Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

What a God Reveal Should Be

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » What a God Reveal Should Be 32 posts - page 1 of 4

Poll Question:

Buggrit
Millenium Hand
Shrimp
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 23, 2014 6:23am | Report

Firstly, lore. It's not something that is strictly necessary, but if you choose to do it, it's important to do it right. You shouldn't toss out this half-***ed story that's a rehashed summary of already known myths - you should be giving people a reason to fight, a reason to exist as a god fighting other gods. (For example, Thanatos.) But 90% of the lores is "this god did this...wants to fight because" or "no one knows this guy and/or how he's back."

Second, when you explain how to use a champion, you need to do more than simply show what each ability can do. You need to show how they're actually used in a real game. Use this to kite, use this to check, use this to kill-secure...etc.

Compare that to Smite..."As the god of BLANK, BLANK does not BLANK as he BLANKS." "He BLANKS, securing the triple kill." "BLANK kills this guy and chases another guy, securing the double kill." I mean, holy ****, it's a laundry list. I know Smite gods are really simple and intuitive to play, but come on, really? It's like reading a summary of events rather than some actual instruction, because that's what it is.

As for the itemization, I don't blame Smite for once, as even if they if they were trying to do reveals properly, they wouldn't have good enough itemization to do so. But still, for newer players' sake, they should at least put in the standard build items, and then explain why.

For example, Ronan gets Conquest because its Polynomicon-esque effect is multiplied and proc'd by his steroid/dash, and due to his constant dashing, he can trigger it often. As opposed to other ADCs, who either have longer cooldowns or have different kinds of steroids, like on-hit percent health damage or an attack speed buff.

Overall, a god reveal needs to be informative, helpful, and show an understanding of the god and its mechanics and how it interacts with the rest of the game - beyond "use this ultimate to get a double." And Smite isn't up to par.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » October 23, 2014 6:48am | Report
I've mostly stayed out of these kind of discussions but...

Lore is a strict concept of Smite that shouldn't be taken away just because League doesn't have it. It's one of the major things that makes Smite unique in the MOBA genre.

My general opinion is the god reveal just revealing the god's kit and appearance to whomever didn't tune into the stream or don't go on Reddit. I personally like how it's done so when the god is released only the smarter players or players who understand the kit better will play proficiently with the god. I guess they could add in a little section of combos or extra things in gameplay but personally don't think it's needed. The reveals tell you the most appropriate skill order (usually) and I feel that that isn't even needed.

Nobody pays attention to itemization in god reveals. Very few including maybe you pay attention to the itemization during the reveals. You have to be a pretty observant person to do it! I can say as a fact most people are more interested in the god than the 10 slots at the bottom of the screen. I do agree with you but really it's not the most important thing to be fixed on the god reveals.

Not sure why League has to be compared to Smite here. Many people think Hi-Rez is doing a fine way of doing their god reveals. Just because Riot has succeeded in their game doesn't mean everything has to be the same as LoL. People complain of how similar Smite is to LoL to a point it's a ripoff but then they complain how it's not more like League. Pick a side

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 23, 2014 7:01am | Report
Greenevers wrote:

I've mostly stayed out of these kind of discussions but...

Lore is a strict concept of Smite that shouldn't be taken away just because League doesn't have it. It's one of the major things that makes Smite unique in the MOBA genre.
Are you for real? Smite has some of the WORST, THREADBARE lore in any MOBA. Have you even looked at Dawngate's lore at all, or League's lore? You sound like you speak out of ignorance, because you seem to be under the impression that quality lore in MOBAs is exclusive to Smite, which is both laughable and wrong on all counts.

Greenevers wrote:
My general opinion is the god reveal just revealing the god's kit and appearance to whomever didn't tune into the stream or don't go on Reddit. I personally like how it's done so when the god is released only the smarter players or players who understand the kit better will play proficiently with the god. I guess they could add in a little section of combos or extra things in gameplay but personally don't think it's needed. The reveals tell you the most appropriate skill order (usually) and I feel that that isn't even needed.
So in other words, you're saying that god reveals need to literally show kits and nothing else. Not how to use the god, not what the god is good at, just the kit and nothing else.

Greenevers wrote:
Nobody pays attention to itemization in god reveals. Very few including maybe you pay attention to the itemization during the reveals. You have to be a pretty observant person to do it! I can say as a fact most people are more interested in the god than the 10 slots at the bottom of the screen. I do agree with you but really it's not the most important thing to be fixed on the god reveals.
Sigh. I never said it was THE most important thing, and you only think that because you've never played a top-down MOBA and understood it. Not all games have literally one build path for each role.

Regardless, items are important if the game's itemization is complex and diverse enough. It's a directly proportional relationship - as complexity and diversity grows, the possible confusion and need for direction also rises.

Greenevers wrote:
Not sure why League has to be compared to Smite here. Many people think Hi-Rez is doing a fine way of doing their god reveals. Just because Riot has succeeded in their game doesn't mean everything has to be the same as LoL. People complain of how similar Smite is to LoL to a point it's a ripoff but then they complain how it's not more like League. Pick a side
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HOW ARE YOU THIS DENSE.

This is DAWNGATE. Not LEAGUE. Did you even look at the videos, or do you just assume that all top-down MOBAs are League of Legends?

Also, there's a difference between copying QUALITY and copying CONTENT. You're telling me that copying an ability or a champion's kit is the same as making sure that god reveal videos are held to a similar standard.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » October 23, 2014 7:04am | Report
Honestly, LoL pretty much have the same with that dawngate

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » October 23, 2014 7:28am | Report
didn't even need to watch the video pretty much sums up what I say about the same thing

Replace all the lol's with dawngate if that makes you happy. Excuse my lack of knowledge of top down moba's which I really want nothing to do with

This is why I don't participate in these discussions. Pointless arguing about nothing that's going to happen. If you have a real problem about how this works post something on Reddit or maybe the Smite forums, at least there you'll get hate over there instead of friendly discussions.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 23, 2014 8:14am | Report
Greenevers wrote:

didn't even need to watch the video pretty much sums up what I say about the same thing

Replace all the lol's with dawngate if that makes you happy. Excuse my lack of knowledge of top down moba's which I really want nothing to do with

This is why I don't participate in these discussions. Pointless arguing about nothing that's going to happen. If you have a real problem about how this works post something on Reddit or maybe the Smite forums, at least there you'll get hate over there instead of friendly discussions.

Maybe you shouldn't bother to EVER participate in a discussion, because it seems you're too busy being presumptuous and lazy to even try to understand the topic of the conversation.

If you want random people interjecting on conversations while displaying near-total ignorance about the topic at hand, go to the Youtube comments section.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » October 23, 2014 8:18am | Report
If you have a real problem about how this works post something on Reddit or maybe the Smite forums, at least there you'll get hate over there instead of friendly discussions.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » October 23, 2014 8:26am | Report
Down sub down! Heel boy!
jk

Don't do something you might regret guys. Just talk about it, and don't try to get to "passionately" about this subject.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » October 23, 2014 8:29am | Report
I'll at least agree on them not really being useful when showing gameplay. But since they've already explicitly gone over what each skill does in length, I don't think they need to stretch out the gameplay description too far either, because they're already describing the gameplay as it happens, leaving little room for more words. (Holy run on sentence, god I hate myself for that.)

Lore...eh. They go over a general sense of who the god is, what problems the god has that would inspire either interdiety (that's now a word btw) issues or personal/moral issues, thus leading into why they'd join Smite's fight, even if it's a loose description.

For items, I wouldn't mind a 15-20 second segment for general builds, but since everything is so disappointingly cookie-cutter in builds (Like every role has 3-5 core items it's pretty bad and we all know that) there's not much room for it, since every video would have the exact same item list.

Nonetheless, I can wholeheartedly agree that smite's god reveal can be improved upon. I just also think that what it does have is decent, and should be seen as a decent thing, not a horrific one. I know that's a wishywashy bland answer, but that's genuinely how I feel about it.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HolyPudding » October 23, 2014 8:59am | Report
I have no idea what this forum has come to. Someone change the name of the site to "Oestrogenfire"
"We are none but friends

All born to the same forum

Why not live in peace?"

HolyPudding

Established (19)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }