Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

PSA: Predictive Counterplay

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » PSA: Predictive Counterplay 17 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » February 1, 2015 9:43am | Report
dacoqrs wrote:

Yeah, by "juking" we don't mean just popping aegis.

And by counterplay most people don't mean Juking :P

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » February 2, 2015 11:44am | Report
Perhaps the idea of juking as counterplay isn't so much just the action, but rather the knowledge about the enemy gods to predict their actions (hence, "predictive counterplay").

Take Hercules, for example. If you or he are just initiating, and you know his skill set, you really should be thinking that his initial move will be Earthbreaker as it's not on cooldown. Depending on the situation, you may want to actually get in a boxing match with him...so instead of just juking laterally, you could try to make him waste it by staying just out of range and baiting him, or you could rush in quickly to surprise him, getting inside of his pull location.

Sure, that's gameplay and knowledge, but I think the thought behind the action works in the general concept.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » February 2, 2015 1:27pm | Report
I think I agree with the way Devampi is going with it.

Your description, Dac, absolutely can count as counterplaying, and I agree with it. I think once you play the game enough, you'll be able to read your opponent a lot better, which will allow you to predict what they'll do next. For example, like you used in your example, take Herc. If you keep your eye on him, it's not very hard to know when he's going to try and knock you up with Earthbreaker. Most Hercs are very predictable with it. Having the knowledge of how most Hercs try to initiate with it, it's not hard to dodge it. Granted, I don't have any numbers on it, but most of the time, when I'm going against an enemy Herc, I can probably dodge more than half of his attempts at knocking me up because I know when to expect it. I consider that counterplaying.

However, as Devampi said as well, there are some that believe counterplaying is a lot more than just positioning and dodging, and yeah, they'd be right in saying that there isn't a whole lot of counter playing against some god combos based on their combos and the items we have to deal with them. There's not many other ways to counter Poseidon's whirlpool + Kraken combo besides Aegis, and if you don't have that up, you're more than likely screwed. Some gods have abilities to counter it, but not all.

Do I necessarily think it's a horrible thing? Not really. It sucks getting caught in Poseidon's combo, but really, in my opinion, positioning and awareness is very important in Smite, and you will be punished if you're not careful in either aspect. If you watch your enemy and pay attention to how they play, you might be able to read them well enough to avoid those types of attacks, and if not, there's always Aegis as a get-out-of-jail free card. Granted, there are some times where it's really hard to avoid getting stuck in something like that, but that's just how the game goes. I think Smite is alright when it comes down to this. Not perfect, but not bad.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » February 3, 2015 7:06am | Report
I just thought of a brutal combo Hades ult and Whirlpool kraken

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Diomedes232 » February 3, 2015 9:22am | Report
Through in a Cabraken tremoring an I might cry from the sheer beauty

Diomedes232

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » February 3, 2015 12:43pm | Report
Diomedes232 wrote:

Through in a Cabraken tremoring an I might cry from the sheer beauty

Whirlpool would be better than Tremors, because the main drawback of Pillar of Agony is that the target will escape. With Whirlpool, the cripple ensure the target will take the whole damage from Pillar of Agony, unless an active is used of course.

Now, why not the 3 of them at the same time ?

Hades Pillar of Agony + Cabrakan Tremors for damage
+
Poseidon Whirlpool or Cupid Fields Of Love for cripple.

Pretty sure nobody can survive long this combo, unless built tanky.
Add in a Release The Kraken! if you are really that mean.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Diomedes232 » February 3, 2015 2:30pm | Report
C-c-combo aoe!

Diomedes232

Remarkable (6)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }