Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Nox...

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 13 >>
Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Nox... 124 posts - page 4 of 13
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » October 29, 2014 5:28pm | Report
I'm going to disregard anything in this thread not having to do with the actual topic on hand because frankly, I'm getting tired of the same old and, at times, annoying posts that have nothing to do with the topic they're posted in.

That being said, I kind of like Nox, but I kind of don't. Granted, I haven't played her in a real match, just practice, and granted, my opinion is probably a bit biased because I had wanting to see her in-game for so long. Now, when I say, I kind of like her, I mostly mean I like the potential she has when HiRez actually fixes her up a little bit, but then her kit is a little weird to me.

Her 1 is pretty random. It can definitely be useful in some situations, but as a whole part of her kit, I'm just not sure if it's really that great to have on her. Might be, though.

Her 2+3 combo is great. I like the idea behind her 2 having a long cool down and her 3 having a very short cool down. Her 3 doesn't do great damage on its own, but it helps for wave clearing and little bits of damage, but when her 2 is finally off cool down, both skills pair pretty well together.

Her ult is pretty underwhelming. I haven't played an actual match against her yet, so I don't really know what it's like to be on the receiving end of it, but it doesn't seem too great for an ult. I guess I'll have to work with her more in an actual match.

Her passive is pretty meh.

I love her design and she has some decent potential, but yeah, she definitely needs some work. Also, no, she's definitely not a control mage.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 29, 2014 5:32pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

You can't just see each character in relation to another. You also need to compare game mechanics, itemization, counterplay potential, things like that. Things that are common to ALL Mobas, but simply badly designed in Smite.

For example, ward mechanics.

In Smite, wards are cheap, but sentry wards are expensive. In addition, there are no bushes, and most areas can be covered with a single ward due to how narrow the jungle is. All wards are also invisible. These wards cannot be countered in any way without spending a disproportionate amount of gold.

In League, the map size in relation to ward range is more skewed toward the map. This means wards cover less area in general. In addition, their sentry wards are visible normally, meaning they can be destroyed even without another sentry ward. Everyone can and will buy pink wards against an Akali, and they do so, and the pink wards themselves still have counterplay.

In Dawngate, everyone gets one free ward with a three-minute cooldown that lasts three-minutes. This means vision is a careful resource that teams must juggle. Counterplay is simple: In-lane, you can't cover every entrance, and out-of-lane, you can't cover everything, either. As for the wards themselves, nothing so far can destroy a ward, but you both circumvent them with bushes and see where they are placed.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 29, 2014 5:34pm | Report
SoapSuds wrote:

I'm going to disregard anything in this thread not having to do with the actual topic on hand because frankly, I'm getting tired of the same old and, at times, annoying posts that have nothing to do with the topic they're posted in.

That being said, I kind of like Nox, but I kind of don't. Granted, I haven't played her in a real match, just practice, and granted, my opinion is probably a bit biased because I had wanting to see her in-game for so long. Now, when I say, I kind of like her, I mostly mean I like the potential she has when HiRez actually fixes her up a little bit, but then her kit is a little weird to me.

Her 1 is pretty random. It can definitely be useful in some situations, but as a whole part of her kit, I'm just not sure if it's really that great to have on her. Might be, though.

Her 2+3 combo is great. I like the idea behind her 2 having a long cool down and her 3 having a very short cool down. Her 3 doesn't do great damage on its own, but it helps for wave clearing and little bits of damage, but when her 2 is finally off cool down, both skills pair pretty well together.

Her ult is pretty underwhelming. I haven't played an actual match against her yet, so I don't really know what it's like to be on the receiving end of it, but it doesn't seem too great for an ult. I guess I'll have to work with her more in an actual match.

Her passive is pretty meh.

I love her design and she has some decent potential, but yeah, she definitely needs some work. Also, no, she's definitely not a control mage.

Try her in a real game. She's...teh bad.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Deathsession » October 29, 2014 5:56pm | Report
Honestly. Her being classified as a 'control' mage is a mistake. How I took her release was to be a Counter-mage.. Mage.. Every Moba has one (veiger). And this is Smites invention of it. I'm alittle bit of a Smite fanboi. I can admit it. But I'd be aittle embarrassed of her release.

She still has the possibility of being good. But from my initial tests. ALL of her abilities need a change.

Hi-Rez doesn't look at these forums. But this is just for our satisfaction. Here's a redesign I would like to see. I'm not throwing any numbers yet. Just concepts.

Ability 1: Nox splits herself into 3 shadows, becoming a random shadow. Her shadows follow and attack her opponents while mimicking her abilities for 3 seconds. Shadows do 25% nox's spell damage. Ravens cannot silence. (Redesigned her 1 completely. Just because it was bland, and added nothing to the uniqueness of the god, or giving her substantial escape potential.

Ability 2: After the raven hits the first target, it bounces to the next 3 targets, slightly reducing in dmg and time silenced. Can only hit and damage gods. (This will give Nox better CC and more consistent damage.)

Ability 3: same affect, but instead of increase damage being hit by ravens, it increased damage for consecutive hits. Applying a Shadow touch debuff to target. Also increases damage of nox's other abilities. (This simpley increases Nox's damage overall, and enable her to do good poke, without wasting a silence. Which is her only form of CC.)

Ability 4: Giving this a circle targeter. She is announced to be a mage counter, but being a shorter ranged squishy mage. Running through their tanks, assassins, and bruisers without getting dead, or her ult blocked by a useless target, is quite a task to say the least.)

Obviously. This seems to be a pretty big damage buff overall. Numbers would have to be adjusted. Thoughts?

Deathsession

Established (17)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 29, 2014 6:46pm | Report
Go look at her little clip in the in-game client. The one where she kills a soldier. They made her ****ing jiggle literally every second. Just like those ****ty Dead or Alive games where they spend half their budget on breast physics. Stay classy HiRez.

Edit: Will comment on DS's thing after dinner.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » October 29, 2014 8:49pm | Report
Well, I suppose you can't discount the fact that her 3rd ability has only a 3 second cooldown, which justifies the low damage.

Sadly, Smite isn't a game which appreciates sustained damage mages.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » October 29, 2014 9:23pm | Report
Just played a couple games as her, she feels moderate. I don't think she's underpowered, I think she's balanced, but the people who complain so heavily on power creeping are so against a god without it.

HiFromBuddha nailed her relatively low damage numbers: with CDR, her 3 is on a *1.8* second CD. That's ridiculous. It's not even that mana inefficient either, you can spam it without too much problem. Get a Gem of Isolation and you can practically keep someone permaslowed while you just spam them with 3's. Like that's bad, the windup just BARELY lets them get out of the 2 second slow.

Her damage is low, but her spells are spammable, and her 3's double damage scales well. I find her balanced, and not in need of too many changes, I think some other popular mids just need a tad of a tone down.

Also it makes me angry that her 1 keeps on making me think of Chang'E's invulnerability dance, because I keep on expecting a speed increase and not getting one, despite the ability not really being too similar. I don't know why I'm doing that.

Her only downside btw is no sustain or mobility, she's in a fight or she's not. But getting a solo laner like Ra or a support like Aphro or Hel (somehow) can actually really work with her, I think. Nox can be deadly if you can grab a team that forces fights to last long.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 29, 2014 11:20pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

Just played a couple games as her, she feels moderate. I don't think she's underpowered, I think she's balanced, but the people who complain so heavily on power creeping are so against a god without it.
Time to rant.

You think I have no right to complain about a LACK of power creep after *****ing about it?

You imply that I'm some kind of hypocrite, but you don't even understand my complaints at all. I'm ****ing sick of this power creep forcing gods to become stronger and stronger than usual. And now Nox shows up, completely unbalanced and weak. She's a regression of power creep, yes. But frankly, I don't care about that part. I don't care about how Power Creep affects one god because that's not what Power Creep is.

Power Creep is about the metagame as a whole. It has to do with how, in the meta, gods are forced to be this or that to keep up with the rising standard. If Nox fails to meet that standard, then she's unbalanced, not "not power creep'd."

Power creep is something that happened to this game. Nox is unbalanced in the present. Power creep is something that changes what balance means. I'm complaining that she's unbalanced. I see no problem with this.

Or basically, California's suffering through a drought and I'm complaining about too much ice in my Coke. They're related, but not contradictory. I can ***** about how power creep ruined this game AND how much Nox sucks, because it is BECAUSE of the power creep that Nox is so unbalanced. If Power Creep wasn't here, Nox would still have problems, but I wouldn't be nearly as pissed.

Raventhor wrote:
HiFromBuddha nailed her relatively low damage numbers: with CDR, her 3 is on a *1.8* second CD. That's ridiculous. It's not even that mana inefficient either, you can spam it without too much problem. Get a Gem of Isolation and you can practically keep someone permaslowed while you just spam them with 3's. Like that's bad, the windup just BARELY lets them get out of the 2 second slow.

Her damage is low, but her spells are spammable, and her 3's double damage scales well. I find her balanced, and not in need of too many changes, I think some other popular mids just need a tad of a tone down.

Also it makes me angry that her 1 keeps on making me think of Chang'E's invulnerability dance, because I keep on expecting a speed increase and not getting one, despite the ability not really being too similar. I don't know why I'm doing that.

Her only downside btw is no sustain or mobility, she's in a fight or she's not. But getting a solo laner like Ra or a support like Aphro or Hel (somehow) can actually really work with her, I think. Nox can be deadly if you can grab a team that forces fights to last long.

So in other words, you need Shoes of Focus, Gem of Isolation, and Chronos' Pendant/Breastplate of Valor, meaning you need at least 7025 gold to become even reasonably effective, and you'd be lacking any penetration or lifesteal, and be seriously lacking in the power department.

Compared to literally every other mage who can be dangerous with just pen boots.

But my biggest problem is just what the **** is Nox? A mage carry? A mage support? A control mage? A mage fighter? She has weak damage, weak CC, no debuffs, very long range yet has a protection skill that fits about as well as Gangplank's Parrley.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 29, 2014 11:24pm | Report
Deathsession wrote:

Honestly. Her being classified as a 'control' mage is a mistake. How I took her release was to be a Counter-mage.. Mage.. Every Moba has one (veiger). And this is Smites invention of it. I'm alittle bit of a Smite fanboi. I can admit it. But I'd be aittle embarrassed of her release.

She still has the possibility of being good. But from my initial tests. ALL of her abilities need a change.

Hi-Rez doesn't look at these forums. But this is just for our satisfaction. Here's a redesign I would like to see. I'm not throwing any numbers yet. Just concepts.

Ability 1: Nox splits herself into 3 shadows, becoming a random shadow. Her shadows follow and attack her opponents while mimicking her abilities for 3 seconds. Shadows do 25% nox's spell damage. Ravens cannot silence. (Redesigned her 1 completely. Just because it was bland, and added nothing to the uniqueness of the god, or giving her substantial escape potential.

Ability 2: After the raven hits the first target, it bounces to the next 3 targets, slightly reducing in dmg and time silenced. Can only hit and damage gods. (This will give Nox better CC and more consistent damage.)

Ability 3: same affect, but instead of increase damage being hit by ravens, it increased damage for consecutive hits. Applying a Shadow touch debuff to target. Also increases damage of nox's other abilities. (This simpley increases Nox's damage overall, and enable her to do good poke, without wasting a silence. Which is her only form of CC.)

Ability 4: Giving this a circle targeter. She is announced to be a mage counter, but being a shorter ranged squishy mage. Running through their tanks, assassins, and bruisers without getting dead, or her ult blocked by a useless target, is quite a task to say the least.)

Obviously. This seems to be a pretty big damage buff overall. Numbers would have to be adjusted. Thoughts?

Like the 4 change to a targeted skill, since it at least has counterplay.

Like the three change. Rewarding consecutive skillshots while interacting with her other abilities is great.

Two is too much Fiddles for me to like.

One change is a bit random, not sure if I like it, and the shadow clone seems really complicated. Since they're gonna look the same, I assume, it either uses an AI which will be obvious, or follows a fixed path relative to your character, which is also obvious. If only it were top down, it could be something like Nova's Remote Drone or Le Blanc's passive.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » October 29, 2014 11:28pm | Report
You always yell at people instead of discussing, and making assumptions on the other person's behalf that they don't even agree with.

I did not say she needs all three items to be effective, I said they are a SICK combination. Even without CDR, she has a 3 second CD damage ability that's only moderately difficult to land, if that. You can pull that off without CDR, and without Gem of Iso, but getting both makes it insane. So no, it's not needed to be reasonably effective, it's needed to be extremely strong. She's reasonably effective withotu any.

The weak damage is offset by a low CD low cost area of effect damaging ability. The rest is because it's not necessary to overload a person to be effective - a silence that can hit several targets is solid to me.

Also no need to go off on huge rants when you really don't have much content to what you're saying. You can state your opinion in a concise, and *tactful* way. I have absolutely no problem conversing with you, but you have a tendency to just insult/incite people and make everyone feel unsafe about ever saying anything.

Also I never mentioned you by name. Believe it or not, it was a general statement, but if the shoe (of focus) fits..
(ha)
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 13 >>
Forum

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }