Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » General Discussion » Dissecting Smite #1: Oversexualization, Stereotyping, Double-Standards, and Other Misogyny in Smite 305 posts - page 20 of 31
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 21, 2014 12:40pm | Report
As Genocide says, let's get back on track and talk about a REAL comment(s).

nurisea wrote:

Damn, I've got a lot to say. Give me some black coffee and an hour.

edit::

First of all -

This problem is bigger than Smite. It is ingrained into society - the sexualization of women and the fact that that sexuality specifically has to be for heterosexual men. By combating the little problems in the grander picture (i.e. Smite), we're moving forward. By ignoring them we're ignoring the issue as a whole and

The sexualization of men - i.e. Magic Mike, etc, is a moot point. Men aren't overtly sexualized for women. Men are overtly sexualized for men. And when I say this, it's not in a 'omg totally gay' way. It's in a 'due to the patriarchial views of society supported by men and upheld by men, men generally sexualize themselves in a way that makes them feel more powerful, more muscular.'

The first magazine is targeted at men. Hypersexualized, right? Abs, shirtless, the whole kablooey. The second is targeted more generally, though mostly at women. Regular guy in a regular t shirt that will cook you food. The biggest sexualizers of men are men. Is that to say women don't do it? No. But women don't view men the same way men view men.

And I want to take this time to veer away from the topic of Smite exlusively because I know I'm going to get angry messages about 'I've never done that! You're stereotyping me because I'm a man!' I never said you did. I said the male dominated and driven society does. This isn't personal - it's much bigger than you.

Missrepresentation is a great documentary on Netflix on the representation of women in media. I think it would do you a lot of good to watch it and I urge you to do so.

By disregarding Smite's problematic character designs, you're disregarding the opportunity to make a change.

I'm super cold and also super sleepy, so I'll add more tomorrow. But I urge you all to do more research into how rampant oversexualization of women is - and how our own sexuality is taken away from us to be used as a bargaining chip for capitalistic gains. But more than anything, I want you to look at what I've said and either say a) I'm going to disagree with her and bring up valid points I have researched and lived or b) totally agree with her and be happy someone is describing what I feel. This isn't a personal attack and if you take it as one as a man it's because you've completely missed my entire point.

If the blatant double standards of Smite is on your mind less than Ao Kuang's build, you should probably ask yourself why the bombardment of unrealistic standards set on women aren't very important to you.

dacoqrs wrote:

What the hell is this Sarkeesian ********?

Really? Patriarchy? Capitalistic gains?

I'll ****ing tell you why the "blatant double standards of Smite" aren't on our mind as much as what to build Ao Kuang, because some of us JUST WANT TO PLAY THE ******** GAME.

Your post is condescending, pretentious, and filled with fourth wave Feminist Theory, and if you actually think you're going to persuade anyone you're right with your "patriarchy" ********, you're absolutely wrong.

I apologize up front for the harshness, but I have a very strong opinion about feminists in video games.
Dacoqrs, no offense, but nurisea is right.

Firstly, she has a point about the whole paying attention to the game vs message thing. I mean, it's easy to just glance over it, isn't it? Raising awareness and making people confront, rather than avoid, the messages in this game was part of the reason why I made this, after all. (And I repeat: I wrote my first argument with TT about this way, way, way back when I was a die hard Smite fan trying to get into Platinum while writing tons of guides. If I can notice it, so can you.)

Like, I get that you're trying to speak for the people who don't notice it, but really, reexamine those you're trying to defend. Is it really...good (not talking about accountability) that they ignore it? I said myself that the general apathy is part of the problem.

Second, your knee-jerk reaction to her post should be toned down. Insulting someone because you were angry at the contents of their post is like the inverse of ad hominem. You seem to think that there's no real basis to her words, so I'll go over them.

nurisea wrote:
The biggest sexualizers of men are men. Is that to say women don't do it? No. But women don't view men the same way men view men.
This is frankly true.

When we see men sexualized (over or not), we usually see them doing something badass or cool or awesome. We see this all the time in shows like Supernatural, shirtless scenes in movies, etc. Yeah, they're sexualized, but they're sexualized in a way that emphasizes their power, their strength, their badassery, etc.

When we see women sexualized, well...ironically, this is the exact opposite problem as the overseuxalization in Smite: The diversity is a problem. (Actually, inverse would be better than opposite.)

Some sexualized women are shown as intimidating. Some are shown as weak, some are shown as homely, some are shown as artificial, some are shown as disgusting, some are shown as beautiful. Blah blah blah, yeah. Men are just shown as dominant or powerful, most of the time.

Now, let's me ask you a question: Why aren't men's sexualization equally diverse? My theory is based on the fact that men, sadly, compose the majority of producers and directors of Hollywood and other media. And so, I say, when we see women, it's usually to fulfill one specific fetish, or rarely (getting more common, true), shown to be just as awesome as men are. And for the other part, frankly, men want to be seen as powerful and cool and all that jazz, so since they're the majority, they get to pick and choose most of the time.

When have you last seen a man doing some kind of sexual act to debase himself or otherwise show how weak he is? When men make advances, they'll usually thawing the Ice Queen (Avatar) or doing it in the name of good (James Bond) or just, you know, "being men." (Iron Man)

When you usually see a women in relation to sex, she's seducing someone as an antagonist (Sin City), being seduced (Witcher), being seduced for her own good (Mass Effect) (oh, and being seduced is the only way, naturally), or frankly, being seen as unfaithful or wrong (Assassin's Creed), or DEAD (The Disposable Prostitute/Death by Sex Trope). There are a lot of tropes about this.

nurisea wrote:
By disregarding Smite's problematic character designs, you're disregarding the opportunity to make a change.
Especially when it's the only opportunity to change.

I'll say this as support: Culture, and by extension Video Game Culture, only changes when people actively go for it. Not just in feminism, like the tons of examples I showed in my reply to Zanestorm, but for things like racism (Just look up Punch-Out!!), music (ELECTRONIC and weird choruses versus the good old fashioned poppy beats), etc etc.

The more serious the issue, generally speaking, the more active-ness is needed to change. Things like music or art direction (like that weird cel-shading movement, or that weird fascination with retro everything) can usually happen by itself (or a groundbreaking game being followed). But for bigger issues, you need a bigger push to break the cycle, to recycle a metaphor.

Sexism in gaming is a big enough issue where multiple Feminist movements STILL haven't stopped the oversexualization or double standards in gaming. It's a big issue. Maybe not the biggest, but not the smallest, and I pray to god, Dacoqrs, that you won't be like Zanestorm and say it's a small issue that isn't a problem.

nurisea wrote:
our own sexuality is taken away from us to be used as a bargaining chip for capitalistic gains
How are you disputing this?

It's as simple as "sex sells" and "women don't have much control over many artistic industries."

Yeah, sometimes "sex sells" is used with men, but it's done with women way more often, and there's a difference between men's and women's sexualization, as explained above.

nurisea wrote:
I want you to look at what I've said and either say a) I'm going to disagree with her and bring up valid points I have researched and lived or b) totally agree with her and be happy someone is describing what I feel. This isn't a personal attack and if you take it as one as a man it's because you've completely missed my entire point.
I don't see any valid points. The only point was accusing her of being a pretentious arrogant condescending femnazi. I don't care if the last term wasn't exactly what you said, it was clearly what you meant, or something close to it.

You scoff at the idea of a "patriarchy." You know that the definition of an anything-archy is what rules something? Frankly, there are more men in any form of media-dispensing thing than women in pretty much everything, which means, yes, men are mostly in control of our media. But the problem is is that "mostly-patriarchy" doesn't sound good, and "patriarchy" isn't 100% accurate.

Maybe even the word "control" isn't accurate. Maybe it is. Whatever.

The POINT is that yes, there is a patriarchy. Just look past the dramatic-sounding title to see what the word fundamentally means.

If you don't believe me, just google how many writers/scriptwriters/artists/directors/etc are women, percent-wise. The numbers don't lie. And please, don't say something like "women get more influence over men, so the actual balance is more even than you think."

Oh, and: In feminist theory the concept of patriarchy is fluid and loosely defined. It's also known to be called sexism or misogyny.

nurisea wrote:
If the blatant double standards of Smite is on your mind less than Ao Kuang's build, you should probably ask yourself why the bombardment of unrealistic standards set on women aren't very important to you.
That is a good question.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » December 21, 2014 12:45pm | Report
Sub, you already posted that.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 21, 2014 1:02pm | Report
I am utterly pissed off at this guy. Do you know what he just said to me? Am I the only one on this entire forum who can see through his ********?

Zanestorm wrote:
The fact that studies exist mean nothing - it's whether or not the study is valid, meets academic standards and has a strong argument that holds to scrutiny that actually matters.
So, in other words, you're calling studies from PHDs to be worthless.

Zanestorm wrote:
I'm not trying to credit myself.

Remember this?

Zanestorm wrote:
I'm a genuine Eclectic Pagan, so I know one hell of a lot more than most people about Ancient Gods and Goddesses. I'm also an undergraduate History student that studies Modern and Ancient History, as well as some Archaeology topics [specifically Religion and Ritual.]

Shut. Your. Mouth.

Zanestorm wrote:
You've made an argument and asserted it as the truth, demanding action. I've undermined it, because you have no right to demand action on what boils down to an opinion. You have not proved that there is ANY link between sexualisation and sexism, let alone sexualisation in video-games causing real-world sexism.
So in other words, my sources aren't good enough. PHDs aren't good enough.

Zanestorm wrote:
Just because the sources were crafted by people with PHD'S that does not mean they are valid, as I aptly proved in my analysis of your source. You're STILL appealing to the authority of the author, rather than the content of the source.
Here's the funny part.

According to Zanestorm, I DIDN'T prove my point with studies from PHDs.

According to Zanestorm, Zanestorm DISPROVED my studies because he's that special and his analysis is so good.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

After all of his comments about bias, Zanestorm says that his opinion, with no sources, is more valid than my own actual sources.

Zanestorm wrote:
I'm the one being offensive and insulting? And we should just ignore very valid critiques of what you've said, just because you cannot find anyway to contest my points validly?

I already analysized Nurisea's comment, but very little - if any of it - was about Smite or video-game sexualisation causing real-world sexism, which is what the OP suggests is true.

I'd love to move on. Provide valid sources for your claims, or retract your claims, and we can then have a discussion on either the sources you've provided or your opinion piece if that's what you decide to call it after retracting your un-sourced claims.
So, in other words, sources with PHDs are useless.

Guys. I hate having to analyze his ******** point by point, so I'll make it real simple.

Zanestorm said my entire post was worthless because my source isn't good enough. Because PHDs aren't good enough, said the supposed student of religion and rituals.

Zanestorm called my entire post worthless, because my sources aren't valid, because PHDs aren't good enough.

I'll point this out again. If PHDs aren't good enough, what is? And who the **** are you to question PHDs? Are you God?

The thing Zanestorm wants to avoid, is that I ALREADY PROVED MY POINT. ANY REASONABLE PERSON CAN SEE THAT.

And that Zanestorm CAN'T DISPROVE IT. So instead of supporting his own point, he just keeps screaming, "YOUR SOURCE IS INVALID! YOUR SOURCE IS INVALID! BIAS! BIAS!"

Why are you people even supporting him? I repeat: He says that my sources, and Nex's, and Chuilin's, are all worthless. Because even PHDs aren't good enough.

Meanwhile, he sits back and says that he doesn't have to prove anything, because he already proved that my sources are worthless. Because he's so smart and gay and talented and a genuine pagan.

Dacoqrs. Be honest, here. Be honest and ****ing say that I'm better than him. I want you to ****ing say it.

I'm tired of this guy's ********, I'm tired of all the HATE SUB YOU TOXIC **** YOU ********, I'm tired of how none of my haters complained about Zanestorm's insults or said it was out of line like they do to me, I'm tired of how Dacoqrs ****ing said I was just like him only with more insults, and I'm ****ing tired of Zanestorm being on this ****ing thread and repeating the same ******** over and over and how no one else can see through it, or even tries.

I'm am so ****ing tired of this site. You know that? I'm just so tired of how I can't say one "idiot" before people call me a toxic homophobic bastard (TT got your report, *******). I'm tired of being mobbed every ****ing time I make my point. I'm tired of how any point against me gives the guy five ****ing rep! I'm tired of how no matter how calm I am, how polite I am, how thorough I am, how much I'm patient, how much I do things one step at a time, piece by piece, collecting my arguments, dissecting Zanestorm's argument...

People like Zanestorm and HolyPudding and _angrytoast and all those ****s just judge me without even reading it. I spend hours on this ****ing thread, and in the end, one idiot blathers on with pure ********, judging me, and all of my haters instantly snap on and say, GIVE THIS GUY A REP! AHAHAHAHA HE COUNTERED AND DESTROYED AND RUINED YOUR ARGUMENT! YOU SUCK SUB! **** YOU SUB! GO DIE IN A FIRE SUB!

AND THE WORST PART IS, THEY DON'T EVEN READ ZANESTORM'S POST! They either hate me so much that they say he destroyed my argument without even ****ing reading it, or they honestly think his mound of **** destroyed by argument.

I'm ****ing tired! **** you! I have the right to say it, too! **** you all! **** you all who just blindly hate me, or are too intimidated to prideful to say how Zane's spewing ****!

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheGenocideLord » December 21, 2014 1:10pm | Report
Sub, while I do see what you mean, I advise you to calm down a bit before **** goes extremely downhill and mods have to lock a thread that can serve for good discussion.
What my yearbook quote should be: "Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Ytrrium Oxygen Uranium Bismuth Technetium Einsteinium"

TheGenocideLord

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » December 21, 2014 1:15pm | Report
Say you're better than him?

Better? Is this what this is all about?

Sub, this argument has gone from a talk about sexualization in Smite to a **** measuring contest.

You both have your points, and you both have your downfalls. Can't you let it at that, both of you?

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 21, 2014 1:24pm | Report
dacoqrs wrote:

Say you're better than him?

Better? Is this what this is all about?

Sub, this argument has gone from a talk about sexualization in Smite to a **** measuring contest.

You both have your points, and you both have your downfalls. Can't you let it at that, both of you?

**** measuring contest.

I don't think you understand anything.

ZANESTORM TURNED IT INTO A **** MEASURING CONTEST. HE IS THE ONE WHO KEEPS SCREAMING ABOUT HOW IM NOT GOOD ENOUGH! HOW MY SOURCES ARENT GOOD ENOUGH! HOW HIS SOURCES AND HIS CREDIBILITY IS SO MUCH BETTER!

And now, you want me to back off? You want us to agree to disagree? That Zanestorm can just scream and rant and talk about how he's so good, while I try to actually prove my point, and I have to just give up? Act like it's the same?

No. No. No. NO. NO! NO! NO!

I want you to stop sitting on the ******** fence and pretend to be some neutral arbiter. Are you honestly saying that I'm the same as him, or better?

Yeah, I have my problems. I have downfalls, or whatever. And so does Zanestorm.

But that doesn't mean that I'm not better than him. Or else everyone would be the same. Hitler has his good points. He was kind to his secretaries. Ghandi was probably a **** to someone once in his life.

Yes, this is about better. Yes, this is a **** measuring contest. I never wanted it to be, but that's what it is now, because discussion is impossible right now. As long as Zanestorm and I are stalemated into him complaining that I have no sources and me pointing out that I do have sources, this thread, and all threads like it, will die.

I want you to end this madness. I want you to just go and say that I'm better, that I've proved my facts better, that I have the better argument and that I'm a better debater and that Zanestorm's argumenta suck.

Because the world is mostly in greys, but some shades of grey have sharper contrasts to others. And I refuse to be put in the same ****ing color group as Zanestorm, when he turned it into a battle of contrasts in the first place.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » December 21, 2014 1:30pm | Report
I refuse to say that either one of you are better, because that would encourage more **** measuring contests, which are unacceptable.

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 21, 2014 1:40pm | Report
No one's better than anyone, we're all members of the site. Please be respectful of fellow members. That goes for everyone - I'm not criticizing any one member here, but all as a whole. This is one of those Smite topics that end up very divisive; people either think it's sexualized or it's not, and that's ok. But don't get too toxic over it.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » December 21, 2014 1:41pm | Report
Thanks Raventhor.

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » December 21, 2014 1:50pm | Report
okay, i have barely kept up with this thread for the last few pages.

zanestorm. if studies are shown to you and you write them off for the possiblity that they are wrong that you can litterly never be argued with, if others have provided multiple sources that all end up coming to the same coclusion that should be taken as evidence.

if you dont come with your own that you have very simply lost the arguement.

if that is how that entire feud went then that is how it should end. (IF)

sub, do you remember what you told me a few days ago? please try to keep your self to that as well.

a **** messuring contest can be stopped by a judge or the masses who say it has to stop, one would end it, the second would leave it unsolved but would move on, here is the thing, that unsolved thing is going to try to bite multiple people in the *** when they walk away from it.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }