Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Penetration questions.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Penetration questions. 3 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by xaixihilax » August 26, 2013 7:55am | Report
So, i can't figure some aspects of how penetration works in some cases, for example:

1) what is the difference between flat penetration capped at (50), for example this item that gives 15 physical penetration (Jotunn's Wrath) and % penetration like Titan's Bane (33% physical penetration)?

What i was thinking about this is that the first kind of penetration which i call flat caps at 50 max, while % penetration can go over 50 depending on the enemys item build if they go over certain protection value, is this correct?

2) If the above is correct that means that i should build penetration according to the enemys defensive stats value right?

For example i could start with what i call flat penetration and towards the end if they build higher defense i build some % penetration which would give me better results than stacking 50 flat penetration tops.

3) What does that 50 penetration cap means and, does it apply to % penetration aswell?

I guess what im trying to figure out here is if 1 point of flat penetration is somehow equivalent to 1% of penetration.

That's all i have to ask about this subject and yeah sorry for my english but im from South America :P

xaixihilax

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Aidiakapi » August 28, 2013 8:52am | Report
You have 4 types of penetration:

1. Defense reduction aura (void stone/voidblade)
2. Defense reduction debuff (executioner/spear of the magus)
3. Flat penetration (as you described)
4. Percentage penetration (also as you described)

The first 3 literally 1 to 1 reduce the (physical or magical) protection value of an enemy.

The 4th one is calculated last and from the debuffed enemy protection another 33% (or less) is taken.

All 4 of these stack just fine (with the exception of multiple defense reduction aura's, don't try to stack two void stones for example).

The cap only applies to #3, flat penetration, and it can have a maximum of 50.

Penetration unlike common belief works best against people who build little to average defense. 50 penetration increases your total damage by 33%, meaning that against someone who's generally take 300 damage, they now take 400 damage, an effective change of 100 damage. If the person would only take 100 damage to begin with (because of other defenses) it's only 133 now, an effective change of 33 damage.

In general you'll want to get a lot of penetration, someone preferably a bruiser should get void blade, and a mage should get void stone. On top of that you'll want to build nearing the cap, 1 to 3 items with penetration is generally good enough to ensure that the power you build, actually does something.

To answer your 2nd question concretely, if they have over 50 protection (quite common), try to get to the cap (don't go over it, it's a waste of gold and an inventory slot). Later in the game, once they really build a **** ton of defense (especially the tank or some bruiser) you can pick up the % penetration to really make your power do it's job.

In general penetration > power, but power is easier to get (more items, more useful passives, etc.), and has more effect on very low defense people (if you have a glass cannon that builds no defense at all, penetration won't do that much to him/her, just get power).

Aidiakapi

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by xaixihilax » August 28, 2013 12:16pm | Report
Aidiakapi wrote:

You have 4 types of penetration:

1. Defense reduction aura (void stone/voidblade)
2. Defense reduction debuff (executioner/spear of the magus)
3. Flat penetration (as you described)
4. Percentage penetration (also as you described)

The first 3 literally 1 to 1 reduce the (physical or magical) protection value of an enemy.

The 4th one is calculated last and from the debuffed enemy protection another 33% (or less) is taken.

All 4 of these stack just fine (with the exception of multiple defense reduction aura's, don't try to stack two void stones for example).

The cap only applies to #3, flat penetration, and it can have a maximum of 50.

Penetration unlike common belief works best against people who build little to average defense. 50 penetration increases your total damage by 33%, meaning that against someone who's generally take 300 damage, they now take 400 damage, an effective change of 100 damage. If the person would only take 100 damage to begin with (because of other defenses) it's only 133 now, an effective change of 33 damage.

In general you'll want to get a lot of penetration, someone preferably a bruiser should get void blade, and a mage should get void stone. On top of that you'll want to build nearing the cap, 1 to 3 items with penetration is generally good enough to ensure that the power you build, actually does something.

To answer your 2nd question concretely, if they have over 50 protection (quite common), try to get to the cap (don't go over it, it's a waste of gold and an inventory slot). Later in the game, once they really build a **** ton of defense (especially the tank or some bruiser) you can pick up the % penetration to really make your power do it's job.

In general penetration > power, but power is easier to get (more items, more useful passives, etc.), and has more effect on very low defense people (if you have a glass cannon that builds no defense at all, penetration won't do that much to him/her, just get power).

Thank you so much for your help, and yeah someone redirected me to this thread: https://www.smitefire.com/smite/forum/theory-crafting/penetration-1355?page=1

Seems like it's all as you said :p, also in that thread theres some interesting calculations as well dunno if you already saw it, if not feel free to check it out :).

xaixihilax

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }