Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » General Discussion » Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite 305 posts - page 25 of 31
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 21, 2014 11:57pm | Report
Oh, and one more "logical fallacy."

Zane says that looking at a PHD and trusting them based on that is "an appeal to authority."

Zanestorm doesn't believe in doctors. When your doctor tells you to exercise, you should analyze ask Zanestorm to analyze everything he says and does, because just because he has a PHD doesn't mean he's right. Because trusting your doctor, or any doctor, is an "appeal to authority" and "therefore a logical fallacy."

Does anyone else have any idea of how ridiculous Zanestorm is?

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » December 22, 2014 12:05am | Report
I think you completely misinterpreted what he said. You listen to a doctor. You don't listen to someone else parroting what a doctor told them in some kind of misconstrued context. It's like webMD syndrome. Sure, real doctors post information there, but you're the one doing the diagnosis, not them.

I can't believe this is still going. That is all.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Chiulin » December 22, 2014 12:12am | Report
Ghraf wrote:

I think you completely misinterpreted what he said. You listen to a doctor. You don't listen to someone else parroting what a doctor told them in some kind of misconstrued context. It's like webMD syndrome. Sure, real doctors post information there, but you're the one doing the diagnosis, not them.

I can't believe this is still going. That is all.

No, he literally said that the only reason we believe the studies is because they come from someone with a position of some authority. In this case multiple PhD's....

It's still going on because that's the point of a debate... Although Zane isn't really debating.

Not only that, but he said that without even checking the article and claimed that it was one PhD, when it is actually several. It was a really ignorant statement...

Chiulin

Prominent (31)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » December 22, 2014 1:33am | Report
line gets drawn.

remember the SF alloy? from this point onward we will not discuss the topic between zane and sub. if that argument has to be finished you should do it through pm.

new topic. it's not logical for them to be wearing armor this ineffective from any possible standpoint. if the godessess wanted to be ****s they could have gone completely naked by they didn't. if they wanted to wear protection then this is highly innefficient protection.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 22, 2014 1:55am | Report
*Shrug* and maybe they didn't want to be completely naked and they're just wearing it as a fashion choice :P
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » December 22, 2014 2:03am | Report
so when running into a place immortals could die they would rather look fabouless then look like they aren't going to die. remember in multiple lore's immortals aren't as unkillable as the name suggests and when an immortal does die the other immortals most of the time do not enjoy it because it takes fear from the nama away.

the fasion choice for gods like aphrodite who don't care about anything other then sex but for gods of wisdom and hun and war or fights i don't think they would just go fasionista when they are going to a place where they can die, it would be illogical.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 22, 2014 2:10am | Report
Well define "die"

Because no one truly dies in this game.

And who knows what the true intention of the battleground is?
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » December 22, 2014 2:29am | Report
would say hirez knows but i know better then that.

no mather which way you put it there is some form of death even if temporary going on at the battlegrounds. if i'd be an immortal i would say even temporary death of an immortal would be pretty insulting.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 22, 2014 2:41am | Report
All4Games wrote:

so when running into a place immortals could die they would rather look fabouless then look like they aren't going to die. remember in multiple lore's immortals aren't as unkillable as the name suggests and when an immortal does die the other immortals most of the time do not enjoy it because it takes fear from the nama away.

the fasion choice for gods like aphrodite who don't care about anything other then sex but for gods of wisdom and hun and war or fights i don't think they would just go fasionista when they are going to a place where they can die, it would be illogical.

Got back to a **** storm about me [with the usual lies] and I'm told I'm not allowed to defend myself because sub/ch spammed the page. Fair.

On topic:

Deities aren't humans and don't have modern human concerns. Their armour is frequently a representation of themselves - not an efficient piece of gear. This also links to the limitations of a Moba itself - they cannot possibly represent the deities fairly in a battleground. Exaggerating the art within line with the lore [but also within the limits of their games rating aka not nude] is entirely reasonable.

Actually deities like Athena in their lore were shown to be incredibly envious of deities like Aphrodite and Arachne, so it isn't much of a stretch to imagine - if they had human concerns on our level - that Athena would adjust her clothing choices to compete with Aphrodite's.

Deities don't actually die in this game, they respawn. And what they wear prior to entering lacks the magical potency to defend against another God. In terms of lore within Smite, you may as well treat every deity as naked at the start of a match. Any item potent enough to deal with another God has to be purchased - including armour - no God innately gets to wear armour with protections [although certain classes get higher protections.] We can therefore assume that in the canon of smite, the artefacts that can empower the deities with regards to battle can only be found on the battlefield, not prior to it.

Since their armour - prior to entering the battlefield - has no bearing on the outcome of the fight, it literally does not matter what they are wearing. And whilst that can be taken as evidence to suit them up, it can just as easily be used to justify more risque deity representation. As that is the status quo; we then lack a reason within the canon of the game and real-world deity lore to change it. I would argue that there is nothing wrong with what any deity is wearing, as the logic of both the game itself and the lore outside of the game both support flippant fashion sense amongst Gods and Goddesses.

There is also more to be said on the fact that deities are incredibly competitive. If female deities are presenting themselves in a risque way, that would naturally spur other female deities to compete [as most Greek/Roman deities especially often displayed hyper-competitiveness and jealousy.] Male deities aren't by and large dressed in a risque way, so the other male deities wouldn't feel like they're competing in that regard.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » December 22, 2014 3:06am | Report
you are allowed to defend your self, in a pm, in this thread we are done with that. i warned you in page 22 and 23 and you said your self you wanted to try and end it earlier, well the pages are full and that conversation is over.

deities in this game for the most, look like humans, talk like humans, act like humans and some of them are actual humans... i will look at them as humans.

athena is also not an idiot, if she wouldn't put her own life on the line just because she is jealous of aphro tits. if she would do it to out of envy she would not wear any armor at all because she would try to upstage her. she wouldn't be able to upstage her in her current clothing because to **** out aphro you need to go full naked or full fetish. athena doesn't do that, she doesn't try to upstage aphro.

they die and respawn, still death.

they absorb the power of the items they by, that is pretty much the theory for what happens in any moba with the items they buy and i accept that for smite as well. here is the thing, why would they buy items that give them more survivablity yet not wear any actual armor... the stats i chok up to game mechanics that the characters may or may not be completely aware of. but they do get natural protections, i think those natural protections represent the defense they have when coming into a fight, wearing armor should be seen as that, they wear incredibly illogical armor but still armor.

if they truely cared about fashion none of them would even try to wear armor. if they cared about surviving they would wear armor, they care about surviving because A: they can die though they respawn and B: they are in a fight that they can lose if they constantly die.

gods don't like losing or dying in anyway... it's logical for them to wear armor but the armor they wear is illogical.

gods are competitive yes, they are fighting in the battle grounds, anymore competition and they would compete for who smites the most mortals... i doupt that in the background some one as care free as aphro and some one as smart as athena would be trying to upstage eachother, that is lore speculation of smite it's self and because smite has no lore that argument is not standing on solid ground. from the original lore it does not make sense that in a setting like smite the gods would bicker over fashion and you can't build the same argument on smites lore because smite has no lore.

the deities are not idiots, yes they are competitive but these are win or lose and life or death situations, deities are also incredibly pridefull, they would not risk losing and dying just to look fashionable. they would do that in their own time when not at war.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }