Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Tank Boots

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Tank Boots 6 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by mellojoe » January 22, 2014 9:40am | Report
I've started buying cooldown boots on Tanks lately. There's been a movement away from the standard Watchers Gift into Midas Boots. We see some tanks skip Watchers Gift and go straight to Midas boots and we see some replace Midas Boots with Reinforced Greaves. What about cooldown boots?

Hear me out:
You get the same protection you would have gotten from Midas Boots, but you actually get a bit of power. The 15% cooldown on your initiation can be a VERY good thing. Sobek's power is already well known. Adding a bit more power and a few more pulls per game seems like a very good thing. Athena's power is well known. Adding more power plus more taunts seems like a good thing. Ditto Bacchus. Ditto Ymir.

I'm not advocating switching away from Watchers + Midas if you love the gold spool that provides. But, if you were considering only one of those two items anyway, take a long look at Cooldown boots. The Arena gang already known the benefit. My Arena builds on support almost always include cooldown boots. But, I've started using them on Conquests now as well, and I'm finding that I like them.

Thoughts?

mellojoe

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » January 22, 2014 9:58am | Report
I personally like it. I wasn't even a Midas user, I was a reinforced greaves. But 10% leftover CC reduction is awkward to fill since most things have 20%, and you hit the ENTIRE CCR cap through the Magi's Blessing. The CDR is hard to come by, however, for a tank. Most tank items are 10% CDR, so getting the same protection plus a hefty amount of CDR is useful, especially since a tank without cooldowns is near useless - you're limited to bodyblocking hunter auto attacks. More CD = more CC = more utility = better teamfight.

Completely agree. CDR boots + Magi's Blessing = GG.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Grimskull » January 22, 2014 10:40am | Report
Cooldown boots give you an early game boost but Midas takes the upper hand if the game drags on further. It's best to get them if you're ahead and want to force a surrender or cripple them so they can't come back late game. If they're careful it's better to play it safe and go for Midas so you don't fall off late game.
Check out my Bacchus guide:

Check out my BB coding skills

Grimskull

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ryvvik » January 22, 2014 11:26am | Report
I use to always go with the greaves because of the extra out of combat move speed. They allowed for much quicker rotations/mid camps/etc. But people always yelled at me saying that midas boots are better and a must.

I am still torn. The extra early gold is nice...but so is the speed and protections. And after a 20 minute game, the midas boots didnt' seem to give 'THAT' much gold.

Ryvvik

Remarkable (7)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by mellojoe » January 22, 2014 1:12pm | Report
The math is quite simple. Midas Boots give an extra 5 gold per 5 seconds, or 1 gold per second.

The only trick is to determine at what point do you start getting that extra spool. Let's just say starting at the 5 minute mark, for simplicity sake.

20 minute match ( - 5 min into match) = 900 seconds or 900 additional gold
30 minute match ( - 5 min into match) = 1500 seconds or 1500 additional gold
40 minute match ( - 5 min into match) = 2100 seconds or 2100 additional gold
60 minute match ( - 5 min into match) = 3300 seconds or 3300 additional gold

So, for much longer matches, Midas Boots can be an entire item difference. For shorter matches, Midas Boots don't pan out that much for the stats you have to give up to get them. Cooldown Boots with ther power stats could be significantly better. But for longer games ... thats where Midas Boots really start to shine.

mellojoe

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ryvvik » January 23, 2014 12:56pm | Report
But heres my thought on the matter, mello, noting that I have no 'hard stats'.

At 20 minutes, 900 gold isn't all that much.
By late game 60 minute mark, the boots get sold for other boots anyway. Once you reach max items the extra gold isn't "that useful"

In other words, I think having a stronger early game is better than buying these boots and waiting for a stronger late game. Id rather have more survivability and mobility (to get those mid camps) or more power early game than an extra item on a tank late game.

After seeing you break the math down...it actually makes me hate midas boots even more ^_^

Maybe that extra gold is far more significant than I think tho? It does provide for quicker wards/hogs (since midas is cheaper than greaves now)

Ryvvik

Remarkable (7)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }