Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Ranked

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Ranked 2 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by xXMitchDQXx » February 5, 2016 2:20pm | Report
So im a support player who loves athena and i wanna get better at the game i love and make it all the way to play smite competatively atm i see my self as young (15) and i feel thats an advantage as i think im good at the game however i wanna get better any suggestions? My IGN Is xXMitchDQXx

xXMitchDQXx

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dragon Spore » February 10, 2016 10:18am | Report
Countering Lanes:

Countering certain lanes isn't as relevant as being prepared, midstream, for the fights you're about to have. A loose rundown of how your game should go, itemwise, is to start out with whatever starter item floats your boat (Bluestone Pendant, Watcher's Gift, and Mark of the Vanguard all have their merits. I'd recommend playing passively and taking Watcher's Gift until you're a little more experienced with the role), HoG 1, and potions. Lots of potions. From there you'll want to finish your boots first (again, I'd take the tank boots until you're more experienced. Many supports would rather have CDR, though), and then finish your HoG for early Gold Furies. At that point, things get complicated, and you begin counterbuilding. You'll want to keep an eye on who's doing well and what they're buying throughout the game. If the opposing jungler and ADC are getting ahead, you'll want to go into something like Sovereignty or Witch Blade first, if it's the mid, probably Heartward Amulet. If your team is doing pretty well, Magi's is a big deal, and you'll want to buy it eventually anyway. Buying it early means you can more safely secure the Gold Fury, which keeps your team ahead. In short, building correctly as a support requires some knowledge of other characters' builds, and being able to buy the items that will give you the survivability you need.

Almost all supports will want Magi's, Heartward Amulet, and Sovereignty, more or less in that order, but which you buy and when depends on the state of the game more than a specific buy order.

As for what to do at what time, as others have said, show up for mid camps. They spawn at 3 minutes, and then generally at 3:10 or so after that (so around 6:10, 9:20 and so on). You'll want to be there early to zone, and you'll want to make sure you have the mana to fight a little for them. You also want to make sure your HoG is available for at least one of the camps. Other than that, you generally want to be where the action is. You actually don't do your ADC any favors by just sitting in lane with him, soaking up his farm. You want to be there when he's not one-on-one with the opposing ADC, and you'll want to gank if he gets pushed back, but don't just camp his lane. Instead, for your farm, look to secure jungle camps. Don't be afraid to VVW when your jungler is heading for a back camp if you're coming out of the well. Most people don't realize that the most efficient way to do the jungle camps is with two people, regardless of things like Bumba's (and soon, Watcher's Gift). Also, don't be afraid to swipe a back harpy camp solo if you're confident your HoG will be back up in time for GF or midcamps. Any jungler who whines about it is a bad jungler, and you shouldn't listen to them. :P

In teamfights, remember that a support is only scary when he has everything off of cooldown, and use that to your advantage. If you haven't seen Sobek Charge Prey, you stay out of range of Sobek. If you haven't seen Geb shield, you save your CC. If you haven't seen Athena taunt, you don't engage. This doesn't even count ults. Because of this, you want to save those cooldowns for maximum effectiveness. If you're Athena, your taunts should always either kill someone or save someone. If the taunt isn't going to do either, then don't use it. Save it for when it matters.

Positioning is also extremely difficult, because as tanky as you are, you still explode to three people blowing everything on you. Occasionally, this is exactly what you want, but I would hold off on making those plays until you're with a team you know well. Good players can capitalize on the fact that the mid, jungle, and support all just blew ults and CC on you and killed you, but you can't guarantee that when you're solo queueing.

Many others will also tell you that playing support is a thankless job, and that you'll get blamed for things like killstealing and ruining farm all the time. This usually isn't the case, and just about anyone who whines about that sort of thing is a horrible player that you can just ignore. Ultimately, you'll have to figure some stuff out for yourself, because the number of people, in-game, who can give you valid, constructive advice on support play is very, very small. My last piece of advice would be to pick a support you do well with (the top tier options would be Athena, Sylvanus and Geb, but Ymir, Ares, and Sobek all work just as well), and just play that one god. Once you get a feel for how that god works, you can work on the timing and builds much easier.

In the end, playing support offers you the opportunity for some of the most rewarding plays in Smite. Anyone can take a pubstomp god and go 12-2 on occasion, but not everyone can ult in on your solo laner who just dived an opposing FG attempt, taunt most of the opposing team, HoG the FG, and proceed to control the rest of the fight into a Deicide and a win. Moreso than any other role, sometimes you do things right and you just win the game on one play. It just takes a lot of patience in learning how to do those things right. :)

Dragon Spore

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }