during battles early game.

So yea, you're definitely right in that they don't provide tankiness, but a lot of tanks don't need that tankiness early in the game and so the gp5 is for sure worth it. I'm definitely going to try out that whole standing next to the hunter though, I never knew that was a thing.

KellyG

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheGenocideLord » April 17, 2014 3:38pm | Report
Yeah, but for the first few levels you're gonna be there supporting your hunter, soaking up all the damage. I like the fact that you play Athena <3. Now what I find the most often when I play her is that; I soak up all the damage with my taunt, I rush in there with my 1+3 to get the enemy squishy for my hunter, and the step is repeated until we destroy the tower. So I would find that MoV+Greaves would give you a better sustainability bonus. About the roaming, I think that is an even BETTER example of why you should get MoV and Greaves. The tankiness just helps you go from lane to lane, the underfarming being replaced with assists.
What my yearbook quote should be: "Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Ytrrium Oxygen Uranium Bismuth Technetium Einsteinium"

TheGenocideLord

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » April 17, 2014 4:31pm | Report
Just to start this with, I don't play Athena, but Sobek.

1- I like the MoV + Midas or WG + Reinforced Greaves. Either way, I do enjoy the tankiness, but I also look forward the gold income. Without the Gold items, you'll have so little gold.

2- I might try that later. Perhaps I'm wasting gold on those Gold income items?

3- Yeah, that's why I've been picking more the WG + Reinforced Greaves combo.

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by KellyG » April 18, 2014 8:35pm | Report
Btw, I did the whole, stand next to hunter thing without Watcher's Gift. It didn't work. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I highly doubt that I am. There's no bonus without WG that I'm aware of

KellyG

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by festive1 » April 24, 2014 2:10am | Report
I do watchers and reinforced greaves as Ymir, although I haven't really used Midas Boots.

I pick watchers for the gold and the sustain, and greaves for the tankiness. Now that greaves has been buffed, I think they are far better than Midas.
You can check out my cool Ymir guide by clicking here
Thanks Lprats for making an awesome Ymir drawing :)
If you want to look at my old signature click by clicking here
PM Me if you want me to try to make signature for you

festive1

Memorable (14)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Shavul » April 24, 2014 7:00pm | Report
I always go watchers+midas. I do not need to be quite tanky early game, because I tend to play safe by being super aggresive. Let me explain.

My first concern is not killing the enemy, but clearing the wave. I hit the archers most of the time so the adc can get last hits on them easy and we can clear the wave before the enemy. Then, if I see it fit, I'll charge into one of the enemies (the tank or adc work early game, whoever is less risky to pick on) so we can deal some good damage. This will make them play more safe and we shouldn't worry about them picking on us without a second thought.

The second thing I do is bait their tank's CC. If I bait it and back off, they have nothing to stop me. So, hit the minions, bait CC, clear, charge, deal damage, back off. If they are weakened enough I'll try to get the kill, but kills are not that important. If I send them out the lane or force them to sit under tower, we'll farm more and the kills will come eventually.

Also, forcing them to play carefuly and weakening them lets me roam more, since my adc will have an easier time fighting alone when needed due to having to risk less in short engagements. And, since I'll be roaming, I'll need all the gold that I can get, so watchers+midas will let me get a true def item soon enough.

It works for me. The problem with this is, of course, ganks. Being less bulky means less capacity of saving your adc's ***. Because playing support means being the brain and the shield of your adc. If we can make it through, I'll unload CC everywhere, taking more damage than the carry, and then run away and back off. If I feel like one of us will have to die, I'll unload my CC while staying in and then run away from my adc, so they follow me and the adc keeps being safe.

This is the reason why I go Eye instead of saving a slot for actives and buying wards. I do not know how long will I need to stay in lane and since I'm not that bulky I need to see what's happening around. Being careful I save my life and my adc's.

Also, I take a health pot and a mana pot whenever I can, since I like to stay out of base as long as I can. I need the adc to be as free as he can be, and I need to be healthy to roam or to recover after a failed initiation or after saving someone.

Well, here's my short input on how I play tank.

Shavul

Remarkable (7)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » April 24, 2014 7:15pm | Report
I'm weird. I go, depending on how much the enemy can harass (If it's like Geb Neith I'm not worried, but if it's like AMC Aphrodite I'm terrified), I either go Watcher's + Boots + HoG + 2 pots, or Cloak + Boots + Many pots
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }