PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES!!! Athena Support For Dummies (Updated for 5.9)

May 27, 2018 by IceColdPappsi

IceColdPappsi (12) | May 6, 2018 11:26pm
Updated.
IceColdPappsi (12) | February 17, 2018 9:53pm
Done.
ThePerfectPrism (49) | February 23, 2018 10:26am
There you go

Guess you got the hint as to why I was hmmmm'ing
IceColdPappsi (12) | February 23, 2018 2:51pm
I was always gonna finish it. I thought u were hmming because ur an Athena main and I made an Athena guide and you were silently judging it.
ThePerfectPrism (49) | February 12, 2018 5:12am
Hmmmm
IceColdPappsi (12) | February 12, 2018 5:32pm
Hmmmmmmm?
ThePerfectPrism (49) | February 18, 2018 4:37pm
Hmmmmmm
IceColdPappsi (12) | February 11, 2018 4:22pm
It was a grueling weekend, but I finished the items section. I personally love how I've evolved in my knowledge of BBCoding, cuz its all so colorful. Quick question: should there be a chapter about who counters Athena? Also, lemme know what you think of the guide so far.
Branmuffin17 (196) | February 12, 2018 11:56am
Good update overall, Papps. Since I know you, I won't hold back on some things =P
  • Curious, is there rhyme or reason to your skill leveling? It is so sporadic that I think you just started moving your hand and clicking, lol.

• For Preemptive Strike, you could also mention its early help for wave clear...dash through the entire wave, build up stacks of block, and you additionally get that Reach ranged basic to deal additional damage. Do it from your side at level 3 to scare enemies back (possible Confound threat), or just run straight at them, dash through the wave from the offensive side back to your teammate for safer positioning.

• Shield Wall: One thing you might mention is that this ability's high damage makes her one of the stronger jungle-clearing guardians...she is much better suited to being able to leave teammates and roam early, especially since she can ult right back to them if she's needed. If Jungle is struggling to clear everything, this will help her own leveling.

• Speaking of the ult, you might point out (at least for new players) that Defender of Olympus is better used very early in an engagement that is far away from you. If you wait too long (4.2 seconds charge time is pretty long), your teammate might be dead, and you've used your ult to go nowhere. It's also possible (not optimal but hey you do what you need to) that you need it for escape purposes...if you're out of position, ult away to teammates as long as you can weather the beating. Higher level use of this also requires you to quickly assess the situation...if the enemy team is like...4 on 1, and no other teammates are going to be nearby to help, ulting to that teammate will likely mean the death of you AND your teammate.

Also, you say "This serves as protection, misdirection, and redirection." What exactly do you mean by the term misdirection? It's a clear indication of help arriving soon, and it's not like you can cancel out of it, so not sure how it's misdirection.

• You can force enemies to hit you with basics...I think Shield of Thorns is at least a functional situational relic option, but it's just not even mentioned...and works great combined with Hide of the Nemean Lion especially against crit. If nothing else it can force out beads.

• I have a different opinion on Jade Emperor's Crown. To me, it's an offensive early physical protection version of Sovereignty. Sov's passive benefit means you're best side-by-side with your ADC, sticking close to them and helping peel when necessary. With Jade, your aura doesn't do anything directly for your ADC...the aura affects enemies. This means the focus is shifted offensively, at least for your positioning. As such, it's a good option even against 3 phys/2 magical (you say best only against 4 or 5 phys, which should never happen unless playing against trolls or newer players...or using SMITE Roulette lol)...in this case, if they have a weak early game, and your ADC is strong early...and especially if they aren't watching the jungle and the jungler can sneak for a gank, then your initiation will help you come out with more health to possibly continue an assault into the jungle or other lanes. As an alternative situation, if they have a stronger early game, this item can possibly balance things to a point where you can make it a more even fight, if you're willing to be aggressive and can out-strategize them.

• Not sure what you mean by Hide of the Nemean Lion helping on 1 v 1s where cooldowns are long. It's damage reflection...mind explaining how long enemy CDs make this more functional?

• FYI for S5 they've changed magical protections for mages. So all gods typically will have as much as 48 inherent magical protection at level 20. (you discussed and said 30-40 in the Void Stone section) A more important thing you didn't mention about Void is that the protection reduction helps magical TEAMMATES also deal more damage.

• Moonflower Dance does 130 healing + 30% scaling at max level. Realistically, you might see a full Chang'e heal do a bit under 300 to a single target..You said it can reduce her heals by a hundred or two. Definitely not "or two," unless you're talking about her heals combined on multiple targets. Just pointing this out for accuracy's sake.

• Another pretty big exaggeration I'll point out is from Stone of Binding where you say your ADCs auto damage will "like, double." That's a huge overstatement. 10 pen early in the game might net your ADC maybe 15-20% more damage...but not double.

• You can force enemies to attack you, but you don't even have Midgardian Mail in your list of items =( Paired with Witchblade it's got incredible function.

• I know you throw them in there to provide options, and options are good, but I don't know if I'd even suggest Chronos' Pendant ever for her, except when trolling or just flat out demolishing the enemy team and you don't need to worry about anything. She's got many other items containing CDR that are usually going to be much higher priority that I just would never be able to fit this into my kit.

• Your example build looks funny. I'd personally suggest throwing that Urchin last, even if that's what your item list will look like late-game (since you'll replace the blessing). The way you show it, it's like you get Urchin first. Also...that's the 1 example build you want to provide for people to see? Strong utility Athena with absolutely 0 counter-type items?
IceColdPappsi (12) | February 12, 2018 5:30pm
Holy f**k, you tore me a new one. Lemme just redo the whole f***ing thing then, huh? Nah jk, I definetly get what you're saying. Let's go down the list.
  • My leveling changed to better fit your first suggestion of leveling the 3 three times by level 6. I personally prioritize the taunt, but as per your words, do the three and two for the clear and safer options. After that, I level them up evenly, maxing taunt before my dash.
  • I have actually noticed some enemy Athenas level dash first, and do this exact thing to my wave, and my duo feeds, so it's effective. Will add.
  • Will do, great note.
  • I forgot to point out the bad in this ability, especially with the 4.2 second charge up. Prob add in the Important to Know part. Rethinking the misdirection part, i might just delete that... lol im dumb
  • Thanks for the note. Will add, but suggest one more relic so it's an even number and it fits well. Yes it's that serious.
  • As you know, I am aggressive, and look for fights even at level 1 (im trash, be quiet), so this item in my eyes can affect those teamfights where the enemy solo or jungle has just been tearing through everyone, at least they do less damage. It can also affect the adc because basic attack damage scales off ability damage. As for the 4 or 5 phys comp, I said that as to state this is a niche item. As you compared it to Sov, that can be used in almost every build, as this is situational, such as in a jank or troll comp.
  • Sorry, I was still in my Bellona mentality of using this item in 1v1s. For the cooldowns note, when all your cds are down, all ur reduced too is bashing them with your basics, which is why i said, but thats a throwaway statement.
  • They did? That would make Void Stone less effective in late game, but still good to help your teammates. However, I already have this noted in there.
  • Wow, only 30% scaling? So yeah, or two does sound a bit farfecthed. Will edit.
  • Another exaggeration, will change.
  • Forgot this item, will add.
  • Do I erase this item? I feel it can help if you don't have any CDR in your build.
  • Yeah, my example build is wack, but thats how it shows up. Guardian's Blessing into Gauntlet of Thebes, follow up until Mystical Mail and sell starter for Urchin. Will order accordingly. That's just my standard build, it fluctuates every match or so.

No really tho, you just went in on me. Where do you even find the time to write these?

EDITED NOTE!!! Will publish changes when done with counters part and conclusion.
xZeroStrike (46) | February 12, 2018 4:45am
Those tables are thicc my dude. Definitely improved.
As for a counters chapter, yes. In case of a support, this is probably one of the most important things to know, as you'll have to outsmart the enemy a lot (you're the frontline).
IceColdPappsi (12) | February 12, 2018 5:31pm
Thanks my dude, learned from the best :)
Will do counter section. Should it be like, who counters Athena and who does Athena Counter? Should it be all gods, or just limited to supports? Should unconventional supports be included?
IceColdPappsi (12) | February 2, 2018 7:21pm
My contest guide. Been loving Athena lately, my tryhard go-to for sure, especially in ranked. Think she'll be my first diamond guardian, if I apply myself
Branmuffin17 (196) | February 2, 2018 7:39pm
She's likely to be a top ban for s5... Make sure you've got a good backup Support or two.
IceColdPappsi (12) | February 2, 2018 9:03pm
Always have like two or three backups/pockets. My legendaries are khep and bacchus, with ymir at 4, geb at 2, terra and faf at 1, and hope to play more ganesha in the future.