Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » General Discussion » Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite 305 posts - page 15 of 31
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » December 20, 2014 4:31pm | Report
A thing I would like to add. It's in more things in the world then only games. But you guys are all like we don't pay attention to how Nox looks but what oa kuang is building.

THIS IS ONLY THE CONSCIOUS PART OF YOUR MIND

If we are going to have it about the unconscious part (which is like 80% of your mind) the story is different.

so if you are watching a movie or playing a game (even reading books) when like the movie uses a mac (silent reclame or how it's called in English) you yourself doesn't notice it but your brain does. the point this has is to let people buy macs (so they promote macs)

In games etc we have this too with the topic we're talking about. you yourself doesn't pay as much attention too it but your brain still does. so a lot of games are actually promoting sex (and most of these games who take this (too) far) mostly have a age rating of 16. The only thing smite has is a warning that it can contain inappropriate content for children (while other games normally also list what's in it like use of alcohol an partial nudity etc)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » December 20, 2014 4:38pm | Report
Aeadar returns! :D

I used to actually debate on a team. Too bad I quit lol. I'm liking the discussion (ignoring the mudslinging) so far. I actually do worship some of the Hindu gods (Kali and Rama), so I'm interested to see what you guys will say.

Oh the few subtle things about your OP I didn't agree with sub is about Scylla. I think you're stretching it a bit too far. It could just be they named it and didn't even think about sex in the first place. Not to mention Zoey/Zoe (pronounced the same in Greek) is also a boys name. Nothing really else tbh, just one of your other posts containing a pic of Monica Bellucci. Maybe not in that picture but the majority of pictures of her are sexualized. I mean it's part of the industry.

I still don't understand why Hi-Rez would have Nox's taunt. She's supposed to be regal. Awilix's taunt is shaking her butt at the enemy so... If anything it's getting a lot worse than it has in the past.

So yeah, I pretty much agree with you Sub.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Chiulin » December 20, 2014 4:47pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

A thing I would like to add. It's in more things in the world then only games. But you guys are all like we don't pay attention to how Nox looks but what oa kuang is building.

THIS IS ONLY THE CONSCIOUS PART OF YOUR MIND

If we are going to have it about the unconscious part (which is like 80% of your mind) the story is different.

so if you are watching a movie or playing a game (even reading books) when like the movie uses a mac (silent reclame or how it's called in English) you yourself doesn't notice it but your brain does. the point this has is to let people buy macs (so they promote macs)

In games etc we have this too with the topic we're talking about. you yourself doesn't pay as much attention too it but your brain still does. so a lot of games are actually promoting sex (and most of these games who take this (too) far) mostly have a age rating of 16. The only thing smite has is a warning that it can contain inappropriate content for children (while other games normally also list what's in it like use of alcohol an partial nudity etc)

That's called sub conscious marketing and is actually something most major corporations spend millions on. It can be as simple as making a soda bottle red, or blue. Like Coca cola and Pepsi. Simply because when a consumer sees the red, or blue. It stands out more than a color like white, or black and influences your decision making on something as simple as color.

It also goes more in depth like what Victoria's Secret does with their marketing techniques. They get beautiful women to model their underwear and post it all around the store. That way when the consumer walks in they see a super sexy woman in this underwear. Sub consciously your mind sees that as that underwear is sexy. Meaning you are more likely to buy it as it seems it would make you feel sexier.

http://www.magnatar.nl/Magnatar/Brain_food/Artikelen/2011/8/18_Marketing_Metaphoria_-_Zaltman_files/howcustomersthink.pdf

Here's an article on that too. So what you said is fairly accurate. They are; in a way, promoting sex. However, it does have all the warning labels on ESRB rating. What I don't get is how it got away with rated T instead of M. As it includes many of the same things that rated M games, like GTA5 include.

Chiulin

Prominent (31)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 20, 2014 5:31pm | Report
Chiulin wrote:

First of all, I'd like to point out that this article, and these studies were all performed and written by PhD's in a related field. They are published by a top tier college. I highly doubt this article went without being reviewed by many other top researchers in the field before being published.

Not only that, but I want your proof. I want proof that it is flawed. Not something you came up with off the top of your head. You aren't a master in the field, or on the topic, and you have no credibility. I still haven't seen any sources for your information.

The fact that it's written by people with a PHD is an irrelevant appeal to authority. Academics can always be wrong, regardless of their background. Plenty of articles - and I mean plenty - go through the peer review process and remain weak. That is because the process itself is fundamentally flawed in a number of ways.

As I said, I'll discuss it tomorrow. I'm still tackling Sub's massive post.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheGenocideLord » December 20, 2014 6:14pm | Report
Greenevers wrote:

Aeadar returns! :D

I used to actually debate on a team. Too bad I quit lol. I'm liking the discussion (ignoring the mudslinging) so far. I actually do worship some of the Hindu gods (Kali and Rama), so I'm interested to see what you guys will say.

You're polytheistic.................. that's actually pretty cool lol.

Seeing as how it's in topic and seeing as how you worship her, what was your standing on the old Kali scandal? (Sorry if this question is inappropriate or uncomfortable)
What my yearbook quote should be: "Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Ytrrium Oxygen Uranium Bismuth Technetium Einsteinium"

TheGenocideLord

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » December 20, 2014 6:28pm | Report
I don't mean to sound insulting, but reading these deep and complicated debates about a video game is just... Funny.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » December 20, 2014 7:09pm | Report

You're polytheistic.................. that's actually pretty cool lol.

Seeing as how it's in topic and seeing as how you worship her, what was your standing on the old Kali scandal? (Sorry if this question is inappropriate or uncomfortable)

I honestly didn't care. She was fine - I also don't worship Kali that much like. Technically we are a polytheistic religion but we believe that the many gods are aspects/personalities of the single God. And that single God can be anyone you want it to be. For me that is rama/vamana/krishna which are pretty much the same thing just different incarnations . I've never heard of vamana before the game though.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 20, 2014 7:23pm | Report
see next page - technical difficulties. For some reason a massive chunk [3/4s] of my reply has been cut-off prematurely.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » December 20, 2014 7:44pm | Report
Zanestorm wrote:

Test. For some reason a massive chunk [3/4s] of my reply has been cut-off prematurely.

It's likely too long with all the quotes, but I've confirmed that it's all still there by quoting. Just separate it into smaller posts and you should be golden.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 20, 2014 7:47pm | Report

It's likely too long with all the quotes, but I've confirmed that it's all still there by quoting. Just separate it into smaller posts and you should be golden.

I tried and it was only showing one quote. I may work now that we're on a new page. To be fair, it is horrifically long.

Let's try: Edit: it appears to still be broken.

Subzero008 wrote:

Firstly, you completely ignore how Smite ignores lore for the gods and not for the goddesses. What difference does it make that Smite draws from the real world? HiRez puts PLENTY of artistic license on the game anyway. As I mentioned in the OP, it's hypocritical to not show Zeus as a raging man **** when Freya remains "faithful" to the lore by being practically naked.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }