Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Cheap Computers can still run MOST Games?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Cheap Computers can still run MOST Games? 5 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » November 20, 2013 1:55am | Report
Tell me why when people are looking for a gaming computer most people say things like "you need to spend $1000"?

Well then why when I am on youtube I see even $350 computers running battlefield ect?
Now of course if you want max settings on the highest quality games you need something more expensive but seriously most people mean playing average games...

and what I just thought is if these people are playing games like battle field on $400 computers then why would people spam saying "you need $1000 computer?"

Soooooo I was wondering if these cheap computers are running battle field then shouldn't they be able to run smite on high settings???

Heck if I see this cheap $400 computers running these games that they so called can't then I'm about to go buy one and stop playing on this laptop.

I was saving up money for something else but now that I am seeing cheap computers running games in high quality I'm thinking about building one. I don't get it? So these computers can legit run smite like nothing? Why did I even buy a freaking $420 laptop when I could have just gotten this :(

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Thiel » November 20, 2013 3:06am | Report
It's kinda false to think that when you can run Battlefield 4, you can also automaticly run other programs. A great, and somewhat exxegerated, example of this is Minecraft. I personally do own a 1500 euro computer (although it's actual value is probably around 800 by now). And I can run every game on max settings, but when I tweak Minecraft to be top notch (which is still low by most standards) it runs a ****py 30 fps. This is because of how Minecraft was coded.

Alot of games are not properly optimized to run on high settings as other games are. Most triple A games are, but "lesser" games like, for example Metro, are not.

I did not actually dive into the videos you put up, i'm on office hours, but some games are very CPU heavy, and heaving a decent CPU is enough to run it smoothly, other games require a fair bit of GPU and RAM power also. People say you "need" a 1000 euro computer if you want complete coverage of most games and most games to come. A 400 euro computer might be able to run some games on High Quality (like Crysis 2, which is well optimised for this, no high-distance rendering also helps Crysis 2 a TON) but it'll age quickly.

It all depends on what you want and expect, I like running multiple programs at the same time without worrying about sacrificing efficiency. I also stream, render videos, and run query's all the time.

A 500 euro computer might be good enough to run a single game, but you probably don't have much buffer left after that. + It can age far more quickly. Best buys are the 2d or 3rd to best hardware. Their price/quality balance is usually ideal, which results in a ~800 euro computer. (If you build it yourself, pre-packed computers are usually pricier).
That's just my 2 cents.

Oy! Give me some privacy.

Thiel

Memorable (12)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » November 20, 2013 3:20am | Report
I seen many games being played at either High settings or medium settings, so how would it not be able to runs smite when smite is no where near the quality needed for those other games that graphically poop on smite.

I swear if I get one of this computers and it runs smite on high settings I'm going to laugh at people who spent $1000 on games like smite because if you really spent $1000 on a game just for smite when a computer like that can run it I will laugh.

And when I say you I don't mean you but I mean you as in people.
I guess I will see, but isn't it safe to say that if a $400 computer runs smite on high settings than spending $1000 has to be ******ed if your sole purpose is playing one game.

Who the heck has 400 programs running at once anyways? I'm trying to play games here not open up 40 tabs for youtube

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Thiel » November 20, 2013 5:00am | Report
Buying a computer specificly for one game is stupid anyway. You want a computer with longvitude.
But sure, if your sole purpose and motivation for a new computer is to play Smite, buying a 1000 euro rig would be a waste.

(but to assume that a game that looks prettier is automaticly more demanding is false. It isn't all about what you see visually on your screen. There are alot of background processes that might, or might not require alot from your computer. For example if a game has random situations there needs to be a constant "thing" running that calculates chance and whatnot, this is all in the code, not visually, but it still demands alot.
In smite, for example, there are alot more factors that slow down your computer other than visual quality. This is one of the reasons you can usually play on higher quality when you play offline as opposed to when you play online).
That's just my 2 cents.

Oy! Give me some privacy.

Thiel

Memorable (12)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » November 20, 2013 5:26am | Report
Do me a favor and go over to the other thread I made, have a look at it and tell me what the system requirements mean because the thing tells me that if I bought a $400 computer

well it says it would blow my laptop away, I mean all the things in that $400 computer say it exceeds even beyond the recommended system requirements for smite?
Go look at it and tell me if I see something wrong there?

I posted a picture up as well

ICEN

Prominent (41)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }