The Overarching Assault Guide (S4, Patch 4.18)

October 2, 2017 by Branmuffin17

boogiebass (6) | October 12, 2017 11:57am
I would like to bring to your attention how powerful Lotus Crown is as a first item, in this game mode, on Hel or Terra (due to their huge AoE heals). I've played a couple games with this, and it has allowed my team to be very aggressive early. +20 dual protections is A LOT early game.

I like playing these lovely ladies (I was gonna make a MILF joke about Terra, but my better judgement tells me not to) as tanky support medics. So my build for both of them would look something like:
Lotus Crown
shoes of your choice (reinforced/focus for Terra and magi/focus for Hel)
Breastplate of Valor
Rod of Asclepius (Keep your guys alive!)
Shogun's Kusari to support a good ADC or Pestilence (if no one else builds it)
Void Stone (Help an offensive mage)

Getting Lotus Crown instead of boots or BoV on Hel hurts her survival chances, so stay in the back and pop heals/use your #2 to debuff/buff enemies/allies. Lotus Crown also includes MP5, so you won't be running out of Mana too fast.
boogiebass (6) | October 12, 2017 12:06pm
I don't play Chang'e or Aphrodite, so I don't know how well this would work on them.

I haven't had the chance to play Ra in this gametype, so I can't say how well this will or won't work.

Bran, next time we play Assault together, and you get either Hel or Terra, try this out.
Gulfwulf (5) | October 15, 2017 10:02am
RNG hasn't been kind to me, but I have played a few games with Ra using the Lotus Crown and I think it makes a difference. It's especially great when an enemy team has an assassin like Loki who's gunning for you. I think I pissed one off because he only managed to kill me once or twice during a ten minute match (his team surrendered) and he died every time he got near me. I'll try this on Hel and/or Terra if I ever get either again...
Branmuffin17 (157) | October 12, 2017 1:18pm
I'll try it out. I agree it has good potential, but it all depends on what you prefer. In my case, I think I value starting with CDR for most healers, more than anything else. I guess I would consider this if there were 4+ physical gods, 3+ if they were all high damage. The MP5 isn't too bad either, and the cheap price would still allow me to get at least Sands of Time.

It's a good suggestion.
Gulfwulf (5) | September 29, 2017 5:33pm
So how would you categorize Hachiman? Is he a basic attacking hunter or an ability based one?
Branmuffin17 (157) | September 29, 2017 9:33pm
He is definitely a basic-attacking hunter. Oh...I need to update this, don't I? Good reminder, lol.
Gulfwulf (5) | September 29, 2017 10:34pm
Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if he was better built with attack speed or power/cdr.
Gulfwulf (5) | August 2, 2017 9:37am
Hey Bran, you may want to mention not re-rolling Artio or Sylvanus because they're both healing guardians unless there's already a "real" healer on the team like Hel or Aphrodite.
Branmuffin17 (157) | August 2, 2017 10:24am
Hey Gulf, good suggestion...I'll point out it's already there in the Guardian section.

Also, only one healer would be rolled...if the god qualifies as a healer, you won't see two...so you never get a Guan Yu + Sylvanus or things like that...at least as far as I've ever known.
Gulfwulf (5) | August 2, 2017 2:00pm
Huh. I've read this guide more than a few times and I refer back to it when I play assault. I guess I just skimmed over that part.
Bernardozomer (27) | August 2, 2017 10:55am
True, but Chiron, Cupid and Artio aren't considered healers, so you can see Cupid + Sylvanus or something like that.
Branmuffin17 (157) | March 20, 2017 12:38pm
F THIS GUIDE!!! UGHHHHH it's taking me foreevvvvvveerrrrr to get this updated. *sigh* Okay, rant over, back to work.
xZeroStrike (44) | March 20, 2017 12:42pm
Hah, you literally just dropped in to comment on your own guide on how it's super annoying to get it updated? Lol, serves you right for making it in the first place! Hahaha.

You know, if there's any way I can help with some stuff you just gotta ask muffinman. 'Cuz helping people... 's the thing I do most of the time, right? Right? Ye?.... K.
Bernardozomer (27) | March 20, 2017 1:30pm
It's BB-Code Time!
Time2medicate (3) | February 16, 2017 1:41pm
I found the guide. It took me a minute. I agree this mode is challenging and it's not that bad. I used to cringe when someone wanted to play assault. Last night Branmuffin choose the game and we played assault. I didn't mind playing the game but I got Nike after trying to trade with Bran which didn't work I was stuck with her. I wasn't sure how good I would do which I didn't do great but I learned alot more about Nike and now I might try her out in a regular mode. So all in all it worked out good because it opened my eyes to a new god. So overall assault is great mode and want to play it more
Branmuffin17 (157) | February 16, 2017 1:47pm
I have to update this guide for S4. I'm procrastinating, cuz it's going to suck working on it.
Yasanoo | October 1, 2016 12:16am
Rage on Serqet is unprofitable. She rarely stack it with basic attacks. Her 1 Deathbane can't stack Rage passive too. Checked
Branmuffin17 (157) | October 1, 2016 12:57am
Ahhh got it...thanks for the info. Probably suggest Malice then...concur or no?
Yasanoo | October 2, 2016 1:28am
Malice and Deathbringer are best options for her. Poisoned Star is decent option too. Wind Demon is nit bad too, but really situational, passive sometimes help escaping
xZeroStrike (44) | October 1, 2016 12:04pm
Malice probably best, combined with Deathbringer.

If you use Deathbane and your first hit is a critical, the 2 following hits will have an increased damage. If you're lucky enough those hits will also critical hit, allowing for massive damage, and increased damage on your following attack(s) after Deathbane.
Branmuffin17 (157) | April 1, 2016 3:23pm
ksvr wrote:

Just a quick note regarding Soul Reaver: I recently had an assault match where both mages and the guardian on enemy team bought Soul Reaver first item and my god they were hard to deal with. Ymir would blink in and freeze, then the 2 mages would smack you with an ability and you were just erased. For enemies who survive your initial burst, you've still got a big advantage with basically doubled mana pool so you can keep spamming abilities. It's definitely niche, but with the right team comp it's a monster.

Yikes, that sounds sort of horrifying! (Thanks for the comment by the way) I can see how an item start like that could be demoralizing to the other team. As you said, though, it's niche, and you can't really control your team comp or rolling the best gods that can do enough damage early like that. There's give and take on that, too...aggressive start on 3 gods means they're going to be squishy, without much mobility, longer CD, etc. I've never come across that myself, but I guess I'm sort of glad I didn't!

ksvr wrote:

The biggest piece of advice I'd like to give anyone wanting to learn how to play assault is this: enemy minions are a resource for your team. Almost every game I have a teammate who puts themselves into a bad position, rushing up to the edge of enemy tower radius to burn mana on an ability to clear the wave. Not only does that cost you mana and make you a prime target for a quick cc-fueled death that will likely give an assist to at least 2 enemies, but it also costs all of your teammates that waves' gold and xp.

Hmmm...I have a bit of mention on denying minion xp/gold to enemies in the tips section under lane freezing, but I don't think I have anything general on this subject. Thanks...I'll consider adding this.

ksvr wrote:

Furthermore, many gods have passives that rely on them hitting enemies. Fenrir, Cupid, Poseidon, Agni, etc all want to at least hit the minions to get their passives charged. Bakasura and Zhong Kui are a lot more useful to your team if they get to kill minions. Yet every damn time there's an Aphrodite on my team they rush up to enemy tower to lay down a strip of birds on the minion wave before it can get close to the rest of our team. And that's not even taking into consideration lifesteal items. I get that you want to get xp and gold, but letting your hunter regain a significant amount of health and letting all your teammates share in the xp and gold will really do a lot more for you.

Yup, I see this a lot too. Saw it last night, in fact, and with both me and our Hades screaming to allow Tyr to heal up a bit, or Hades when he was practically dead, our other teammates still kept clearing most of the waves. Thankfully, we still won in the end, but it was close...

ksvr wrote:

In the lategame, it seems the mentality completely changes. When our phoenix is down and the enemy has fire minions, teammates run right past them to chase kills. Meanwhile our titan is taking a significant amount of damage with no enemy gods anywhere near it.

Understanding how to utilize enemy minions to help your team is a pretty basic skill in smite, and in assault it's amplified since there's only one lane.

EDIT: Also, Hades can put out some pretty significant heals to your team if you let him 2/3 the minions. A few different gods can heal themselves significantly (especially Ratatoskr) if you let some minions get to them. Basically, if you're pushed out further than your teammates to kill minions on your own, you're doing it wrong.

I hear you, bud. Funny how that goes. Thanks for this too, and I'll see about adding further info on minions.
Bullfrog323 (27) | April 1, 2016 7:15am
Branmuffin17 wrote:
Though I guess, in the general scheme, if you don't go below 50% health, it is semi-permanent. Just weird choice there...

This has nothing to do with the fact that stack could be lost or not.
In Assault, stacking items have always been banned.
The only exceptions were after patches which changed and item to include stacks.

Heartseeker and Doom Orb both changed multiple times between a stacking item or not.
There was a period where these 2 items were stacking from kills and assist (like Hide of the Urchin) up to 10 stacks, losing half upon death.
During that time, these 2 items were available in Assault, as they did not require stacking from killing minions.

Then, Doom Orb changed back to standard stacking items, up to 50 stacks.
For about 1 month, Doom Orb was available in Assault, but it was not intended and they fixed it.
During that month, Doom Orb was the best item to use for a mage because of that.

Also, they changed Heartseeker to build "stacks" up to 5, but stacking from basic attack hit and not killing minions.
Therefore, Heartseeker is still available in Assault, and will remain as long as this item is not changed again.

So, basically, the rule to ban an item is that it must not rely on killing minions.
I read somewhere (I don't know where) that HiRez created that rule to prevent a player getting all the extra farming just because he has a stacking item.
Assault being the casualest mode among the casual modes, they wanted to avoid last hitting competition between the members of the same team.

In my opinion, they should have allowed stacking items in Assault.
Because many gods have a core item that is a stacking item.
Because Transcendence and Book of Thoth would be incredibly useful in this mode with their large mana pool, therefore allowing us to take other relic than Meditation.
Because physical lifesteal (a very useful stat in Assault) now only has 2 options to choose from.

If they wanted to remove the last hitting competition, they could have changed Watcher's Gift a bit, and add that an ally last hitting also counts for you, for stacking purpose.
ksvr | March 31, 2016 10:45pm

SpectralTangent | March 17, 2016 12:24pm
I agree, definitely weird. And also pretty sad because it removes a lot of options and versatility for physical lifesteal...
Branmuffin17 (157) | March 17, 2016 11:52am
Yasanoo sent me a PM telling me the same thing, Spec! WTF? This makes no sense. I understand it's got more stacking to it, but it can all get consumed, so it's not like it's permanent stacking aka Devourer's Gauntlet!

Got it, thank you, will adjust.
SpectralTangent | March 17, 2016 7:11am
This guide is outstanding. The only thing is, either I'm crazy or Soul Eater isn't available anymore because they changed it to a stacking item in season 3. I might be missing something but I don't think I've seen it available. Still, +1 from me for sure!