Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » General Discussion » Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite 305 posts - page 18 of 31
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » December 21, 2014 9:41am | Report
Sub.

Is asking people to ignore someone's arguments the best way to win people's respect?

You've lost the respect that I have for your arguments.

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 21, 2014 9:49am | Report
FerrumSlash wrote:

Sub.

Is asking people to ignore someone's arguments the best way to win people's respect?

You've lost the respect that I have for your arguments.

Rawr, HATE SUB, Rawr!

You guys do realize that I'm not JUST asking you guys to ignore him? That I'm giving an actual reason as to why?

As in, he actually said that PHDs were a detriment to having a good source?

dacoqrs wrote:

I wouldn't be talking Sub. His "game" is EXTREMELY similar to yours, except yours has more insults.

What got in your bonnet? When have I been illogical? When have I made blatant falsehoods, like saying that internalized prejudice wasn't a thing, or a stupid theory that wasn't true?

Seriously, I find this insulting.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » December 21, 2014 9:51am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Quote please.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 21, 2014 9:51am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

I never said that. Sub, seriously, please stop lying about me. This is getting abit ridiculous now. I think it would be better if from now on, if before you make a claim that I said something, you quoted me actually saying it. That way you'd know exactly what I have and haven't said. Just a thought.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 21, 2014 10:03am | Report

So you are saying that Feminist opinions and research don't matter because they are bias?

I guess a person of any race can't make anything that has anything to do with racism then because they are clearly bias!

I guess gay people and straight people can't argue why gay couples should/should not be allowed to get married because they are clearly bias!

I am a feminist so guess I should just stop posting on any forum ever because clearly I'm bias!

I have to bring this up because I see this way to often:

People don't know the meaning of being a "Feminist".

It means:
Somebody who publicly supports the social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men.

I see people all the time confuse feminists with "somebody who hates men" or "somebody who things that woman are superior to men" (for the lack of a better word, a so called "Feme-nazi"). All feminists want is for woman to be treated equal to men. Not better, not worse.

Sorry, this might be a bit of topic.
But I really hade to let this out because it drives me insane whenever I say that I'm a feminist and people respond with "OMG! How could you betray your own gender!".

Look at this post.

Also, Feminism is about Gender Equality because Gender Inequality is biased against women, for the most part. Seriously, how is this a hard question? Why is this so hard to understand. LOOK AT NEX'S ****ING POSTS INSTEAD OF BASHING MINE FFS.

As for the quote:

Zanestorm wrote:
You're stating that the study is sound because it was published by a high-end college/university and was written by PHD students. That is an appeal to authority.

Note that the sources weren't written by PHD students, but people who actually got their PHDs.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nex The Slayer » December 21, 2014 10:03am | Report
Zanestorm wrote:

snip

Then what is a good source?

You say that Wikipedia (arguably not true) and the news (which is true) is not a good source, only something official and academic is a good source.

So they show you an academic essay, written by a doctor. Its not a good source because the person who wrote it is bias?

Do we need to find a source that is written by a doctor that has no political opinion, has no gender, no sexual preference, no race and not a part of any country for you to deem it a non bias source? Because last time i checked such a person doesn't exist!

Nex The Slayer

Prominent (37)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 21, 2014 10:06am | Report
All of Zanestorm's posts are biased, and their PHDs and stuff are also biased, and the dudes who wrote them were also clearly biased, which makes his sources better than ours for no reason other than him saying they're biased.

But people are never going to ignore Zanestorm because I am a ******** Hate Sink for most of this site and any opinion that goes against mine is instantly going to get +10 rep and a **** ton of support.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheGenocideLord » December 21, 2014 10:07am | Report
Just a quick summary of what each side is doing wrong and something hopefully you guys keep in mind:

Sub's side: Not actually concentrating on the original topic which is oversexualization in Smite. I know it got a little bit diverted when replying to Zanestorm and one event led to another, but eventually you have to get back on track.

Zane's side: Not enough sources man. People keep asking you for sources, and if you don't give them sources, it's not gonna matter how well-crafted your argument is, it's gonna sound subjective.

I know that these have been said before, but hopefully hearing them from a third party will make you realize these
What my yearbook quote should be: "Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Ytrrium Oxygen Uranium Bismuth Technetium Einsteinium"

TheGenocideLord

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » December 21, 2014 10:19am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

As for the quote:

Zanestorm wrote:
You're stating that the study is sound because it was published by a high-end college/university and was written by PHD students. That is an appeal to authority.

Note that the sources weren't written by PHD students, but people who actually got their PHDs.

So you misquoted him. Does he say that the PHD is a DETRIMENT? No. He says that just because it was written by someone with a PHD does not mean it's automatically correct.

You wonder why people don't agree with you? That's why. Because you accuse him of things he did not even say.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 21, 2014 10:21am | Report

Then what is a good source?

You say that Wikipedia (arguably not true) and the news (which is true) is not a good source, only something official and academic is a good source.

So they show you an academic essay, written by a doctor. Its not a good source because the person who wrote it is bias?

Do we need to find a source that is written by a doctor that has no political opinion, has no gender, no race and not a part of any country for you to deem it a non bias source? Because last time i checked such a person doesn't exist!

A good source states if it has bias immediately in the introduction, and works to mitigate their bias by discussing all sides of the issue.

They will cite sources accurately. These sources will be cited to the page - with a relevant quote supplied or idea summarized linked to that page. They will not generally cite entire articles, that is reserved for the bibliography. They must be specific. Page 2. Page 15. Not pages 111-123 maybe somewhere.

They will cite up-to-date sources when discussing any topic with modern contention [like society and culture] as both can experience rapid change, so citing sources from 20-30 years ago is misrepresenting the present.

They will pull sources from a variety of locations with no obvious ideological bias, or when the bias is obvious, explicitly state it. Moreover they will pull sources that contend their points, to open up points for discussion and prove they're well-read on the subject and have made attempts to understand opponents POV.

There's obviously more to academic convention than that, but with regards to sources that's the gist of it.

Wikipedia has edit wars and numerous ideological groups editing articles favourably. A good example is wiki-project feminism, which is becoming notorious for edit wars. I believe a recent one was messing with a notable feminists page. I think her name was the Factual Feminist? Something like that. I think they also did it to another Feminist - Wendy Mcelroy. It's sadly common, as most people can edit the wiki [who don't know about academic convention or sources] it makes it far less reliable.

The person who wrote that source cites authors who, as I went over, don't substantiate their own claims with evidence. They're all dated authors for a modern topic like this, and all of them can be linked to ideological bias. The author didn't make any obvious attempt to cite non-feminist articles that I saw, nor did the articles that the author used that I saw and went over.

You're absolutely right - everyone has a bias! But academics work hard to mitigate that bias in many ways, from providing counter-arguments to pulling sources from different authors with different stances, to ensure they're presenting as much of the picture as they can within reason. Sadly, the author cited did not do that that I saw, neither did the authors citations either. Moreover the author(s) made some incredible claims with no citations at all to back it up, and the original author didn't provide any direct citations. It all adds up.

Ideally you'd provide numerous Academic sources with different points of view, that discuss different points of view, that all come together to support the claims made in the OP with hard evidence. That hasn't happened.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }