Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Jack of all trades, master of none?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Mentoring » Jack of all trades, master of none? 3 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ryvvik » September 5, 2013 9:26am | Report
Here is a question for the smite mentors/pros. Which am I better off doing? Gaining a god mastery with all gods or just focusing on mastering the role I prefer?

In my case, I prefer tank/support. I spent most of my first 30 levels playing Ymir up to god mastery 10 and learning the ins and outs of tanking. I then started branching to other tanks and got a god mastery in most all of them.

Since then ive been a little torn. On one hand, I want to earn a god mastery with every god so that I familiar with their passives, abilities, ranges, styles, etc. But on the other hand I feel like if my desired role in competitive is tank that I should be focusing there to improve.

My biggest problem with mastering all gods is that when you are level 30, have never jungled, and select thor...people can be so cruel ;-) Obviously I don't learn new gods in competitive play. Though when I join a competitive and someone else calls tank before me I get stuck in a less familiar role and feel like I let the team down.

Ryvvik

Remarkable (7)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kripox » September 5, 2013 9:37am | Report
I'm not a pro or a mentor but I'll give you my input anyway.

If you intend to play to your best, you should learn how to play AT LEAST two roles, preferably more. Being proficient with two roles will not only make you more flexible and make you a lot more valuable in both casual and competitive play, it is also going to wonders for your overall understanding of the game. If you know how to play a ranged ADC, mage or jungler you will also know more about how to protect your team from these as a tank, so it helps your tank play a bit too.

My advice then, would be to pick another two roles and learn how to play them. You don't need to become a master with either, but give yourself a number of games with each. If you really want to master tanks you can make them your focus, but I cannot imagine it would be a bad thing for you to invest some time into playing something else for a change.

Now watch someone with real understanding of the game shoot down everything I just said.

Kripox

Memorable (10)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Plaguemire » October 12, 2013 10:46am | Report
What Kripox says is true, knowing the roles is the most important thing.

It's best to learn the ins and outs of at least 2 gods for each role, that way you can play anything and if someone else picks a god you wanted, you'll have a backup god to fall on.

Personally I prefer ranged mage, but I'm in the works of learning the rest. I'm not exactly looking forward to learning to jungle though, so I'm saving that for last ;)
1.21 gigawatts? Great Scott!

Plaguemire

Notable (1)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }