Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Going from Beginner to Decent to Competitive guides

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Going from Beginner to Decent to Competitive guides 6 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SilverMemories » September 1, 2013 10:16pm | Report
Hello this is the first time I've posted on the forums here. I've been playing smite for a while now but I was wondering if there is a guide that talked about mechanics of smite along with tips and ideas on how to improve ones play styles. For example, I could write a guide to help beginners learn how to tell what scopes are good with which guns and how to tell, what to look for while playing, and what makes each part of a kit useful at a time for BF3. Thing is I'm new to moba's mainly so I don't understand a few things and was hoping there was something I could read to learn.

I know what the different type of heroes (gods) are like Assassin, Bruiser, Support, etc, etc, but how do you tell what lane they should go to? How do you know who is a good jungler? How do you know which items are for who and who should use them (besides the obvious phy shouldn't use magic items)? What are some of the underlying mechanics of smite? how to tell which god is up to par in competitive standards? When to get different consumables? How to tell which actives are good for each god? Which order items should be bought once you know which ones to buy or which items are better against which gods?

I'm sure a lot of those questions might seem a bit obvious but to someone thats new to playing SMITE like me, they are legit questions and any help would be greatly appreciated!
It was never about where we begin or ended at. It was always the time between that makes us who we are.

SilverMemories

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » September 1, 2013 10:29pm | Report
I'm actually on my way making that guide. Maybe will be finished in one week or so (except for competitive, i don't play it)

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BloodravenD » September 1, 2013 11:52pm | Report
This is kinda stuff you will learn as you play Smite, at least from what I can tell. You can always look up build/guides on here for specific gods, but you have to take into account who're you up against. You wouldn't wanna stack magical prot on a Ymir against a Loki or other phys god. Generally it's a good idea to follow the recommended items when starting out, then experimenting on other items to buy. Usually for a start you wanna pick up your 800 starting item, don't know the names at the moment, followed by first set of your boots, and maybe some health/mana pots, depending on if you think they're worth it.

As for lanes, usually you want a mage of some sort in middle, by themselves, with carries on one of the outside lanes, preferrably with a support or a tank. You can do the same on the other side, a carry and a support/tank, but if you do solo with say another mage, or good creep clearing god, then you can have your fifth person be a jungler. Usually bruisers/assassins are the junglers, but almost any god can jungle, just not all effectively. As for their conssumables, they're probably best off getting wards to help see into the jungle, I don't jungle though so I can't really say more.

Other than those basics, which are in almost any MOBA, you're better off learning by playing, even if you aren't good at it. Most people are friendly enough to help you out, so if you have a question, ask your teammates.

BloodravenD

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SilverMemories » September 2, 2013 10:38am | Report
@RazeMage - Awesome, I look forward to it.

@ Bloodraven - Yea I know it's going to take time and practice but there are some things you can learn from reading tips and things from other people. I always get starter items though I see some people not getting them and it makes me wonder if they know something I don't. Thanks for the info on the jungler though. I know that protection depends on whos on the other teams. I've been told a lot that the Nemean Lion hide is pretty good against Loki and was wondering what other protection items are good against different gods. Its usually those kinda of things that can be shared in a guide like what RazeMage is making. Hints and Tips that people new to SMITE or MOBA's in general like me wouldn't pick up with out a ton of practice. :P

Thanks for the info though and I look forward to the guide when Raze is finished!
It was never about where we begin or ended at. It was always the time between that makes us who we are.

SilverMemories

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by JararoNatsu » September 2, 2013 3:06pm | Report
All of this information, as BloodravenD said, should be learned over time. A guide can be written on it, but it won't do much because the basics are something that MUST be learned from experience.

What I suggest is that a person find a God that they like, and then from there find a guide that gives tips on playing that God. That is the best way I can think of learning the game. I honestly don't think a guide is necessary to teach the basics.

Nevertheless, Raze if you're making one go ahead and do so. It might prove to be valuable, who knows? I'll be sure to check it out upon its release.

Check out my Artemis Guide and my Ao Kuang Guide!

JararoNatsu
<Veteran>

Distinguished (51)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SilverMemories » September 3, 2013 11:48am | Report
Well how about Item stat caps...?

SilverMemories

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }