Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Fortuna - God of Luck and destiny

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » God & Item Ideas » Fortuna - God of Luck and destiny 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vaeldyn » January 23, 2014 4:01am | Report
I always wanted a random god, so here`s my idea! (When there is feedback, I will add scaling^^)

She will be a mage.

Passive:

Fortuna constantly spins around a cube in random directions. Each fields of the cube has a different ability. When using any ability, the active ability will be added.

1: Magical Power buff on Fortuna: 6s, 10
2: Slow on the enemies: 5s, 15%
3: Magical Power debuff on enemies: 4s, 20%
4: Speedbuff on Fortuna: 4s: 10%
5: Lifeleechbuff for Fortuna: 6s 15%
6: Nothing happens

1: Lucky Strike (hehehe)
Fortuna throws her Staff in front of her, dealing damage in a straight line. There is a chance of 0.5% to half the damage and 5% to double the damage. She also has a 5% chance for being CC immune.

100/150/200/250/300

2: Fast or Furious?
When activating this ability, Fortuna gains a random number of groundspeed between 15 and 30%. Further she gains either Protection or Magical Power. She also has a 20% chance of being CC immune.

3: Coinflip
Fortuna throws a coin towards an enemy, damaging them. When it lands on the head, the enemy is feared for a short duration. When it`s tails, the enemy gets rooted. When it`s on the edge, the enemy gets stunned.

Damage: 130/170/210/250/290
Duration on all CC: 1/1,2/1,4/1,6/1,8

Old Ultimate: Give me anything!
Fortuna gets any Ultimate out of the game (displayed in a picture next to the cube) with the exact same cooldown and always magical power contribution. (Added things, like Zeus stacks don`t detonate when added from Fortunas Ult). The Ultimate switches with every use of it.

New Ultimate: Use your fortune!
Fortuna releases a powerful buff to all allies within range. The buff provides Magical and physikal protection. Each allie also heals up for the amount of health Fortuna loses during her ult.

What do you think?

Vaeldyn

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Thiel » January 23, 2014 4:52am | Report
Lol, she seems very unviable for competitive play due to her very present random-factor.
+ I was hoping Lucky 7 would have her throw 2 ninja stars. ;(

The ultimate is something I've thought about - fun, but very unpractical. What if she gets Thor's ult. It'd require so much spriting and a update every patch. :p

Since she only has 1 damage ability (that can be used consistently) and her AA, she screams support. But due to her kit, she's easily the least reliable support around. It's a fun idea - and, as you mentioned, random. But it's far from implementable. :P
That's just my 2 cents.

Oy! Give me some privacy.

Thiel

Memorable (12)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » January 23, 2014 4:54am | Report
'Random' is an incredibly hard thing to balance in MOBAs.

Ok, now let me give you something that a Riot employee said about Champion design.

Quoted:

There is a number, 1. This number represents the balance of a champion
(god). The balance of a champion should be as close to this number as possible.

There is a number, X. This number represents how fun it is to play the champion. This number is to be as high as possible.

Now, let me explain to you how this ties in to randomness.

Each ability has a number assigned to it that represents A. The balance of it and B. How much fun it is to use. With solid numbers and mechanics that do not change, this number will remain stable, and we can calculate the total with accurate results.

When the mechanics change, this number changes as well. Since every ability has some form of randomness to it, one second, the numbers could add up to 0.4, making the god incredibly underpowered, and the next second, the abilities could add up to 2, making the god extremely overpowered.

Same with fun factor. If you get incredibly unlucky, the player feels cheated and disappointed, possibly frustrated. When this happens, the number goes into the negatives, meaning that this god is not enjoyable to play at all, and ultimately, you have failed at creating something enjoyable for players.

If you are attempting to create a god based around randomness, then the numbers need to add up to between 0.8-1.2. You can not have a god where it adds up to 0.5-1.5. That gap is too large to make the god balanced or satisfying to play.

Personally, I think you should stop cramming luck down our throats. Fortuna is the good of good fortune, but not everything needs to have some element of luck to it. Even CK from DotA, which is Chaos, only has 2 abilities (arguably 3) that are luck based despite being chaos, and this number is still consistently at around 0.9-1.1. It's because even though it's luck based, you never feel cheated playing him. When it really matters, the ability is still good enough to offer what you want.

Also, with the ultimate....

No. Just no.

Never do this, ever. You may think you have a smart original idea, but it's been suggested to death here, and every single time, it's agreed that it is too unpredictable and ultimately, unviable, and I personally would not find it fun.

That is my stance on luck based gods.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vaeldyn » January 23, 2014 5:15am | Report
Mh, that was really a good explanation, thank you for that! It`s always nice to get some insight which improves my knowledge!

First: The Ultimate thing. To be honest, I just created a god with all random around that idea. After that I searched a god for it (that`s why Fortuna may not be the best target for it). I agree that the Ultimate thing is not the best, but I don`t even think that it`s THAT unbalanced.

(btw where is the searchfunction here, so I can look up other topics like this)

Second:
Well, I adjusted the gap a bit. You only have 5% for being the gap-loser. So it will deal average damage 90% of the time. I agree that the 6th cube and the downside of damage on the 1 can be really unlucky and goes on costs of fun, but since the numbers are small, this won`t happen a lot (although the 6th cube is too OP and can **** up everything, gonna change that.

Yes, 1 damaging ability, maybe I gonna reduce the CC durations and add damage to it and maybe a mystical mark like damage on her speed.

TL;DR

Since you now tought me how the gap-thing is calculated, what would you take as solid numbers?

Maybe some rework ideas:
6th cube: Simply nothing happens

1: 0.5% chance of hitting for the lowest or highest, chance incresases to 1% till the 08.-1.2 gap and then significantly increases.

Complete new Ult I gonna figure out.

And I gonna bring out a support-mage or tank version out!

Vaeldyn

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vaeldyn » January 23, 2014 5:23am | Report
@Buddah: How do you like the new Ult and the new adjustements?

I appreaciate every respons, because I want to grow and do better gods!

Vaeldyn

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » January 23, 2014 6:08am | Report
Her 1 ability is a bit messy in my opinion. 5% chance of CC immunity is a bit low. But that's not the issue here. You see, this will be her main ability to max and harass with, so when the CC immunity kicks in... It generally won't have any use, as it's just poke. I mean, maybe you could get lucky against an Anubis and get out of his ultimate, but I wouldn't bet on it with 5%. Also, a 50% chance to deal double damage is a bit... high, especially considering that we're talking about a 50% chance to deal 600 damage. Personally, I think the best route for this ability is to go to DotA and look at Ogre Magi's ultimate, Multicast. I think a less power-creeped version of that ultimate would be best for this ability.

Now, the new ultimate. While this ability does help with getting to 1, it completely neglects the number X. Like I said, X should be as high as possible. This ultimate is relatively powerful, but it doesn't much interactive or satisfying gameplay. You just press a button and hope for the best. Therefore, that's why the number that will add up to X would be relatively low for this ability. It works, yeah, but making a viable god is one half of making a god. You can't neglect the fact that people ideally will be playing this god and playing against it, and for people to play a god, it needs to be fun (unless you're in a professional tournament, where it's only 'strong and easy' that matters.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vaeldyn » January 23, 2014 6:40am | Report
HiFromBuddha wrote:

Her 1 ability is a bit messy in my opinion. 5% chance of CC immunity is a bit low. But that's not the issue here. You see, this will be her main ability to max and harass with, so when the CC immunity kicks in... It generally won't have any use, as it's just poke. I mean, maybe you could get lucky against an Anubis and get out of his ultimate, but I wouldn't bet on it with 5%. Also, a 50% chance to deal double damage is a bit... high, especially considering that we're talking about a 50% chance to deal 600 damage. Personally, I think the best route for this ability is to go to DotA and look at Ogre Magi's ultimate, Multicast. I think a less power-creeped version of that ultimate would be best for this ability.

Now, the new ultimate. While this ability does help with getting to 1, it completely neglects the number X. Like I said, X should be as high as possible. This ultimate is relatively powerful, but it doesn't much interactive or satisfying gameplay. You just press a button and hope for the best. Therefore, that's why the number that will add up to X would be relatively low for this ability. It works, yeah, but making a viable god is one half of making a god. You can't neglect the fact that people ideally will be playing this god and playing against it, and for people to play a god, it needs to be fun (unless you're in a professional tournament, where it's only 'strong and easy' that matters.

I meant 0.5% (which is kinda low). I edited it to 5%, maybe that`s more fitting. I could translate the CC immunity to CDR, which would be also a nice effect (don`t want to copy the Ogre Magi ;) ). Gonna have some work on that.

Ult: Mh, I first thought of some damage, because of the reward feeling. But I don't feel that it owuld be right. How about a ~80% damage reflection on lvl 5? So you can just go in, pump out abilities with healing your friends and a protection buff and still have a good chance to not die before the enemy. I think I have to go through the fun aspect again^^

Vaeldyn

Notable (4)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }