Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

General Computer Help

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » General Computer Help 5 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by M4XiiMUS » March 28, 2014 5:37pm | Report
So brought my laptop over to a friends house last weekend and since then it has been running really REALLY poorly. Before I could get 100-120 fps on Smite with max settings, but now it is at 20-30 fps at max settings. Lowering the settings doesn't even change the fps. My computer is very good and very new, so I hope I wont have to buy a new one. Any ideas on what could be happening?

Also, it's not just fps that is acting weird, my connection is much slower than before and I am hardwired to my router so I'm really confused.

M4XiiMUS

Prominent (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » March 28, 2014 6:41pm | Report
I'm not entirely sure. I would have to actually look at it myself, though, that's because I'm not an expert.

However, I will say that I'm pretty positive this is not an issue that you'd have to buy a new one or anything. Worst comes to worst, you might have to do a clean wipe of your hard drive and reinstall your OS, which isn't that bad, anyway. I try to wipe my hard drive clean every once in a while just to flush out a bunch of junk.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » March 28, 2014 6:51pm | Report
I know this is obvious, but have you tried rebooting your computer?

And also, yeah, I had a problem exactly like this once, so I did a complete factory reset and now it works fine. But before you go doing that, I suggest you run a full virus scan.

You could also try right-clicking your desktop and going to Graphics Properties (or Graphics Options, I don't know what it will be for your OS, I have Windows 8) and seeing if anything is wrong there. Also, check your power plan. I had mine set to "Low Performance" once and didn't realize it. Low performance extends battery life but makes things run poorly, whilst high performance decreases battery life but makes things run better. You can check this by clicking the battery icon on the lower right corner, usually next to time/date (again I don't know what your OS is so this may be different).

You could also try running a disk defragmenter, although I forgot how to actually do that so you'd need to google it.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by M4XiiMUS » March 28, 2014 8:13pm | Report
Firraria wrote:

I know this is obvious, but have you tried rebooting your computer?

And also, yeah, I had a problem exactly like this once, so I did a complete factory reset and now it works fine. But before you go doing that, I suggest you run a full virus scan.

You could also try right-clicking your desktop and going to Graphics Properties (or Graphics Options, I don't know what it will be for your OS, I have Windows 8) and seeing if anything is wrong there. Also, check your power plan. I had mine set to "Low Performance" once and didn't realize it. Low performance extends battery life but makes things run poorly, whilst high performance decreases battery life but makes things run better. You can check this by clicking the battery icon on the lower right corner, usually next to time/date (again I don't know what your OS is so this may be different).

You could also try running a disk defragmenter, although I forgot how to actually do that so you'd need to google it.

I tried seeing if my power settings were off, because I remeberd having them pop up a while ago. I changed it to high performance and it seems to be back to normal! Thanks a bunch!

M4XiiMUS

Prominent (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by M4XiiMUS » March 28, 2014 11:13pm | Report
I did notice that I am not achieving the fps I had before my computer got wonky. It is still a big improvement. Also the performance did not affect the connection.

M4XiiMUS

Prominent (30)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }