Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Hunter Guardian Meta Is Horribly Unenjoyable

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Hunter Guardian Meta Is Horribly Unenjoyable 86 posts - page 1 of 9
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » May 25, 2015 11:17pm | Report
Taking some of this from this post on r/smite, I've been thoroughly unsatisfied with the current meta. Hunters are probably my least favorite class to play against and having 2-3 of them per game has pretty much ruined conquest for me as of late. The most I can do is one match before taking a break doing another game mode or something else. Was curious what your guys thoughts were, what changes do you think they should make?

Some notable offerings in those comments were:
  • reducing ranged physical lifesteal to 50% efficiency
  • Enfeebling Curse stops crits
  • changing ADCs' kits to have either escapes or CC, but not both
  • reduce base damages to lesson hunters' early game survivability
  • general reduction in crit damages
  • full rework of itemization and crit system so that hunters have to choose from a variety of options rather than having every stat they could possibly need late game

I feel that CountPeter has summed up my thoughts on the matter the best

Thoughts?
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 26, 2015 12:25am | Report
Lifesteal: No. This is stupid. Lifesteal isn't even much of a factor on ADCs - it's for in-lane sustain, nothing more; in the instaburst meta of Smite, the amount of health you get from lifestealing in a teamfight is barely a factor.

Enfeebling Curse: And now you have an item that single-handedly makes ADCs and autoattacking assassins unviable. That'll just make mage-bruiser-support meta.

Kit Changes: Oh, wait, OTHER MOBAS ACTUALLY HAVE DONE THIS ****! THEY DON'T SHOVE EVERYTHING INTO A CHAMPION'S KIT!

Base Damages: THIS TOO!

Item Rework: AND THIS!

Crit Damage Reduction: Nah. Crits work fine; it's the power/pen itemization that's the problem.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 26, 2015 12:32am | Report
The sad part is, if you rework Smite's hunters to be like other ADCs, they won't survive it and will die as a class. By definition, ADCs have the strongest late game of practically any class, and logically, when you give them infinite mana, absurd stat stacking, a lack of good armor items, a stupid pen item, and escapes and CC up the wazoo, you get the ADC meta.

Realistically, HiRez won't change much. Just like how mid lane used to have a pool of four gods, HiRez only swaps one problem to another.

And unfortunately, if you change all hunters to give them less CC and escapes and damage, then no one would use them. Because they'd be the only class in the entire game to not have CC + escapes + damage + utility, so they'd just get replaced by mages, or assassins, or bruisers, or whatever.

Warriors had the same problem. Now ADCs have the same problem. And if you nerf ADCs, some other class or god is going to have the same damn problem of being too good at everything.

If you want to change this [blank] meta, you need to rework the game from the ground up - items, abilities, map design, god design.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » May 26, 2015 2:46am | Report
Is it just me or every patch, there are less god changes, only bug fix

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 26, 2015 2:48am | Report
And hopefully some people will now get the reason why sub finds the game unbalanced this meta is the perfect example.

And also the 3-4 god pool normally while in dota (don't know it for LoL as you even pro's won't have everybody) the amount of heroes who don't see play in the TI is around 1-5 from the 110+ (starting at the qualifiers)

I gotta agree that hunters should have more items because the build is pretty mcuh always the same.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » May 26, 2015 6:58am | Report
In my opinion, crit items should not give power.
It should enhance your build by adding chance to double dmg.
The same way attack speed items should not give power.

By changing that, a hunter build would be 2 power items, and either attack speed or crit, not both.
Then, it would be easier to counter build, with anti-crit and anti-attack speed items.

Another way would be to make hunters even more squichy.
Even if they have full lifesteal, if they don't have much health pool to survive a burst, it could be balanced.

But right now, I feel that the solution HiRez found was to release gods that are just unbalanced and don't fix them. That way, yeah hunters are OP, but many other gods are too, so that's balanced.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » May 26, 2015 9:04am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Lifesteal: No. This is stupid. Lifesteal isn't even much of a factor on ADCs - it's for in-lane sustain, nothing more; in the instaburst meta of Smite, the amount of health you get from lifestealing in a teamfight is barely a factor.

Enfeebling Curse: And now you have an item that single-handedly makes ADCs and autoattacking assassins unviable. That'll just make mage-bruiser-support meta.

Kit Changes: Oh, wait, OTHER MOBAS ACTUALLY HAVE DONE THIS ****! THEY DON'T SHOVE EVERYTHING INTO A CHAMPION'S KIT!

Base Damages: THIS TOO!

Item Rework: AND THIS!

Crit Damage Reduction: Nah. Crits work fine; it's the power/pen itemization that's the problem.

Going to agree with all these points except for the first one. While lifesteal does not matter as much in a teamfight, it's often the difference between surviving engagements for hunters or dying due to being focused. This would also give Assassins more viability in dueling hunters especially in the mid game since they could out-lifesteal them without items like Brawler's Beat Stick or Weakening Curse being required.

While I do think that smite would be more balanced with a full item rework (you wouldn't need much of a map rework if you did the item rework right), I still think that at least in the short term, you could reach enough of a balance just by reworking hunters itemization and certain gods' kits (not just hunters, but other classes) to get around 80% of the gods playable in SPL. This is of course a rough estimate, and very opinionated. Don't take any of this as fact, I'm just an optimistic person.

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 26, 2015 2:12pm | Report
Zilby wrote:

to get around 80% of the gods playable in SPL.

well this goal needs more then just re-itemisation. as the biggest problem smite has (and LoL too IMO) is power creep. All new gods are so OP then get nerfed to be a bit balanced but old gods don't get such a change meaning people will abandon them and they won't see a lot of play as they are bad.

power creep is one of the results of bringing out new gods fast (2 a month is a lot I don't know if hi-rez has gone to once a month now) especially since the pool is growing. the problem that exist is that you have less time to look at balancing compared to older gods.

this doesn't have input on ranked as I believe they aren't playable after they come out

there is a reason why it takes so long for dota to get hero's especially if you go and look at ranked. Oracle is the second last god and is still not in ranked while the newest already is)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » May 26, 2015 2:52pm | Report
When I was saying balancing changes, part of what I was referring to was nerfing gods like Bellona and Serqet and buffing gods like Hades and Zeus. Power creep has been a very pervasive issue recently, more so I feel than at any other time in smite ( Bellona was so overpowered it was simply painful).

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FemFatalis » May 26, 2015 7:25pm | Report
To be fair, right now a lot of the early gods are still viable. Sure, gods like Bellona are overpowered even after "nerfs" (Come on HiRez! Duration decrease on Eagle's Rally is enough of a nerf?), but out of the original gods, most of them are amazing. Out of the first 29 gods, Agni, Cupid, Hun Batz (originally SWK), Anhur, Ares, Bakasura, Bastet, Hades, Hercules, Sobek, Thor, and Xbalanque are all still played.

That said, the power creep in Smite is insanity. I think with new additions to the design/balancing team (-_- Drybear), design doesn't realize how broken new gods are compared to their class. Remember release Medusa with a 2s 40% slow, an incredibly scaling steroid, and the safest clear in the game? Forget Bellona, we all know she's broken a la Serqet, and I personally think she was made specifically for pro play. The real problem is that HiRez doesn't know what's good and what isn't, and when they make changes to gods, they don't know how to make them viable. At least not anymore.

And of course, there's the other side of the spectrum. Some of the newest gods, e.g Cabrakan, Nox, Awilix, are underpowered. If HiRez doesn't give us a balanced god soon (and Ratatoskr doesn't seem that way, at least from pro videos of how broken the healing acorn is), I don't know if I can trust the ranked scene anymore. Six bans isn't enough to get rid of insane products of design like Bellona.

TL;DR: I'm probably playing casuals until player skill becomes more important than "Hello, I'm Sylvanus/ Bellona so I win lane now uwu".
For Glory! An Ullr ADC Guide
A Strong Bond! An Aphrodite Solo Guide
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ‘You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.’"
-George Carlin

FemFatalis

Established (15)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }