Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 19 31 >>
Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite 305 posts - page 3 of 31
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » December 19, 2014 5:00am | Report

Also, I would like everyone to remain civil and not pick a fight in this thread. This is a good and important topic that will be healthy for this community.

I've no love on how Subzero and All4 approached Ghraf's response.

All4Games wrote:

so it's okay to be racist, a misoginist, a facist, a (child) rapist, a (child) murderer, etc. as long as i make it in pixels? and not involve actual human beings?

so i can just make a game that uses pixels in which a grown man rapes a child? well steam be ready for your new best seller! "rape simulator"!

excuse me while i hurl in a bucket.

Newsflash!

There are actually games like that. We have RapeLay, Custer's Revenge, etcetc... Butbutbut, does it really contribute to the amount of rape? The amount of fascism? The amount of racism? The amount of violence?

And get this : Do more people play Super Mario or does more people play RapeLay?

So we'll see where i am in a few months, after i enjoy Smite for a while and Hi-Rez keeps releasing new content. By then we'll see if i turn into a misogynistic and sexist piece of ****.

Ghraf wrote:

There is nothing wrong with Smite. It's not an illegal product. It can and will be distributed in whatever manner they wish. Just because you don't like the way some of it looks doesn't mean you have any right to alter it, unless you are the developer. Hi-rez is a multi-million dollar company at this point and they're obviously not subservient to anyone's tender little feelings.

End.

THANK YOU!

Although, personally, i think Awilix's breast physics is a little gratuitous.

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » December 19, 2014 5:04am | Report
FerrumSlash wrote:
Although, personally, i think Awilix's breast physics is a little gratuitous.

You have to be blind not to agree with that, frankly. They jiggle even when she's standing still.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » December 19, 2014 5:07am | Report
Anymore personal attacks from here on out will be deleted. Aggression is fine, but ensure that it is a general statement and not one which is a direct, condescending attack on another person.

Please try to keep on topic.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 19, 2014 5:23am | Report
FerrumSlash wrote:

Don't hand me a flask of goat's piss and call it chamomile tea.

I suppose calling someone out as a 'jerkface' is 'healthy'? I've no love on how Subzero and All4 approached Ghraf's response.
Don't do this, plz.

You think MadDanny is mad for putting him in a black comedy routine? It was a light mockery. Don't turn it into something more than it is.

But for the record (and this is off topic), I think you DO have terrible taste. But that's all subjective.

Point is, stop taking it so personally.

FerrumSlash wrote:

Newsflash!

There are actually games like that. We have RapeLay, Custer's Revenge, etcetc... Butbutbut, does it really contribute to the amount of rape? The amount of fascism? The amount of racism? The amount of violence?

And get this : Do more people play Super Mario or does more people play RapeLay?

So we'll see where i am in a few months, after i enjoy Smite for a while and Hi-Rez keeps releasing new content. By then we'll see if i turn into a misogynistic and sexist piece of ****.
You're strawmanning.

Like I said, the problem isn't in the big things. You think a lot of people play Postal? Or the games you've listed? No, they don't, which means they impact people less than things like harem anime or other semi-popular, but harmful things. Think of it like killing five hundred people, versus inciting a civil war. One is talking, the other is killing, but which would lead to the worse body count?

And no, I'm not saying Smite leads to a body count. I'm saying that Smite is an overall more significant negative factor than any of those games you've listed, or even all of them combined, because people actually play it.

Sigh. I knew people would take this badly. Everyone is biased, okay? Fact of life. One of the things that make people biased is Smite. No one is saying you'll be this consciously biased hick in a few months. I'm just pointing out that Smite is one of those harmful factors.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » December 19, 2014 5:38am | Report
I like this post. You did a nice job on it. I don't agree with everything, namely some subtle things but the way you handled Gharaf's post was horrible.
<snipped>

Awilix jiggle physics were just... Lol.. Check smite loading screen for awilix its pretty scary how much they emphasized it

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 19, 2014 5:45am | Report
Holy ****, guys, let's move on.

Edit: Mind telling what those subtle things are?

Edit edit: Wow, three pages in less than three hours of posting.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Reverend Belial » December 19, 2014 7:36am | Report
On the voicing note, I'd bet money that most gods are voiced by Hi-Rez staff and those that aren't are voiced by the cheapest actor they could get. They don't really strike me as the type who would put a lot of effort into making things nice. This is the company who in the past blatantly mocked their own player base (warrior update anyone?), and are now in essence charging $100-ish for a skin that is quite frankly not a top of the line effort.

I'll leave a page long rant on my other thoughts for another time.
Chaac and Ah baby! Chaac and Ah...

Reverend Belial

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » December 19, 2014 8:15am | Report
FerrumSlash wrote:

Newsflash!

A newsflash for you Ferrum. The most of those games are BANNED (even GTA SA is a banned game now because coffee mod). So if you didn't hear the name of them you won't even know that they exist.

Also the super Mario point is pointless. one game gets advertisement and is buy able in stores the other isn't.

So now to get on topic.
I do agree with a lot of points here. and I even haven't heard a lot of the lines of gods so I won't go in on that. But yeah I'm finding that Hi-rez is starting to more sexualize their gods.
If I compare Nu Wa normal skin to the water dancer skin I see some minor differences but I literately notice that the the skin (that came out later) shows more of the bottom part of the boobs then the normal skin. Also in the watter dancer skin you can see the nipples ( Awilix has this too). So I'm questioning if the nipple thing is continuing.

on the sub/all4 vs ghraf (the maker of the first guide I ever visited):
they both handled it wrong.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Janitsu » December 19, 2014 8:15am | Report

Pantheon jokes about baking :^)

Janitsu

Prominent (25)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheGenocideLord » December 19, 2014 8:54am | Report
Perfect, I make a comment to explain my points to Ferrum so he's not angry with me forever and it gets deleted but everyone else is fine...

For the actual content, I agree that Hirez should make them more armored, I mean look at Freya. She is literally wearing breastplates. It looks like she put dishes on her boobs. How the hell does that make sense?
What my yearbook quote should be: "Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Ytrrium Oxygen Uranium Bismuth Technetium Einsteinium"

TheGenocideLord

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 19 31 >>
Forum

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }