Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Titan's Bane VS all other pen items.. am I missing something?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Titan's Bane VS all other pen items.. am I missing something? 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BoBoSlap » September 23, 2014 10:47am | Report
Alright, so I have a question when it comes to penetration. From what I understand, you start with 0 pen.

If you get pen boots, that's 15 pen.

So, according to the passive of Titan's Bane, wouldn't it ONLY give you 4.95 more pen? (15 * 33% = 4.95) So, you only have 19.95 penetration in your attacks?

Alright, lets go though having more pen items.

Boots(15) + Asi(15) + Titan's Bane
30 pen + (30*33%) = 39.9 (9.9 pen bonus from Titan's Bane)

I would STILL rather get something like Jotunn's Wrath. More pen, more physical power, AND CD

3 pen items

Boots(15) + Asi(15) + Jotunn's Wrath(11) + Titan's Bane

41 pen + (41*33%) = 54.53 (13.53 pen bonus from Titan's Bane
)

3 pen items(With Brawler's Beat Stick instead of Jotunn's)

Boots(15) + Asi(15) + + Brawler's Beat Stick(20) + Titan's Bane
That's 50 pen, which is max

50 + (50*33%) = 66.5 (16.5 pen bonus from Titan's Bane)

Don't get me wrong, I still believe Titan's Bane is a good item for going over the cap for penetration, but it would take a minimum of 3 penetration items to even be able to get the most out of Titan's Bane.

So, with these things in mind, why does everyone say that Titan's Bane is such a necessity on ALL physical gods if they want to get great pen, even though their build only has one pen item, and even sometimes, no pen items at all. They just include Titan's Bane for its 33 % bonus pen to attacks.

I feel as though my math is correct. and it states that every single other penetration item in the game is better than it till you get max pen. that is the one and only place it shines. Giving more pen than the cap. So, back to my questions.

Am I missing something in the game mechanics?
Also, why do people insist that Titan's Bane is so great when they either have no penetration items at all, or even if they only have boots?

The reason I ask this is, I see it in league play a lot, and on a lot of prevalent Twitch streamers. A lot of these people doing it are good players, but the math just doesn't add up to support their statement. In my opinion, it is a waste of an item slot if the only pen you plan on getting is boots...

BoBoSlap

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » September 23, 2014 12:07pm | Report
Um... I think you need to re-read Titan's Bane's description again. Press on that link by the name.

The item's penetration isn't based on the penetration you already have. Titan's Bane basically ignores 33% of your enemy's physical defense. That's huge. You've never noticed the difference between your damage before and after getting the item on a tank or warrior? It's quite different.

If an enemy has 300 physical protections:

Warrior Tabi + Jotunn's Wrath + Brawler's Beat Stick will have you hitting them while they have 254 physical protection.

While with just Titan's Bane, you'll be hitting them as if they had only 210 physical protection.

Big difference right? Then factor on additional pen items you'd get on top of that. Also pen is for abilities and basic attacks.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » September 23, 2014 12:54pm | Report
The Executioner is a superior item to Titan's Bane in every way.

You do not need penetration to hit squishy targets. Therefore, the only thing you need it for is taking down bruisers and tanks. And you shouldn't ever be targeting tanks as an assassin or ADC or anything.

And for bruisers - gods who get only one dedicated tank item, if any - are perfect targets for The Executioner, which is honestly ridiculously efficient since its buff.

Yes, TB hits with abilities - but you never get TB in the laning phase where ADCs and Assassins primarily use their abilities to deal damage. Late game, almost all damage is dealt with autos.

Best/Worst of all, thanks to the ****ty itemization in this game, tanks are so ridiculously squishy and behind on gold that they never get more than one tank item by the time you get a full build. They, too, are perfect targets.

In addition, the reduction is better than flat penetration thanks to the tons of physical gods in the meta right now.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » September 23, 2014 3:51pm | Report
https://www.smitefire.com/smite/forum/theory-crafting/penetration-1355

Hope that helps you out (even though it is from the stone age) :P

Do not underestimate Titan's Bane, it is OP vs towers and it is baller in combination with Executioner even vs squishy targets. But it is a late game item for sure (90% of the time your last item).
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » September 23, 2014 4:20pm | Report
I wouldn't say Executioner is superior in EVERY way. That's just...nah.

Many assassins use Titan's bane better than executioner's, and most bruisers can use it as a final item to make sure they're still pulling damage with their spells, since no warrior in the game is a true auto attacker, every single one is a caster. The % penetration is enough to make your abilities do a ton of damage without requiring setup, and that's decent.

It's the same reason why burst mages take Shard over Spear. If they don't have a way of stacking up the debuff they're missing out on a ton of possible damage on their first abilities. In the same vein, if a god doesn't have a way of auto attacking before a combo (Tyr heavily comes to mind, he NEEDS that blink-fearless-power-cleave-etc etc. He can't auto attack before that) then Titan's Bane is a beautiful item.

Yes, I agree, Executioner, provided you are auto attacking first, will net you overall more penetration than titan's bane, averaged across all enemies. But setup isn't always pristine.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BoBoSlap » September 23, 2014 6:33pm | Report
Oh, That's how it works? When I read it it just sounds like it gives you 33% bonus penetration to your attacks. I think it should be reworded so it states that it ignored 33% of armor. Thanks for the enlightenment. The way that was worded doesn't at all make me think that -_-.

BoBoSlap

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » September 23, 2014 8:09pm | Report
I think the wording is fine. It is a bonus penetration since it's not number based. The percentage isn't based off of your own percentage, just off of the enemy's physical protection :3.

Here's a helpful link that I've had as a bookmark for a while: Smite Mechanics Guide

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by festive1 » September 24, 2014 1:56am | Report
Greenevers wrote:

Here's a helpful link that I've had as a bookmark for a while: Smite Mechanics Guide

Thanks for this link, it has educated me on many things, and I feel much wiser. :)
You can check out my cool Ymir guide by clicking here
Thanks Lprats for making an awesome Ymir drawing :)
If you want to look at my old signature click by clicking here
PM Me if you want me to try to make signature for you

festive1

Memorable (14)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 24, 2014 11:32am | Report
Titan's Bane is the Obsidian Shard for physicals

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » September 24, 2014 12:33pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

Titan's Bane is the Obsidian Shard for physicals
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }