Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Delayed Patches

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Delayed Patches 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HolyPudding » February 25, 2014 1:27pm | Report
Y'know, it really sucks for Hi-Rez. They set such a good standard with awesome new gods and skins every fortnight that they can't keep it up. You see, Gods are now on a 3/4 week delay each, and this bugs me admittedly more than it should, but it still bugs me all the same. We've had 2 gods so far this year, and the game is getting more stale because of it. I've actually been playing a lot more hearthstone, because of the lack of smite content.

But the thing is, we may be causing it.

Think about it. In 2013, the game was rather small, and everyone was content with the game as is, and not much had to be done each patch. Now everyone is *****ing about how X is OP, Y needs to be buffed, Z needs to be removed and the game must be perfectly balanced. All these "let's make patch notes" and "rework ideas" and things are just causing Hi-Rez to try and implement these ideas into the game, keeping up their community interactivity reputation.

I think we're being a bit ungrateful. This small company is pumping out content for us, trying to please us, and yet we respond with more demands. Y'know, Smite is a pretty balanced game. I can lose in Smite and legitimately say it was of enemy skill or team failings. I can;t say that about DotA or League, or Tribes, or CoD, or Battlefield. Did DICE nerf the M16, after so much complaint? No. Did DotA nerf Bloodseeker the racecar, or Drow the skillless?

NO. THEY DIDN'T. And this was Gaben. Now, a complaint about minor overperformance on honey? Nerfed. Merc's ult causing serious issues? Buffed. Bug is spotted? Fixed. Look at thebes: 1 day and it was discarded. Hell, they even said they'd made a ****ty decision with nemesis. They said they sucked at balancing her. They admitted they made a bad decision. You don't see that too often.

So, maybe rather than bloating the Hi-Rez production line, enjoy what we've got. We have a game that has kept me locked for over a year. It's balanced; you can't really deny that it's hard to make a game that is so dependent on skill rather than just the powers or luck. So we shoudl stop complaining. Because then we'll get more content, and potentially better content.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TLDR; Let's just stop being so overcritical of a relatively balanced game. We're gamers, not My Little Pony analysts.
"We are none but friends

All born to the same forum

Why not live in peace?"

HolyPudding

Established (19)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » February 25, 2014 1:52pm | Report
Sorry, but this is the nature of the beast with online gaming. If there are problems/issues/bugs in a game, it's the community's job to voice this, especially when the game is in a "beta". If they're not game breaking bugs/issues, then they can stand to sit on the back burner for a while, but they should be brought to attention all the same.

Yes, they're a small company, but this is what they got into when they brought Smite out. So no, I don't think we're being ungrateful for the most part as a whole, but I do think that the way the majority of people "demand" changes rather than suggest and voice their opinions makes them seem ungrateful and demanding.

However, all-in-all, I do agree that Smite is balanced fairly well for a game of this type. Could still use a few fixes here and there, but the game balance is pretty decent and Hi-Rez, while I question their balancing decisions a lot, are doing a relatively good job with the game.

Also, a bit off topic, but which Battlefield are you talking about when it comes to the M16 nerf thing?
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Chiulin » February 25, 2014 2:04pm | Report
Here's my opinion on it. With nearly 50 gods, they could release a god 4 times a year and I would still be happy. Most people don't even use ALL of the gods, mainly because of balancing issues. If they were balanced you really would have more options. Therefore more time before the game goes stale on you. Then gods wouldn't need to be released as often. So working on buffs/nerfs/items, etc. They are making it last longer without needing more gods. So I'm not going to complain on the issue. Also, if the gods are generally more balanced, then new gods will be able to get balanced faster. It could be a higher priority and any unbalance would be more obvious.

As a small company though, they need to balance both releasing new content and balancing old content. I feel they are coming to that balance with having gods only released roughly once a month.

Anyways, that's just my opinion.

Chiulin

Prominent (31)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » February 25, 2014 3:31pm | Report
Beta is a weak excuse when you're already monetizing the game with things such as allowing players to purcfhase gods/skins/name changes with real money.

It also does not help that this game has probably seen way more sweeping changes than any other MOBA in existence. Raise your hand if you remember the map that used to exist back in June 2012, when the first wave of closed beta invites were sent out? The map was bigger, it had an outer jungle off of the sidelanes, there were three more types of buffs that were later removed or rolled into another, the Fire Giant's lair was essentially The Thunderdome... A lot of game mechanics have changed, such as the removal of both physical and magical stats, seperating gods into one or the other. A lot of decisions that seemed adamant back then have been backpedaled.

And you're wondering why we are such a vocal community when it comes to anything? It's because we're gone through a lot of **** this entire time. We've seen the meta shift wildly every couple months with little warning. Remember when Odin+ Zeus was the most terrifying duo lane? That started dying out when Bakasura and Anhur were released, and with the current meta, you almost never see either of them in duo lane.

The game changed a lot. We would get comfortable with a big change that happened two months ago, and suddenly woooosh! New meta, role shifts, priority changes, etc., and it has often caused players to quit overnight. This is the community that it has created.
Waiting on a good new MOBA, please.

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vaeldyn » February 25, 2014 11:37pm | Report
The "omg new meta, follow it or die!" sucks in EVERY Online Game..

Like Dark Age of Camelot, where Axeskilled ran around with Hammers and such. Suddendly it all becomes the normal "meta". It's like the innovation gets lost and the routine kicks in. That's why I liked Domination, actually there are unforeseen things happening!

But well..

Smite turned into a "omg what do you build?!1elf!" community.. Back in my starting days, everyone was happy when Facepunch Ymir had Deathbringer and 15 kills. If you build a simple Vamana Half-assassin today, everybody will rage and/or quit.

Sad truth, get used to it.

TL;DR: Every Onlinegame becomes this ;)

Vaeldyn

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » February 26, 2014 6:22am | Report
I actually think Smite is a rather balanced game. It is one the most balanced games I have ever played. But there's always room for improvements. I'm not saying that the community is right about whining. I actually find myself really annoyed only by the truly annoying things, like release nemesis. But they fixed it. And yes, there are many balance issues, but damn it, Hi-Rez is doing a fine job. They listen. I hear you brother, but you shouldn't take to heart what the petty part of the community is whining about. You should ignore them just like you ignore the 12-year-olds from CoD.

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » February 26, 2014 9:40am | Report
Those 12-yr old CoD players are far, far worse. The slightest tweak to an imaginary gun will have them sending a truckload of death threats to the development team.

SMITE players are pretty tame by comparison.

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » February 27, 2014 2:54am | Report
I said ignore them just like you ignore the 12-year-olds, didn't say that they are as bad as the CoD 12-year-olds, because nothing is.

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » February 27, 2014 3:06am | Report
But you are still implying they should be treated the same, which would imply they are just as bad.

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Winkyx » February 27, 2014 5:22am | Report
Compared to any other free game, Smite definitely has the best development team. Unlike BF4 which you pay for and still has bugs. By time they sort out all the bugs in BF4, BF5 will be released. But thats going a bit off topic.

I can't fault Smite at the moment, the developers have never missed a week patch since the game was released in its beta stages so i think its time they had a bit of a break, what could they possibly want to patch this time around?
Game Name: Winkyx - Add Me

Favorite God: Zeus

Winkyx

Notable (2)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }