Nu Wa - Don't Try to be a Hero - ARENA GUIDE

December 6, 2018 by DrxFlaskers

DV-8 (20) | December 7, 2018 2:13am
The build looks a lot better now in my opinion.

I respect you for being open and tolerant to feedback, and I commend our community members for offering sound, helpful advice.
Gulfwulf (28) | December 7, 2018 7:13am
Oh yeah, much better. I pretty much always get Divine Ruin, but I can see the case for Spear of Desolation instead.
DrxFlaskers (2) | December 7, 2018 4:40am
Thanks DV-8, I appreciate all the advice from everybody.
boogiebass (20) | December 6, 2018 7:57am
@Branmuffin thoughts on the new iteration? High power is looking good, but not sure if +25 flat pen is gonna cut it. A support just has to build heartward to negate most of this pen.

Build is looking better than its first iteration.

Some advice:
1) describe which item you would replace in your example build with the situationals you posted.
2) don't think the bancrofts is a good idea on her. Sure she could get use out of it: low on health, she could unleash a strong ult, but i still think soul gem is a better option.
3) replace hide with mantle.
Branmuffin17 (232) | December 6, 2018 11:16am
Standard build example is much better.

Keep in mind, 25 flat pen is fine unless you really need to get Obsidian Shard for tanks. Clay Soldiers will be plenty of add...up to 60 protections lost on their target. That even without pen will allow you at full stacks to do true follow-up damage to a squishy with Shining Metal...but the flat pen will help deal more damage with the first hits.

The situationals are good, with the exception of Bancroft's Talon, which I don't think I'd build on her. I would actually list Soul Gem as a situational, even though it's present in the example build, because it really should be situational. It's not a core item.

As for defensive, I continue to agree on Mantle of Discord being the preferred protection item over Hide of the Urchin. Urchin really is a protection item for tanks or bruisers, while Mantle is generally used across the board. At least list it as a defensive option.

But overall...this is now solid and an upvote.
DrxFlaskers (2) | December 6, 2018 12:31pm
Thanks Bran, for future info, how do you determine if a specific item is or is not good on a particular god? Bancrofts for example, It's got good power, a bit of mana, which is good for Nu Wa i think because she has a "one combo" kit basically, and the passive might get her out of a sticky situation if she gets ganked or focused and lands a wombo combo to get some extra life. Also, if she's low she can just use her ult, get a bunch of lifesteal instead of backing just because it'd probably be pretty funny to watch..
Kriega1 (43) | December 4, 2018 4:41am
Why is this a top rated guide? Like did you just completely ignore the builds? Can not even user votes be trusted?
DrxFlaskers (2) | December 5, 2018 5:46am
Guide has been updated. I got rid of everything stacking and went with a more traditional build. I didn't want anyone's PC or console to start smoking or catch on fire if they decided to build a stacking item in Arena... :) That said, Kriega, let me know how it looks now, I appreciate your feedback.
Branmuffin17 (232) | December 5, 2018 10:08am
I'm not Kriega, but I'm going to offer some additional feedback.
  • In arena, for gods where CDR is extremely important, I've found personally that getting Chronos' Pendant ASAP is extremely helpful. Chronos has the highest CDR of any item in the game, due to the passive which gives you an extra second of CD every 10 seconds. This counts as 2-3 of any other typical offensive CDR item. In this situation for Nu Wa, I would probably rush it 2nd.

• But you've already gotten Shoes of Focus 1st, and immediately after Chronos, you've gotten Spear of Desolation. 2 things with that.

1) For an offensive build, you're getting power, but delaying any pen until you get Deso. That's a bit late IMO.

2) You're maxing CDR, and fairly early at that. Remember as I had said below, you don't need to go 40%. You can get a temporary 10% from the mana buff...and you can also get it from a Potion of Magical Might.

It's okay to max CDR, but when you can get other items that have utility and still have a means to hit max, I think you are possibly missing out on optimization.

• To fix the early pen, it's easy...get Shoes of the Magi. Then, as stated, Chronos. If you want more CDR at that point, Spear of Desolation immediately after is fine, and it also gives you pen. Or you might consider a Divine Ruin at that point instead (it's fine that you list as a situational item).

• Doom Orb has some unique features and is actually fairly powerful for the price. In a quick game like Arena, you could see benefit from that early power boost...but based on my above preferences, it would just get squeezed out of my build. I'd prefer getting the early pen and rushing CDR immediately after. But can it work? Sure...just remember, the additional benefit is gained from killing or assisting minions. If I really needed to focus on the minions because no one on my team had decent clear (or heaven forbid, were ignoring the minions), then this would be of more direct benefit. Otherwise, it's iffy to me. Guess it's easy enough for you to stack just by throwing Fog through the wave...but then you lose that utility if you could use it in a fight immediately after. See why I'm not all that high on Doom Orb?

• Ethereal Staff is another questionable pick for me. It's got good power, but the main focus is survivability. You'll be able to stack this pretty easily, and maybe it's a decent option...but as a standard item in the example build, I'd question it, as your main job in this build is damage. I'd keep it as a defensive option.

• In its place, Soul Reaver would be nice. More helpful against tanks, but still provides extra damage against all enemies. And it's got higher power than Ethereal.

• I'm fine with Tahuti last. Makes sense especially for her global damage ult, to help finish off a hurt enemy.

• I think you're okay keeping Soul Gem as a situational item...you had it in your build but got rid of it in this revision. It might be a good option to replace Spear of Desolation, where perhaps just a bit later you get Obsidian Shard instead for more significant pen against tanks.
Wayne3100 (42) | December 4, 2018 11:16pm
It's at the top because it's the only build/guide which was updated for 5.22, not because of the votes (the bar clearly shows that it hasn't only received upvotes).
Gulfwulf (28) | December 4, 2018 6:49am
What do you suggest instead?
Kriega1 (43) | December 4, 2018 8:31am
Not Warlocks in arena?
Kriega1 (43) | November 30, 2018 5:59pm
Why are you building stacks on arena?
Branmuffin17 (232) | November 30, 2018 6:19pm
I build Devourer's Gauntlet on my hunters sometimes in Arena...
Gulfwulf (28) | November 30, 2018 8:15pm
I usually only build Transcendence on hunters if I build a stacking item that's not Soul Eater, though I'll build that as well. Don't worry, I don't build trans on every hunter, just most of them. ;)
Kriega1 (43) | November 30, 2018 7:17pm
Rush bloodforge instead. Especially when your damn teammates don’t let you get minion stacks if you’re stacking something other than soul eater.
Branmuffin17 (232) | November 30, 2018 11:42am
Hey Flaskers,

Alright, arena guide. Welcome to guide-making by the way. It can be fun, but it can also be a pain in the ***.
  • Build 1: First thing I would say is...if you can figure out a way to get away with it, try to avoid Warlock's Staff in Arena. Outside of her Clay Soldiers -> Shining Metal combo, she doesn't have good wave-clear, and you're going to be fighting to get stacks (of which Warlock's has a very high amount). You don't want to blow your main combo on minions, as you really want to be focusing on the enemy gods. Yes, it's nice because it provides high health and she doesn't really have an escape (other than her ult, which just delays things).

If you want to keep Warlock's, that's fine, but I probably wouldn't use Rod of Tahuti, because you've dropped your peak power potential to a degree (at least in comparison to Book of Thoth). I think allowing her to be a bit more scrappy would be functional, so you could consider Mantle of Discord, and make it so she's harder to kill and can stay in fights longer.

Another thing to keep in mind...you've maxed CDR. That's not bad, necessarily, as having a full 40% is extremely reliable, but remember you can get 10% CDR from the blue buff or a Potion of Magical Might. With the presence of Chronos' Pendant, that alone is almost like having 30ish% just by itself due to the passive. It means you can get more pen via Shoes of the Magi if you'd like.

If you're looking to hang around more in fights, you might consider an alternative to Soul Reaver...something with a bit more group utility. Soul Gem would get you back up to 40% (unless you switched Spear of Desolation out for Obsidian Shard against a tanky comp, for example), but that provides some decent group function. Just ideas, rather than having just one set build list, it'd be nice to see alternatives (like Divine Ruin).

• Build 2: Still stacking, but this time with Book of Thoth. Since this is arena, you might consider a 3rd build with no stacking. This build looks fine overall though...but I don't remember how Spear of the Magus works with her kit. The key here is hits from the soldiers...I don't think they provide Magus stacks, but I could be wrong. You can get stacks also from Fog, but that's easy to avoid in most cases so a bit unreliable. Should have an option for Obsidian Shard, I think.

• Redesigned Build Listing: Rather than a set build, you could present the builds differently. The build 1 tab could be stacking, and you break it down with options. Show both Magi and Focus Shoes under "movement options" or something, show "stacking options" with both Warlock's and Thoth (still suggest dropping Warlock's), etc. See some of my god guides for examples on how to present item options in a single tab.

• Your writeup on Mysterious Fog is hilarious and also true. People (including me) definitely avoid it most of the time. I know it doesn't cause much damage, but I would say I also prefer not taking any damage if it doesn't hurt me to just go around it.

• If you're looking to add tips on how to use the abilities, you might mention letting the Soldiers hit their target multiple times to stack protection reductions before exploding them with Metal. And you might mention good use for her ult in a fight is after she's blown all of her other abilities, since they have somewhat long CD even with CDR. It takes her out of the fight for a few seconds, and if she doesn't have any other abilities up, she's not doing all that much.
DrxFlaskers (2) | December 3, 2018 12:40pm
Thanks for the feedback Bran, I made a couple preliminary changes so far. I added an alternate build on the build 1 page and added Ethereal Staff as an option. Im not 100% sure about the passive and whether it affecting the clay soldiers is even beneficial or not, but I'll do the same for the Book of Thoth build.