Optimized Discordia Build 4.22 [Updated]

November 29, 2017 by Rvynn

Gulfwulf (5) | December 13, 2017 10:35am
I'm curious as to why you pick up Hide of the Urchin so late. For another 450 gold, you could go with Mantle of Discord instead. With Hide's nerfs, I don't think it's really worth bothering with it as a final item unless you can somehow max out its protections via kills and assists. Sure extra health and mana are nice, but do they really make that much of a difference towards end-game? I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know. :)
boogiebass (7) | December 13, 2017 5:41pm
IMO, hide shouldn't be built any later than 4th.
Gulfwulf (5) | December 14, 2017 12:44am
That's my thought as well, Boogie, which is why I asked. I don't think the Hide is worth rushing, but you might not be able to fully stack its passive if you buy it last or next to last.
Branmuffin17 (167) | December 12, 2017 12:37am
Starting a new comment thread. Hope you don't mind so many comments on your guide. Also, based on the success I've had in a short period of time, I'm giving this an upvote, though I want to try out alt builds to see with a larger sample size how it performs in comparison...always interested in getting the most out of a build style.

One more game. Relatively even teams, in acct level and SmiteGuru's Elo scoring system...enemy team had only 1 tank, which helped on the lower pen part of the equation. Also felt they didn't target me as much as they should have, but I was making it hard for them to get close, though Artio, Nemesis, and Cernunnos tried at times. I'm sure if I faced more hard CC I would have had more issues.

Highest damage on the team again...54k, even higher than last game. Next closest was Ullr on my team with 36k. Same standard build. I was more used to spamming her abilities, and got tons of poke. My score was much better this time...8/1/11.

It's seriously weird, I don't feel I move all that fast even with the full build, whereas with some other gods, getting a bit extra feels much faster. Maybe it's just her flying animation.

In any case, did well, but some things were in my favor, I think, including enemy team comp. Also, the Nem and Cern builds hurt my soul. Overall, I think the consistently high damage output is 50% due to the ASAP CDR max, and 50% is because it's just freaking Discordia. Will continue playing more...didn't get more than 1 game in tonight cuz wife wanted to watch a movie.
Gulfwulf (5) | December 12, 2017 10:27am
Where did those people get those builds, Smitefire? :D
Branmuffin17 (167) | December 6, 2017 10:08pm
Good overview and general information for Discordia. I do wonder about your items just a bit, along with the order.
  • You list Shoes of Focus before Sands of Time. In almost all cases, I would suggest Sands first...Conquest, Arena, whatever. It's a pretty decent source of mana sustain, and as a starter item, well, it's generally meant to be purchased first. It looks like more than 75% of your games are either in Arena or Joust, so it might be good to talk about that in your guide as a reason for getting Sands 2nd...you shouldn't do that in Conquest.

• Don't have a specific problem with Chronos' Pendant early, but you've passed up any penetration until you finally get Spear of Desolation as the 4th item (Bling build, 3rd item Maximized build). Although not the most reliable ability for poke, Unruly Magic can be pretty nice, and blasting max CDR in the first 3 items before getting any pen seems a bit less functional. (Then again, I'm still thinking about Conquest) I think you might get a bit better benefit if you got Deso first, followed by Chronos at a later point. Deso, once online, will give you close to true damage against most squishy gods that haven't built any protections, at that might get you more kills.

• I get the idea of Shaman's Ring and Telkhines Ring, especially for the move speed since she doesn't have a great escape, but both seems a bit much for MS. Honestly, I think both items, overall, are not the greatest options for her. How often will you get all 3 stacks from Telkhines Ring anyway? She doesn't have any DoT abilities...when not using the ult, she's only likely to get 1 hit from each of her 1 and 2 (sometimes stack all 3 if you get lucky with the explosion from Unruly), so you're not often getting max stacks. It's better for gods that can easily get all 3 stacks quickly from 1 ability, then follow that up with other abilities with the maxed power. I know you have "proof" of the build giving you tons of damage, but I daresay you'd still have done tons without it. If you're set on the added move speed, I think I'd choose Shaman's over Telk.

• I know you have your disclaimer on your core items, but why is Obsidian Shard not one of the options at least? Deso by itself might be fine against squishies, but against anyone else, you'll probably want the reliable pen from Obsidian. It should at least be an option when facing tankier teams.

• I do like that you've recognized some defensive items as possibilities. That said, I don't think Hide of the Urchin is best for what is typically a mage that deals damage from distance. Spirit Robe is somewhat more functional due to the CDR at least giving you something useful to mages, but when you max your CDR with basically your first 3 items, one of which is Chronos' Pendant, you leave yourself no options like Spirit. You'll usually want to consider items like Celestial Legion Helm (which you did list), Stone of Fal (against high burst magical damage), Dynasty Plate Helm (early item for gank protection against physicals, plus the pen), and Spectral Armor (direct counter to assassins that might look to drop in, like Thor's ult.
Anyway, would like to hear your thoughts. Good start to your guide.
Rvynn | December 7, 2017 5:32pm
Thanks for your feedback. I don't think you fully understand my builds, as what you've suggested, or rather, what you're looking for, has already been published in the other Discordia guide posted by Dann. My builds focus on maximum CDR and mobility.

I don't play conquest very much, and if I do, I play support, not mid. I'd happily "label" my "guide" as such, however, my builds are universal. Item orders and purchases can be different per person and situation, which is why all of my builds are just generalized, with no real purchase order. It is simply the final product, and it is up to the player to determine when they should purchase what.
Branmuffin17 (167) | December 7, 2017 7:46pm
Hi Rvynn, I'm not arguing max CDR, but rather the process by which you're maxing it. Maxing CDR for the pure sake of maxing it (at the expense of other things) is more of what I was getting at. By getting 50% CDR out of your first 4 items (and subsequently selling Sands to bring you back to max) without first getting any pen is just not as optimal to me. It's really an easy fix, by getting Deso before Chronos (e.g. just switch the positions of those two items), and it will definitely enhance your damage...but in the end, this is your build, and I'm just offering my opinion and suggestion.

I understand your build idea, but didn't fully understand your intent of getting basically 40% MS as another core target. I can get behind that as an idea, and if so, I can see decent use out of Shaman's Ring, but still just really don't think Telk is a great item for her. Rather than that added move speed, I think 28% MS between Focus + Shaman's would work well with your other idea, protections, to create something that is versatile and gives you a bit more survivability than just possibly being able to run away if they don't CC you.

Again, my own opinion, and I've tried to keep an open and flexible mind, as shown by my 2nd comment. Figured you wouldn't mind the comment.

Note, I do recognize that you're stating it's up to the player to determine their preferred order. I accept that, but I was more interested in hearing YOUR opinion on that adjustment.

And both the system and I recognize this as a guide (with or without quotation marks)...you're giving direction and tips, not just a basic build, and the content is good.
PeterRow | December 7, 2017 1:43am
Good review. I was thinking the same. You'd better get Sands first then pen boots at least if you're going Chronos early. And as you said, you'll get a hard time stacking Telkhnines, that's exactly was I was thinking, it doesn't belong here at all. And ofc Obsidian is a must. Well done sir. Dynasty, Celestial and Stone of Fal are also really good suggestions.
Branmuffin17 (167) | December 7, 2017 10:28am
Thanks, Peter.

I've been thinking more about this one...I think, a lot of times, I get a bit caught up in aligning everything with Conquest viability (unless otherwise stated). So I'm gonna continue some thought processes. I still really think intended game mode needs to be clarified by the guide creator.
  • Starting Shoes of Focus, THEN getting Sands of Time, is viable in an Arena setting. With base so close, it's safer getting full MS. It'll be very easy to get 800 gold for Sands, and at the price, it's an extremely functional way to quickly get your CDR higher.

• Also in a teamfight setting with a god that has such easy, long-distance poke, higher ability use via Focus, instead of Shoes of the Magi, is okay...Magi really is meant for a slower mode like Conquest, in a setting where a bit of extra damage can mean making the enemy hide under tower/backing and forcing them to lose farm. Not saying it's not functional for all modes, just that Focus is just fine here.

• But with 20% CDR so quickly, I see no need to blast up to 40% CDR. If you get Focus and Sands, it'll be more functional for your damage output to get some pen. Spear of Desolation is a better option next, in my opinion. 20 flat pen will hit hard against squishies, and it ALSO gives you CDR. 30% is PLENTY at this stage of the game. Chronos' Pendant isn't needed so much at that stage...it's a better idea if OP chose Shoes of the Magi, but much less needed with Focus. I don't see why you would look to FORCE yourself to get rid of a functional item like Sands so quickly because you'd overcap CDR. Optimize build order and just sell Sands later.

• Obsidian Shard may not be needed all that much...depends on enemy team comp, but SHOULD be listed as at least an optional item. In Arena, it can be pretty common to see 4 squishies and 1 tank. I'd watch the enemy builds, and if they're not building protections, I might just skip over Shard for another item.
Walkerofskies | December 6, 2017 5:25pm
This works great thanks ❤
Draisaitl (5) | December 6, 2017 12:49am
Guide looks pretty good. Only question I have is why do you alternate between the 1 and the 2 in the leveling order?
Rvynn | December 7, 2017 5:37pm
Draisaitl wrote:

Sorry, I don't think I fully understand your question. It's focused on leveling the 1 over the 2, and filling in the 2 when you can no longer level the 1. Etc.
Draisaitl (5) | December 8, 2017 7:47am
A normal order, prioritizing 1, then 2, then 3, and ult when possible, would look like this:

1, 2, 3, 1, U, 1, 1, 2, U, 1, 2, 2, U, 2, 3, 3, U, 3, 3, U

Sorry if it seems picky but I know when I first started Smite and didn't know what I was looking at (Which will be a decent chunk of people who look at guides, not all of course) I would have auto level on and copy the exact order that I was given. Just want the most out of guides on SF :)
curtainrod | December 4, 2017 8:01pm
Very informative! :D I'll be trying it all out soon.
curtainrod | December 5, 2017 1:29am
Ran several joust and an arena and this guide works really well, thanks.
Rvynn | December 5, 2017 9:13pm
Hey glad you like it! Let me know any additional feedback or comments you may have later on, as well. (: VVGF
saintlel | November 27, 2017 11:21pm