Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » General Discussion » Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite 305 posts - page 27 of 31
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » December 22, 2014 12:13pm | Report
Devampi, please ****ing ignore HIM ^.

If somebody wants to talk to Zane, don't feel like they can't just because you think he's wrong.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 22, 2014 12:25pm | Report
^ Thank you. Users should feel safe to talk to anyone they want to, in PM or on a forum post. If you want to ignore me Devampi, by all means its your right. The same goes for anyone and everyone, on this thread and otherwise. But please do not do so just because another user takes exception to my argument. I'd like to think people are adults and can decide for themselves who they want to talk to, without being told.

Edit:

Firraria wrote:

But Zane, Sub told me not to talk to strangers. D:

I won't bite. I will post massive posts though. Arguably that's worse. :P

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » December 22, 2014 1:12pm | Report
But Zane, Sub told me not to talk to strangers. D:

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HammaSmite » December 22, 2014 1:37pm | Report
I don't blame anything on Hirez. Instead, I blame it on Tencent.
In China, like Belial said, women are viewed as sex toys. AND since Tencent has control over Hirez, they
WANT Hirez to make women sex toys hence the rant by Sub. But, I still agree with Sub. But holy **** dat long rant though. My 600 page BOOK can't top THAT!
random thanatos main has appeared
    Attack
    Kill Secure
    Run
    Catch

HammaSmite

Remarkable (7)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 22, 2014 2:03pm | Report
HammaSmite wrote:

In China, like Belial said, women are viewed as sex toys. AND since Tencent has control over Hirez, they
WANT Hirez to make women sex toys hence the rant by Sub. But, I still agree with Sub. But holy **** dat long rant though. My 600 page BOOK can't top THAT!

I don't blame anyone really, since the source material is almost always sexualised by modern standards.

It's all open to interpretation. Like Chang'e is specifically a Chinese deity, but I don't think she's sexualised at all, let alone overly sexualised. You may disagree. I can't comment on Chinese sexism or lack thereof, I've only heard tid-bits of modern information [21st Century specifically.] But it does need stating again that most deities - male and female - were incredibly sexualised. The female deities are technically more lore-accurate than the males in that regard. It's a double standard, but that just means that Hi-rez should be creating more sexualised male deities, as that is consistent with the lore.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Chiulin » December 22, 2014 4:11pm | Report
Zanestorm wrote:

@Chiulin

The current clothes they are wearing don't contribute to their actual armour values as I've pointed out, so there's no reason for them to dress defensively as it would have no bearing on the outcome [it would add no defensive capacity in context of the game.] They aren't sentient, so don't feel pain. If they die *all the time* yet can still be played, it can be assumed they aren't truly dying at all.

If the current clothes they are wearing SHOULD contribute to their actual in-game defense, it would flat out break the game. Gods like Ymir and Ares would have hundreds of protections before the game even started. Gods like Neith would have none.

I actually understand where you are coming from. It doesn't necessarily have to be armor though. Neith could always wear an elegant war styled tunic and pants. You could even make the pants tight. It would add to her armor value, just reduce the amount of nudity. Kind of like what league did with Lux's design.

Chiulin

Prominent (31)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 22, 2014 4:29pm | Report
Chiulin wrote:

I actually understand where you are coming from. It doesn't necessarily have to be armor though. Neith could always wear an elegant war styled tunic and pants. You could even make the pants tight. It would add to her armor value, just reduce the amount of nudity. Kind of like what league did with Lux's design.

Don't get me wrong, I get the sentiment. Like, not everyone wants to look at bare skin 24/7 while playing a game. But at the same time, it isn't doing any harm. It's just pixels on a screen. No-one will think less of women, just because a character like Neith is dressed abit sexually [which does fit - Egyptian hunter and all she wasn't wearing much in the lore.] One of the reasons Chang'e is my main is because she is elegant, feminine, yet absolutely destroys people. Equally, I like characters like Neith who look ditsy but completely destroy other Gods, regardless of what she's wearing. And again, Athena is another of my mains - she's one of the most powerful guardians in the game, and does it all in high-heels. I don't find that oppressive to women, I think it's impressive if anything and a testament to the skill of the female Deities, that they could even fight so well in so little.

Like real talk, if you gave me a pair of heels and a spear and told me to go run into 5 people, I wouldn't even make it to them.

I'd LOVE to see Hi-rez add in Female Goddesses that aren't attractive, skinny or sexual in any way. That are big, or armoured, or suited up [like Saber from the Fate series, if you're familiar.] But finding those goddesses, and getting Hi-rez to put them in the game, is another matter entirely. Equally, they've picked alot of male Deities who are pretty diverse, so their character designs match that. I'd like them to find some more diverse female Deities - in terms of appearance. [their personalities are diverse already, which is great, but they obviously aren't perfect in other ways.]

And I do think male Deities need to be treated fairly - sexual ones like Zeus and Apollo definitely need to be presented in that manner, if they're going to present Deities like Aphrodite in that manner too. It's only fair, and I genuinely don't think anyone - male or female - would be that bothered by it.

I completely get the sentiment - and variety is the spice of life. BUT - and this is a big but. We can't expect Hi-rez to change their game to fit OUR preferences. Sure - most of us would love them to add in more visually interesting females AND males. But it's their game, and they have a right to present these Deities however they choose. They just happen to have extra leniency, as the source material they're pulling from is highly sexualised anyway by modern standards [generally, not all Deities but alot of them.]

And as aesthetic has no bearing on a characters protections in the context of the game, I just don't find that a strong enough justification to change the current god pools looks.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Reverend Belial » December 22, 2014 5:43pm | Report
HammaSmite wrote:

When did I say that? I mean, it's true, but I don't remember posting that anywhere.
Chaac and Ah baby! Chaac and Ah...

Reverend Belial

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » December 22, 2014 6:39pm | Report
He meant HolyPudding on page 4.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MultiGamingNetwork710 » December 22, 2014 9:37pm | Report
I like how everyone fails to understand that they DO sexualize men in Smite, I fap to Anubis and Hades all the time.

MultiGamingNetwork710

Notable (1)

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }