Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Hunter Guardian Meta Is Horribly Unenjoyable

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Hunter Guardian Meta Is Horribly Unenjoyable 86 posts - page 2 of 9
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 26, 2015 8:42pm | Report
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

AT LAST, YOU SEE THINGS MY WAY!

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by JohnTheScout » May 27, 2015 9:43am | Report
FemFatalis wrote:

I think with new additions to the design/balancing team (-_- Drybear

I think drybear probably should have stayed in the Esports team, because he's probably focusing on the competitive scene where skill is everything and a place where the players know how to counter a god INSTANTLY, so he's not focusing on the casual side where not every player can juke like a football player on speed drugs, or can 1v1 against any god and live, I don't think his background really gives him the sight of the community to work on the gods casual will be playing.
"You have signed your contract with death, I have come to collect!"

JohnTheScout

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FemFatalis » May 27, 2015 10:12am | Report
I have a lot of feelings about how HiRez is handling the esports commentary team, but that's not the point. Drybear isn't even that good at the game (by that good, I mean he's not Barra or Zapman or even on the level of the top Challenger players), so I think he has enough perspective, but there's no real excuse for Medusa's release. DMbrandon, a player and commentator that I respect for his knowledge and playstyle (even if his attitude is less than perfect), believes that the back-to-back releases of Bellona and Medusa were almost as broken as release Guan Yu, bongos, broken Taolu Assault, and all. Guan Yu was released almost 3 years ago. We haven't had a single broken release in that long, and then we get Bellona, a failed attempt to counter the hunter meta, and Medusa, one of the most overpowered hunters in the game? Something needs to change on the design team.

I think we're missing something else, however. In the last few months, HiRez has increased their advertisement of the SPL tenfold, even making in game dialogs for when each game starts on Twitch. Am I wrong in expecting that people, even in casuals, are just going to copycat the pros and start playing guardian solos and jungles and hunter mids?

At the beginning of Season 2, I was excited, because everyone said this would be more balanced than "Oh haha Apollo and Mercury and Nu Wa are the best and all the other gods suck". I never expected that they would make an entire class imbalanced to the point that the worst hunter ( Apollo or Hou Yi imo) is better by far than Freya, the best non-hunter ADC.
For Glory! An Ullr ADC Guide
A Strong Bond! An Aphrodite Solo Guide
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ‘You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.’"
-George Carlin

FemFatalis

Established (15)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 27, 2015 10:50am | Report
Um...no. Smite's new gods are equally broken for competitive and casuals, because the former is hardly any different from the latter except for the rate of feeders.

Seriously, your description makes me want to vomit a little. "Skill is everything and everyone has to know how to counter a god instantly." Nope, nope, nope.

And then you say that juking is easier in casuals. I hope that you're talking about lag issues.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FemFatalis » May 27, 2015 11:29am | Report
Yeahhhhhh there's no skill involved with gods like release Medusa. You couldn't even juke Acid Spray. I know this community has a lot of toxicity towards Subzero but jeez, that description is vomit-worthy.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ‘You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.’"
-George Carlin

FemFatalis

Established (15)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 27, 2015 11:30am | Report
FemFatalis wrote:

To be fair, right now a lot of the early gods are still viable. Sure, gods like Bellona are overpowered even after "nerfs" (Come on HiRez! Duration decrease on Eagle's Rally is enough of a nerf?), but out of the original gods, most of them are amazing. Out of the first 29 gods, Agni, Cupid, Hun Batz (originally SWK), Anhur, Ares, Bakasura, Bastet, Hades, Hercules, Sobek, Thor, and Xbalanque are all still played.

SF logged me out in the middle of my commend so gonna recap it short

most of those early gods got reworked getting them a bit known again. still I'm questioning if you are talking about casuals or ranked as casuals don't mean a lot here compared to ranked (before the hunter guardian meta)

also compared to other games

Swc had cq a 20% not picked or banned rate with 13 gods not played out of the now 65 (thought it were 61 at swc don't know anymore)
LoL had a big 51 out of the 101 (50.8%) in pick or banned (but they only have 6 bans instead of 10)
and then the big winner dota with 8 not picked. Also probably will their amount go lower this year as 5 of those 8 are already pick/banned)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 27, 2015 11:35am | Report
FemFatalis wrote:

Yeahhhhhh there's no skill involved with gods like release Medusa. You couldn't even juke Acid Spray. I know this community has a lot of toxicity towards Subzero but jeez, that description is vomit-worthy.

it all happened when sub used other words then he used to (I remember the thread it all started) you haven't seen (veteran) sub before the big fights.

and I agree with sub about the juking it's insanely easy to hit most attacks as the cc every god has will allow you that.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FemFatalis » May 27, 2015 11:42am | Report
Devampi wrote:

most of those early gods got reworked getting them a bit known again. still I'm questioning if you are talking about casuals or ranked as casuals don't mean a lot here compared to ranked (before the hunter guardian meta)

Swc had cq a 20% not picked or banned rate with 13 gods not played out of the now 65 (thought it were 61 at swc don't know anymore)
LoL had a big 51 out of the 101 (50.8%) in pick or banned (but they only have 6 bans instead of 10)
and then the big winner dota with 8 not picked. Also probably will their amount go lower this year as 5 of those 8 are already pick/banned)

I'm basing my "picked/viable" list off the SWC, especially since the spike in advertisements HiRez has started. And to your point, the last 4 gods released were Hou Yi, who no one plays, Bellona, aka the single most overpowered character in game, Medusa, the easiest hunter in the game, and Ah Puch, who is not competitively viable for a few days until the squirrel comes out.
-George Carlin

FemFatalis

Established (15)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » May 27, 2015 11:55am | Report
FemFatalis wrote:

DMbrandon, a player and commentator that I respect for his knowledge and playstyle (even if his attitude is less than perfect), believes that the back-to-back releases of Bellona and Medusa were almost as broken as release Guan Yu, bongos, broken Taolu Assault, and all. Guan Yu was released almost 3 years ago. We haven't had a single broken release in that long, and then we get Bellona, a failed attempt to counter the hunter meta, and Medusa, one of the most overpowered hunters in the game? Something needs to change on the design team.

LOL you obviously weren't there for release Guan if you think Medusa was anywhere close. Medusa was just strong, she was never OP. Even though Bellona was balls OP after release, she'd still be a joke to release Guan.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FemFatalis » May 27, 2015 12:10pm | Report
I don't think there's any god that can touch release Guan Yu, I never said they were close. On the scale of broken releases, the closest we had in Season 1 was Sylvanus, and that was just glitches with the auto attack range. Medusa was overpowered in terms of scaling and playstyle as a hunter, and I don't think she can be compared to Guan Yu, simply based on their differing playstyles. Medusa could safely clear the wave with no weakness to poke, take 1/8th of the Gold Fury's health with Viper Shot, and had (still has) the worst excuse for cc that a hunter could ever receive. A 2 second stun is enough for any ADC to murder even a tank.

Bellona couldn't take Guan Yu, but that's simply because she counters other gods. Coming out with that god singlehandedly removed 10-20 gods from the meta, and if that's not broken, I don't know what is.
-George Carlin

FemFatalis

Established (15)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }