Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Balancing Discussion: The Real Deal

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Balancing Discussion: The Real Deal 384 posts - page 7 of 39
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » August 3, 2014 4:12pm | Report
For Ares, maybe some kind of enrage mechanic, a special taunt where you can still cast, but can only move toward the enrager. Maybe give this a 2 sec CC as an wide AoE, or a scaling CC (maxing out at 2.5 seconds, since it's weaker than a taunt and such) on a basic ability.

That's pretty much my last idea. I think we should move on.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kalafalafakah » August 3, 2014 6:12pm | Report
Jordenito wrote:

Changing him into a Warrior will basically mean nothing. You'd just rename his category and change his damage type. He would still have zero wave clear. He would still be absurdly ability reliant. His ultimate would still be a "beads or die!", stale and ineffective ultimate when playing against players with more than 10 games played in total. He would still have no actual peel to defend his allies.

All Ares does is damage. He can deal damage and soak up damage. That's it. As a Guardian, he just doesn't ft the role. As a Warrior? There would be other Warriors outclassing him.

Current Ares is just broken. His entire idea and his kit don't make sense, either for a Guardian, for a Mage, or for a Warrior if he were to be physical.

I see your point and it is valid, but I still think you could easily fix the problem and keep people happy who like his current kit by switching him to a warrior and making more minor adjustments. And here are some points to help this claim.

1. You state that he is only good for both dealing damage and soaking up damage. This is not entirely true. If played by someone who has played more than ten games in total he can also be used for quite a bit more. He forces the opposition to buy beads and use them up on his ult or keep any ability that gives them cc immunity unused until he ults (this is rather minor though). He can also act as a handy buff and debuff tool when you consider his passive into the whole mix. If the enemy team has a Hercules, Aphrodite, Hel, or other miscellaneous healing pain in your rear then WABAM! pick up Pestilence. Sure any god can do this, but is it also going to improve their overall damage? No. No it isn't. If there are multiple phys attackers pick up Sovereignty or Mystical Mail and you get the handy bonus to you and your allies, or the debuff to your enemies, and a cool bit of power to lay down the smackdown. What I am trying to get at here is that Ares is able to pick up these items that can really help your allies or hinder your enemies and still keep a relevant amount of damage unlike many other gods. You are able to make him as resilient as ***bahakarna, Geb, or Ymir while dealing damage as well as someone like Odin or Hercules. (Also on a side note isn't a bruiser's job just to deal and soak up damage? The peel part you mentioned doesn't really apply here. I mean Odin (his two or his ult which one could simply purchase combat blink to bypass. much like beads to Ares ult), and Osiris (his three) hold about the same level of peel as him. The only problem concerning the move to a bruiser role is his wave clear so that he could hold the solo lane)

2. What you do to fix his waveclear is provide a slight buff to his searing flesh ability and debuff his shackles a bit (their damage is a bit ridiculous) That's pretty simple. Just some number changes or addition of a line in the skill description that says does x damage concerning minions while the line above it refers to gods.

3. I don't see the problem with his ability reliance. Sure he uses his abilities a lot but some gods are simply ability based. This seems a rather moot point to me. Hun Batz is focused on his abilities chained to his passive, Fenrir is ability reliant, Guan Yu loves his Taolu Assault, Tyr is all about Fearless, Sobek relies on Charge Prey, et cetera et cetera. Abilities are there for a reason. A god who uses them a lot should be built to use them a lot.

Also who does magical damage with a sword anyway? I mean really.

^This^ was a joke (and also sort of a reference). I had previously thought of the fact that other guardians attack with non magical seeming items or whatnot. It is just a joke and it is even featured in the game. On Geb's transformer skin one of his directed taunts is " (odd noises) Error 201 you do magical damage with a sword" So yeah, it was just a fun little reference.

Sorry for the large text walls and whatnot. Also sorry for this being a bit late of a reply I had some internet issues.

Kalafalafakah

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » August 3, 2014 11:26pm | Report
1: Pretty much every Guardian god in the game forces you to buy beads. Because you don't wanna be taunted by Athena for 2 whole seconds or being pulled towards hades for 4s, or be feared by Hun Batz or eaten by Fenrir, or be pushed by Tyr or be stuck for in place 3.5s in place by Artemis...

Like you said, every other Guardian can be a buffer / debuffer. Just 'cause Ares gets 30 additional magical power from aura items doesn't make him a good buffer / debuffer. Pretty much all supports get Sovereignty. And they also get Pestilence when there are healers on the enemy team. Oh, so Ares gets 60 additional magical power out of that! Woo-freaking-hoo.

Odin, Osiris and Hercules all have better peel than Ares. Odin's ring can trap enemies, and isn't so easily countered. If you activate it after the enemy has used their leap/jump, they won't be able to get out. And Combat blink isn't such a good counter, and believe me, not many buy Combat Blink aside from Mages. Also, a 50% slow for 2s is a great peel. Osiirs as well - his slow is ridiculous. Ever tried aggressing onto someone while moving for 50% movement speed for 4 seconds? or chasing them? And Hercules has better peel than all of them and can mitigate a whole lot of damage and soak up a lot. All of the above can deal damage, soak up damage, but also peel. Ares? He can't do all of that.

2: This just feel forced. If you want to make him an actual Warrior, than you would have to change both his ultimate and Bolster Defenses, because they are both Guardian-like abilities. His ult just doesn't fit a Warrior, and his 2 is also somewhat out of place if he were to be a Warrior. So that also forces a rework. So... what did we achieve here?

3: There isn't a problem with ability reliance. There is a problem with him being so ability reliance on the ability that is his damage, CC and semi-peel (it is a peel, and a bad one, but it is still somewhat a peel. somewhat). So, once you missed your Shackles, what do you do? Even Sobek can Tail Whip in the middle of the team fight. Guan can heal and slow. And what about Ares? he can deal pathetic damage with Searing Flesh and maybe ult, but it's so easily countered that it's not even worth having.

DucksRock wrote:
Let start the hades discussion.
Hades needs to be more supportive of his team then now, Cause i haven't seen any dumb adc that is dumb enough to risk himself and expose himself to cc and damage from the tank and adc when he's out of health just to get a heal, So that isn't a lifesaver.
And his passive actually is kinda sound like a mage's passive, But if he will gain the right moveset it can work.
I think he should still have a heal, But a unique one that is easier to lane then his original one.
I think he should also have a taunt, But suited a little bit more to help allies.
He should also have slow and waveclear (Not completlley strong to kill all minions, Kinda like Ymir's Glacial Strike) in one of his new abilities.
Still havent decided about his ult yet.

When we move on to the next god, you will know. Just let me run this thread. If we are still on Ares, we are still on Ares. When we'll move to hades, you'll notice that, believe me. Just check out the previous pages where we finished Arachne and moved to Ares (I believe it's page 2). And that's how you know we moved to the next subject.

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » August 3, 2014 11:29pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:
For Ares, maybe some kind of enrage mechanic, a special taunt where you can still cast, but can only move toward the enrager. Maybe give this a 2 sec CC as an wide AoE, or a scaling CC (maxing out at 2.5 seconds, since it's weaker than a taunt and such) on a basic ability.

That's pretty much my last idea. I think we should move on.

I don't really understand. Could you explain a little bit more? who can still move toward the enrager? who is the enrager?

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DucksRock » August 4, 2014 12:02am | Report
Jordenito wrote:

I don't really understand. Could you explain a little bit more? who can still move toward the enrager? who is the enrager?

Maybe he should have like a natural blink in his ult with the taunt?
And i think he's talking about the one that should start the attack.
Also he could have something to do with some soldiers cause it suites his lore, Maybe in a way that he can use them for support?
Hi!

I'm DucksRock, But you can call me Ducks.

Kuzenbo rights advocate, guide-making delayer and passionate pop music fan.

Kuzenbo guide coming soon.

DucksRock

Prominent (41)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » August 4, 2014 2:51am | Report
Enrage is basically taunt (aka force them to move toward you and basic attack) only less restricted. You aren't forced to move or attack, but you can only basic attack and cast abilities and move toward the guy who used the CC effect.

So every skillshot or ability has to be targeting the person who enraged you. Technically, you don't have to do anything, or even move - but you can't attack anyone else, you can't aim toward anyone else, and you can't move sideways or backward.

The engrager (the god with this hypothetical CC) is Ares. Target is enemy gods.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Mordo » August 4, 2014 4:25am | Report
lol it would be funny if you could put the enrage on others like geb shield, ao is going to Ult? enrage it so he aims at someone else = full troll mode

Mordo

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » August 4, 2014 4:43am | Report
Would you want the Enrage to be his ult or a basic ability which would be his core and peel?

My Guides

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » August 4, 2014 5:13am | Report
Dunno. It could work for both. But a giant AoE engage ult sounds perfect for a tank.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » August 4, 2014 12:53pm | Report
I'll give it a go, tell me what you think.

Ultimate: Warmonger / Enrage
Ares enrages, throws shackles around himself, hitting all enemies in the radius and binding them to him. Enemies hit will not be able to attack and cast abilities on a target other than Ares, and will not be able to move other than towards Ares. At the end of the duration, all enemies take damage. If the effect is interrupted, the damage is dealt when it's interrupted.

Radius: 30
Enrage Duration: 2s
Damage: 200/250/300/350/400 (+70% of your magical power)
Cooldown: 90s

The name is with a slash line because I don't know which name fits better. Of course, if we are going with Warmonger, the description is going to change a little bit.

My Guides

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }