New Guide

Techno's Grammartastic Grammar Gathering

August 11, 2017 by Technotoad64

Wayne3100 (27) | August 12, 2017 11:27am
A guide about grammar is never going to be complete without an explanation of the difference between it's and its. In fact, while you're at it, do me a favour and send that explanation to whoever makes the patch notes posts for SMITE, because they clearly don't know the difference (as a bonus, here is another example in which the same author seemed to forget how the rule works mid-sentence).

Thanks in advance.
Branmuffin17 (142) | August 12, 2017 11:45am
SERIOUS!!! LOL...they always have so many errors in their notes...you'd think they'd at least do a verification edit before the notes are released.
ThePerfectPrism (46) | August 12, 2017 12:31pm
I mean, when I'm writing my stories I just type 'em all out and RARELY read anything again, cuz then I'll want to change everything and it won't make sense with the following paragraph or something alike.

Also, I can't blame HiRez cuz look at my grammar mistakes lol

Need to get back into english classes
Tlaloc1050 (3) | August 12, 2017 9:12am
"I like to eat milk, orange juice and biscuits."
overld1 (15) | August 11, 2017 8:24pm
OMG! You actually made a guide about grammar. It was a joke back in the day now the joke has alive.
Technotoad64 (40) | August 12, 2017 8:22am
overld1 wrote:
It was a joke back in the day now the joke has alive.

*day, but now
*joke has come alive OR *joke is alive
overld1 (15) | August 12, 2017 8:31am
*facepalm*
GameGeekFan (50) | August 11, 2017 8:05pm
The new title for this guide should be "Read This Instead of Me Correcting You Every ****ing Time".
Bernardozomer (25) | August 12, 2017 5:59am
You know how much time it took to convince Techno to put "Grammartastic" in the title?
Branmuffin17 (142) | August 11, 2017 8:14pm
Techno, I'll let you do the honors with this one.
boogiebass (1) | August 11, 2017 6:46pm
Some people have way too much time on their hands.
boogiebass (1) | August 11, 2017 6:48pm
Oops sorry autocorrect. I meant to say *Nice guide bro; +1 from me.
Bernardozomer (25) | August 11, 2017 7:17pm
Liar, the vote count didn't increase!
Lopix69 (1) | August 11, 2017 11:15am
**** school, this is how you learn english.
Branmuffin17 (142) | August 11, 2017 10:19am
The following comments could be grammatical preference, but...
  • (not a grammar issue) after "educative," you pressed enter, so professional is on a separate line, and it bothers me. Fix it now, Techno.

• "Grammatical correctness, believe it or not, plays a large role in how your audience perceives you." Feel this gets your point across more than just the noun "grammar."

• I'll assume you're going to add to this absolutely hilarious guide, but you say "This guide features grammar or spelling rules..." Wouldn't this mean you'll only have one or the other? Since you have a section on proper use of grammar when joining phrases, etc., would your statement thus imply you've now chosen grammar and not spelling? Perhaps, then, you should change "or" to "and."

• "...frequently-made..."

• "Have you ever had a dream that you..." WTF LOL! That is horrifically amazing.

• In "Coordinating Conjunctions," 2nd paragraph, "use a comma in-between" or "use a comma between..." Also, might suggest splitting that sentence in two.

• I didn't know about the Oxford comma. Interesting, and good to confirm the last comma in a grouping is optional. I flip back and forth, myself.

• Keep it coming. #grammaticallycorrectguidewritersunite
Technotoad64 (40) | August 11, 2017 1:11pm
  • I blame SF's interface for the accidental line break.
  • Okay, I'll change it.
  • Okay, I'll change it.
  • I have no idea how I forgot the "adverbs ending in ly are not hyphenated" rule, but the irony is painful.
  • Thank you!
  • I'm not sure about that one, but I'll change it anyway.
  • Personally, I like to use the Oxford comma every time. (Maybe I should do a poll.)
  • Will do, Bran!
Branmuffin17 (142) | August 11, 2017 1:23pm
Actually, I didn't know about the "ly" rule...I was proposing the change to add the hyphen...you didn't have it in there, so in this case, you would be correct.

That said...I'm not as technical as you with regard to grammarstuff...and to me, I think hyphens absolutely work in some cases. Let me expound.

Here's your original sentence:

Every time I find a frequently made mistake, I will add the rule being broken here, and an explanation of how it works.

And here's how I feel it absolutely makes it better...

Every time I find a frequently-made mistake, I will add the rule being broken here, and an explanation of how it works.

Here's the separate case where I WOULDN'T add the hyphen:

Every time I see a mistake that is frequently made, I will add the rule being broken here, and an explanation of how it works.

See what I mean? Or no. If you don't agree, you don't agree, but hopefully you get my point. I understand the "ly" concept with the statement that it's sufficient to tie the two words together, but I feel the hyphen emphasizes it well.
Bernardozomer (25) | August 11, 2017 10:29am

GRAMMAR WAR!

Technotoad64 (40) | August 11, 2017 1:12pm
Bernardozomer (25) | August 11, 2017 9:35am
TGGG savd mah live now I speak englush fluently, thanks tecno