Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dev Insight - Nox, Goddess of the Night

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » News » Dev Insight - Nox, Goddess of the Night 3 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » October 23, 2014 6:13pm | Report

The Design Team has answered your burning questions about the newest SMITE Goddess Nox.

LORE/BACKSTORY

What are the most prominent themes in Nox's lore?

Nox is characterized as a shadowy god that literally is the night. She is the mother of Death, Sleep and Dreams among others. Nox, like Chronos in SMITE, is a primordial deity and has existed as long as the night and dreams of the first creatures to roam the early world. She is among the oldest of all beings in the SMITE universe; hence, even the mightiest of gods fear her dark embrace.

DESIGN

How does Nox's kit/playstyle differ from other mage's play styles?

Nox is a control mage with strong harass potential. Nox is capable of denying other gods the freedom of frequently using abilities. Other players have to think twice about when they use abilities around her.

What is your vision for this character and how will it fit into SMITE?
The vision for Nox is for her to be a counter-pick for gods that have high burst abilities or high sustain in the lane. She'll be very challenging to face if you don't aggress her early in the match.

Kaostic asks: What ideas were thrown out for Nox's design?
Mainly things that we haven't really experimented with in Smite thus far, for example having Nox hide herself inside friendly shadows. However, once we settled her overall design goals, "escapability" and additional movement by stepping into shadows didn't make sense for Nox.

What were some fun bugs/stories that occurred during the playtests and development of Nox?
At one point during testing, one of her abilities was doing 4X the amount of damage it was supposed to be doing and she would just go around melting people. That was a fun playtest. We played another test where her Ultimate was twice-over bugged; dealing True Damage and also triggering when *anyone* used an ability, not just the linked target. HirezChris was playing Ares, and at the start of a big team-fight Nox ulted him... and he just vanished! 3,000 True damage in a second. We couldn't stop laughing... but he wasn't too happy.

BALANCE AND DIRECTION

How does this new addition improve SMITE as a whole? What's New?

Nox's design and combat style is very preemptive. Her passive, shield, and ultimate require enemy players to take action to be effective; and that's something new we haven't really done to this degree. As an enemy player fighting Nox, it adds extra consideration around when you should dump your abilities, and the cost of doing so!

What can you recommend for first time Nox players and what does she excel at?
Nox is very strong against heavy ability users, or characters with low cooldowns like He Bo. However, without a dedicated movement ability, and with her ultimate and passive not triggering on basic attacks, she is vulnerable to characters building for in-hand damage. In addition, her only CC is a silence, so you need to be very careful about your positioning versus Hunters and certain Assassin's; you're not going to delay that damage from them. The timing on the shield also adds another reactive element to her play style that should be used carefully.

Nox joins the battleground of the Gods in the newest update next week!

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » October 23, 2014 8:15pm | Report
I feel like her ult (THe one with the reducing colddown) should of been her passive. Mana in the late game is nothing.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nex The Slayer » October 24, 2014 2:29am | Report
I have to admit, she sounds pretty cool. Also nice to see that Hi-rez is truing to make mages that aren't just burst.

Nex The Slayer

Prominent (37)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }